General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how do i claim my bank charges back?

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2008, 12:26 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i claim my bank charges back?

anyone know?

i didn't know it was possible but i've been advised that i can claim my over draft charges back!

if anyone knows how i'd go about it and could shed some light on the matter that would be a massive help!!!

thanx in advance!
Old 26-05-2008, 12:27 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a look through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

I'm quite sure there is currently a court case so you can't do anything about it until that has been done with.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:31 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
Have a look through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

I'm quite sure there is currently a court case so you can't do anything about it until that has been done with.
hope that isn't the case.... i want my fooking money back....

im sure the guys from work said they have already done it and got their money??
Old 26-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

i got my money back a few years ago from doing this
Old 26-05-2008, 12:32 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Plenty of people did get their money back, I sadly didn't get round do taking it up with my bank till it was too late.

TBH its not look promising
Old 26-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

not been funny, but if u went over drawn with out the facilities, then they have a right to charge.

im no better, my business has been over a few times when materials go out and the cheques dont come in in time.

Trending Topics

Old 26-05-2008, 12:39 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
not been funny, but if u went over drawn with out the facilities, then they have a right to charge.

im no better, my business has been over a few times when materials go out and the cheques dont come in in time.
I think its more of the fact that they charge you Ł25 to send you a computer generated letter that takes the piss.

I've been over a few times but tbh not enough times to say I have a lot of money owed to me by them.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

I think its more of the fact that they charge you Ł25 to send you a computer generated letter that takes the piss.

I've been over a few times but tbh not enough times to say I have a lot of money owed to me by them.
yeh i know. i dont have an overdraft facility, but very occasionaly do go over. and its the risk i take, if i go over, then they have a right to charge me.

if i set up an overdraft facility and pay the anual Ł100 for the privilage then fair dos. but i dont, i take the risk, just the same as the people above have, the price is a bank charge!
Old 26-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

dont they only send them out once then dont tell you if you go over it just comes on your statement saying next month we are taking this of you?? well thats what natwest done
Old 26-05-2008, 12:48 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by ** T **
dont they only send them out once then dont tell you if you go over it just comes on your statement saying next month we are taking this of you?? well thats what natwest done
I can't actually remember, years ago I went through a stage of being totally unreliable with keeping up with my account and got myself in trouble most months which ended up in charges.

More recently I actually miss judged a payment and went over my overdraft, they sent me a letter to inform me but said as I had not been in any debt with them for so long they allowed the cheque to clear and didn't charge me

I now use internet banking so I can be sure I have the money there before I make any payments
Old 26-05-2008, 12:56 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Halifax decided they would try to honour a DD that I had cancelled 2 weeks prior, this was because I had paid off the item in a full and final settlement to the company where I bought it.
In doing so as I was changing banks I left oo little money in to cover what did NOT need covering, so they slapped me with a Ł35 fee for failed DD(that had been cancelled).
This put the other DD's in peril, so they couldn't pay them, so slapped another 4 Ł35 charges, so now up to Ł175 due to thier mistake.
I claimed for this about 1 year ago, got Ł175 out of them in the end.
I do beleive that the banks are NOT paying out now pending the court case outcome.
tabetha
Old 26-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mate i think its the piss take considering then DONT ACTUALLY PAY THE BILL ANYWAY !!!

bounce a payment for 4 quid, be charged 40 quid and STILL not have it paied,,,, would be BETTER off is they paied the bill and then took the remaining balance when you had the funds,,,, just MY opinion anyway !

ive YET to have a bank charge as im too tight to leave the cash issue YET ive changed accounts and the direct debits have STILL been requested on BOTH accounts,,, i was gonan be charged for this when the BANK was ment to have changed them over for me,,,,, they agreed FINALLY that is aint my issue and they see why it happened,,,, though it was cause i was gonna close my account and go else where,,,, being i had a few quid in the new accout which was transfered over ONLY caue they would allow me to pay money in over the counter on the basic card cash account and had to use a box for it

banks are cunts for stuff like this,,,,, i mean how can they argue with MY case when theres over 7k in the NEW account THEY said i needed to open hence the change over ???
Old 26-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The charges that are in dispute are in did the 'fines' you get for bouncing a cheque or going over an overdraft. These fines have been deemed unlawful. All the literature that a bank customer receives states that the charge is to cover administration costs. It was proven that it cost Barclays about Ł1.50, yet they charge an unlawful Ł35. These are the charges that customers are demanding are returned and quite frankly I couldn't agree more.

If they were to inform you that it was a fine then as a customer I would have to say fair enough I screwed up and now I'm gonna get fined for it. But when they say its only to cover their admin charges then they're takin' the piss. Makes a change t#for the British public to stand up to these huge companies and actually win !

(just me two penneth worth !)
Old 26-05-2008, 07:13 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going over your limit fine,but when u set up a limit they let u go over it and charge you for it,is tht fiar?!i think not
Old 26-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Frogford

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
going over your limit fine,but when u set up a limit they let u go over it and charge you for it,is tht fiar?!i think not
That's whats being disputed. They do not state that it is a fine, yet in effect it is, hence the OFT declaring the charge unlawful.
Old 26-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

currently, the investigation is ongoing, so all claims are on hold, ie - u can't get anything back at the moment.
Old 26-05-2008, 07:39 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The court recently went against the banks, however all claims are on hold until it goes to appeal. I'm not sure now is a great time to be pulling money out of banks with the current credit crunch.
Old 26-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Frogford

Originally Posted by Rick
currently, the investigation is ongoing, so all claims are on hold, ie - u can't get anything back at the moment.
But it is advisable to start the ball rolling in reclaiming four bank charges. Its well worth spending your free hours reading www.consumeractiongroup.com for advice. Don't forget if and when the final judgement is passed it'll be on a first come first serve basis. If you start now then your claim will be further up the ladder to those who have yet to start.