General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

anyone done a driving holiday in europe ?

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone done a driving holiday in europe ?

thinking of holiday ideas for this year, wanna ideally go to euro disney then some other places in europe before heading off to a nice beach for a few days then driving back

need ideas on where to go that would be relaxing and also interesting for a kid, just wanna do something different tbh

cheers for help if you can
Old 26-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like fun but with the costs of fuel i guess a driving holiday wouldnt be cheap
Old 26-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i know it aint cheep, but then tbh its more interesting and something with a few things in

i HATE hiring cars when i go on holiday and that with the price of flights for 3 people will still come to a fair bit

i enjoyed taking the scooby to germany and the drive was fun ( more fun on the way back )

im tempted to drive to spain but worried its too far to enjoy so hoping for other ideas

i think driving to eurodisney will be fun for the little one for a few days, then what other places are there before chilling and building sandcastles
Old 26-05-2008, 11:24 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

fuel is still cheaper in euroland than here, especially diesel, but with the strong euro this year it will still be costly.

i have done a road trip last year in switzerland and highly recommend that, but not the same as what you want to do. the problem you have is that euro disney is not particularly near any beaches. if you want reliable good warm weather for the beach stint, you're talking south of france or spain. there are other options though, like lakes.

how long do you want to go for and how many miles to cover? presumably you don't want to be driving much with a kid? to be honest, it's probably not the best idea
Old 26-05-2008, 11:30 AM
filthyrichie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.caravaning-4vents.fr/

we stayed here last year spot on , close to huge shopping area and 10 mins fom mickey land

not sure if camping is your bag but we enjoyed it and it kept costs down

france was ace to drive in we did cherbourg region too

i took 6 year old lad and 8 month baby

Last edited by filthyrichie; 26-05-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 26-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cheers people, its not about the price tbh, its about generaly exploring of europe, wanna have my little one understand europe more rather than always do the holidays in spain with english people if that makes sence

but its still gotta have kids stuff attached as shes still a child

driving distance aint a issue as i will be stopping off on the way which is the ideas im looking for, will prob be over 2 weeks too
Old 26-05-2008, 11:54 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
cheers people, its not about the price tbh, its about generaly exploring of europe, wanna have my little one understand europe more rather than always do the holidays in spain with english people if that makes sence

but its still gotta have kids stuff attached as shes still a child

driving distance aint a issue as i will be stopping off on the way which is the ideas im looking for, will prob be over 2 weeks too
I know what you are saying regarding the Spanish-English resorts. If you do the driving Holiday you have to be sure the kid will be happy being in the car for long periods of time and remember that its your holiday to, nothing worse than just driving round places and not being able to kick back and relax. Personally I would take the family to Eurodisney on the channel tunnel and then when done there take another train to the south of france.

It may cost you more this way but it means you can kick back and relax and as for driving in Paris, err no thanks they are proper nutters!

Trending Topics

Old 26-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its just a idea at the min, missus aint up for it at all ( yet )

hence me needing a plan

its sounds on ideas the perfect holiday, 3 days at disney, then somewhere else then onto the beach for a few days before driving back home

long distance driving aint a issue with my little one ( within reason ) as shes done long distance a few times
Old 26-05-2008, 12:32 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

ive just been back from a driving holiday in france stooped at a siblu park about 50 miles from disneyland, driving was a breeze got early at dover and they put us on a earlier ferry so that was great, got off the other side and roads in france are a breeze, hardly any traffic, only mare i had was we went to see my great grandads war grave in france and the sat nav takes you to the area not the exact address so had a mare finding it but found the park wherer we was stopping really easy.
Never hit one speed camera in france and no jams even going to disneyland, only thing is there is a lot of toll roads and you get a ticket when you get on and if younspeed they fine you at the other end but i just stook to the eighty limit anyway.
Only weird thing is if youre in a town any roads to the right you have to give way to which with a few near misses i got used to
I really enjoyed it and were going again next year, loads of mad castles etc to see in france and i enjoyed the hastle free driving
Old 26-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cheers for the info so far, this is looking to be a cool idea with all the info im getting from here, just need a beach area and a place between and im sorted
Old 26-05-2008, 01:26 PM
turbotoaster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

well me and my family have done driving holidays 4 times so i guess i have a good understanding.

The last one was for 3 weeks which we did go to disney, here is the route we took

Drive to dover, boat it over, drive down to frejus(south of france) lovely place, hot weather and lovely beaches, right next door to cannes and monaco.....so u have some great days out(also driving around the monaco circuit is fun)

then we travelled to italy, stayed there for a week, visited venice and the surrounding areas, popped up to swiss for the day(the great scenery, watching men mow mountains is awesome, very postcard views) dont visit there capital as its shit, looks like my local town centre.

then on the way back we stopped at paris for the week, visited disney, walked around the capital and took in the atmosphere and generally enjoyed the culture

it was a brilliant holiday, one of the best weve ever had, this was over 3weeks tho and i prob did 2000miles at least but worth it, if u cut the middle week out i think that would be perfect for u

what your thoughts?
Old 26-05-2008, 01:37 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

By far the nicest place in europe is the area round lake como in Italy. Go there if you get the chance!

If you like theme parks try "Europa Park Rust". It's in south Germany but very close to the French border. They have some wild rollercoasters...
Old 26-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by turbotoaster
well me and my family have done driving holidays 4 times so i guess i have a good understanding.

The last one was for 3 weeks which we did go to disney, here is the route we took

Drive to dover, boat it over, drive down to frejus(south of france) lovely place, hot weather and lovely beaches, right next door to cannes and monaco.....so u have some great days out(also driving around the monaco circuit is fun)

then we travelled to italy, stayed there for a week, visited venice and the surrounding areas, popped up to swiss for the day(the great scenery, watching men mow mountains is awesome, very postcard views) dont visit there capital as its shit, looks like my local town centre.

then on the way back we stopped at paris for the week, visited disney, walked around the capital and took in the atmosphere and generally enjoyed the culture

it was a brilliant holiday, one of the best weve ever had, this was over 3weeks tho and i prob did 2000miles at least but worth it, if u cut the middle week out i think that would be perfect for u

what your thoughts?
THAT sounds the best idea so far !!!

pm me links of where your stayed ect if possible, im REALLY loving the idea so far too

that will sell the missus i recon as it sound just relaxing !!!
Old 27-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd seriously look at comparing the cost of your trip to Europe with the cost of going to somewhere like Orlando in the USA.

With the Pound weak against the Euro and strong against the Dollar the USA is a bit of a bargain right now for everything from theme park tickets to eating and drinking, clothes, souvenirs, etc.

Hire cars and fuel are cheap and its a whole different driving experience over there, and you are pretty much guaranteed the weather.

My wife and I went to Gran Canaria for a week just before Christmas and couldn't believe how expensive everything had got, including simple meals in ordinary restaurants. Looking back and comparing to our experiences in Miami, Key West and Naples in July, it will be a long time before we holiday in Euroland again.