General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying from america any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2008, 08:55 PM
focusjohn
St.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from america any advice.

Looking into buying paint from america basicly becuase they kick the shit out of us at the choice and range ect any one any tips on saving postage and anything i should watch out for.
Old 30-05-2008, 08:58 PM
fordrallycar
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask them to mark the item up as a gift then you donot pay as much import duty
Old 30-05-2008, 09:03 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Doesnt seem to make a difference if you mark it as 'gift' now. Its a bit hit and miss on whether youll end up paying import duty and vat or not. I know someone who asks them to leave the value box blank and he's got away with it over 10 times.

If your willing to take the risk, ask them to mark it up at $50 then you wont have to pay anything. Obviousloy if it goes missing though, you can only claim back that amount, so its a gamble. Although ive done this loads of times now and never had anything go missing.

Last edited by S1rst; 30-05-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:05 PM
focusjohn
St.

Think ill take the risk tbh and get it marked at Ł50. Any one know where i can sort shipping to see if i can get it cheaper as paint is 50 odd quid for 8 litres and they want as much again for shipping.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:09 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I marked mine at 50 dollars not 50 pounds mate. Just check what the limit is as it probably keeps changing. Dont forget youll have to pay vat, import duty, then the courier charge if it goes over the threshold.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:15 PM
focusjohn
St.

Cheers mate ill value it low as dont want to get stung for any more.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:26 PM
ricky
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

it all depends on the day i think igot stuff from the state cost over Ł2000 came on ups van
to my door never pay a penny another time got stuff again worth qround Ł70 add to go collect it from parcel force depot ending up paying around Ł38 b4 they release it to me
so i think it all depends on who they ship with i think
Old 31-05-2008, 12:05 AM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by focusjohn
Looking into buying paint from america basicly becuase they kick the shit out of us at the choice and range ect any one any tips on saving postage and anything i should watch out for.
I live in Canada and used to live in the UK so I know the attraction of buying from North America as stuff is so cheap over here and a better selection. It's just a thought, as I doubt if they will send you paint (HAZMAT and all that) why don't you get the paint formula and have it mixed in the UK. We can't get paint shipped from USA to Canada so we mix our own.
Old 31-05-2008, 12:31 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

the risk with getting the value marked down from the sender, is if it gets lost in the post, the insurance will only pay out what the value was marked as.

as for shipping from USA, i usually find USPS is cheapest and quickest, often 2-3 days and i once had something arrive the next day from USA (i was well fucking shocked!)