General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Loft conversions........

Search this Thread

Old 23-05-2008, 07:39 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loft conversions........

Im going to be attempting a loft conversion and was just wondering if anyone on here has done one or does them for a living (builders maybe).

I obviously have to apply for planning permission, but am i legally allowed to do it myself or does it have to be done by a qualified person/builder?

Anyone give me a rough idea of whats involved and the materials id need. Ive planned to just do a bit at a time as and when i can.

Out of interest, what would be the cost roughly for a pro to do a conversion on a 3 bed semi? I realise it will vary depending on who does it and how its finished but just after a rough idea to decide whether its worth me doing it myself.

Old 23-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Lee1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Lee Reynolds should be able to give you some advice off the posts ive read.
Old 23-05-2008, 07:51 PM
D7AKE
Advanced PassionFord User

You may not need Planning if you are using Velux windows, depending on their position, but you will need Bulding Regulation Consent. Depending on what you have there already you will need to upgrade the existing ceiling to foor joists and depending on how many stories it will become, you will need fire doors on each of the habitable rooms and one for the top storey depending on how many rooms you are having up in the loft conversion. Concider a product such as Tri Iso super 10, most Local Authority BC dept accept this with an additional 25mm insulation for the roof along with eaves and ridge ventilation. You may need steelwork for both rafters and floor depending on what you have existing and spans etc. Expect o pay Ł650 per square metre as a costing. But loft onversions can be done very cheaply some for way less than Ł10,000 especially if your doing it yourself....
Old 23-05-2008, 08:48 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

https://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/235986-attic-conversions.html
Old 24-05-2008, 08:16 AM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have just had mine done and it was 20k all in including all regs etc, I am very happy with it and before it was done I thought I could have maybe tackled it, well there is no way I could have done what they did, its much harder than it looks, replacing floor joists steels etc.
We were lucky and didn't lose any room as we had the stairs put in the space of a walk in wardrobe and they now come off the hallway.
It has made a real difference to the house and would recommend it though
Old 24-05-2008, 08:24 AM
mikelomax
MOUSE

if you need stairs give me a shout

regards
mike
Old 24-05-2008, 08:26 AM
stage 3 muppet
Regular Contributor