General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Will i get a ticket???????

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 01:14 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will i get a ticket???????

I was sat at some red lights in London yesterday when i heard a police car behind with its sirens on. I obviously had to go through the red light to let them past. I used my common sense and went through but waited on the corner until they turned green so wasnt blocking any other traiffic coming the other way. Anyway, i got bloody flashed by the traffic light cameras.

Do you think ill get a ticket? Im guessing i will knowing this backward country.

Anyway, on a lighter note, these traffic car drivers are bloody good drivers to plough through London traffic like they do. I wouldnt like to do it, especially with the standard of driving that Londoners have.
Old 21-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

under the circumstances i would simply appeal if you get a ticket, if its flashed to say youve gone through a red it will also have flashed the police car
Old 21-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

They were obviously sick of waiting in traffic like all the other mugs & thought "the doughnut shop closes in 10 minutes - right blue's & two's"

If you do get a ticket just write back telling them what happened as they should also have a picture of the police car going through too & that will back your case up
Old 21-05-2008, 01:18 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
under the circumstances i would simply appeal if you get a ticket, if its flashed to say youve gone through a red it will also have flashed the police car

thats what i would have thought mate, surely if it flashed you the cops got it too. Good luck though......you may need it!
Old 21-05-2008, 01:21 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well i was thinking that because i went through and it flashed me, then it may not have got the police car by the time it reset or something? I only just got through before the police car got to the lights, so it went through probably just after it flashed me.

Anyway, ill wait and see if anything comes through. I can see me having some extra hassle from this knowing my luck.
Old 21-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have thought that you would get a ticket as there is no legal requirement to move over for the police., and going by reading ask the Police it seems to be something you have to prove, rather than they disprove, and they most certainly do not condone you commiting an offence

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q699.htm

The police cannot condone but understand that people may have to make way for emergency vehicles when they are responding to an emergency and they may have to commit an offence in order to do so e.g. move slightly forward through a red light to allow the vehicle to pass.
However this must only be done where it is safe for all concerned and should only be done for emergency vehicles that have their warning signals on.
For instances where this occurrence is captured by a red light camera the photographic evidence will show this is what happened because they will be either seen on the photographs or will activate the camera themselves and there will usually be no further action taken in respect of the offence. However, each force may have a different policy on this matter
To satisfy the police, the photographic evidence must show an emergency vehicle otherwise they would be unable to accept this reason as a defence for committing the offence and the matter would be dealt with through the Magistrates court. The police may accept other independent evidence but you may need to seek legal advice on this matter.
Each case is dealt with on its own merit and the circumstances will be considered before the appropriate action will be taken.

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 21-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 01:47 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

One went to court, moved for fire brigade, and he got a ticket.
Is outrageous.
When doing my driving instructor training I asked where you stood, matey said you were being directed by emergency services - obviously not if court upheld blokes ticket.
So all you can do is sit there, rather than risk 3 points.
Old 21-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by C4llyT
So all you can do is sit there, rather than risk 3 points.
Looks that way, I've been looking in the highway code and can not yet find a section which states it is law to move out of the way of a police vehicle.
Old 21-05-2008, 02:49 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

See police are qualified to direct traffic - unsure of other services - so at least if it's cops can't see it being a problem as they're directing you, but not sure, and wouldn't like to push the point with a camera.
Old 21-05-2008, 03:19 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If directed by POLICE or a TRAFFIC warden on the highway it is an OFFENCE not to do as instructed.
tabetha
Old 21-05-2008, 03:24 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd ring the police bloody quickly, tell them the situation and get them to confirm that there was a car with sirens on at that time, on that road. But do it quickly! If you lodge the issue with them it will be on file. Make a note of the times and the people that you speak to if it does go to court!
Old 21-05-2008, 03:25 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

the lights may have turned to green by the time the police got there. just think of how many people use that excuse tho. might be worth going to the local plod and asking know there would surely remember seeing you parked on the corner?
Old 21-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
I would have thought that you would get a ticket as there is no legal requirement to move over for the police., and going by reading ask the Police it seems to be something you have to prove, rather than they disprove, and they most certainly do not condone you commiting an offence

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q699.htm

The police cannot condone but understand that people may have to make way for emergency vehicles when they are responding to an emergency and they may have to commit an offence in order to do so e.g. move slightly forward through a red light to allow the vehicle to pass.
However this must only be done where it is safe for all concerned and should only be done for emergency vehicles that have their warning signals on.
For instances where this occurrence is captured by a red light camera the photographic evidence will show this is what happened because they will be either seen on the photographs or will activate the camera themselves and there will usually be no further action taken in respect of the offence. However, each force may have a different policy on this matter
To satisfy the police, the photographic evidence must show an emergency vehicle otherwise they would be unable to accept this reason as a defence for committing the offence and the matter would be dealt with through the Magistrates court. The police may accept other independent evidence but you may need to seek legal advice on this matter.
Each case is dealt with on its own merit and the circumstances will be considered before the appropriate action will be taken.
As per this. Happened round these parts about a year ago. Cant find the related story on our website at the minute.
Old 21-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

This will interest you but it does not add hope to your case

https://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/240122-got-to-goto-court-over-redlight-jump-help.html

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 21-05-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 03:56 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
If directed by POLICE or a TRAFFIC warden on the highway it is an OFFENCE not to do as instructed.
tabetha
So can't say same for fire brigade - as per court case I'm aware of, or ambulances?
Shit really.
Old 21-05-2008, 04:48 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh dear. So it doesnt look good then. Ive got the rough time that it happened. The lights were definatly on red when the police car (unmarked blue mondeo) went through but i didnt see it flash another 2 times for him. Only seemed to flash for me as he was only a split second behind me so may not have registered.

The passenger acknowledged me and waved so he may remember it if it comes to it.

Also, the camera would have got me pulling in front of the car in the left hand lane so maybe they could put two and two together by my positioning anyway.

Ill just have to wait and see i suppose, but if i do get a ticket, and i get done for it, then what a joke that would be.

I best get it reported as a few mentioned above. Cheers all.

Last edited by S1rst; 21-05-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 04:54 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by S1rst
Oh dear. So it doesnt look good then. Ive got the rough time that it happened. The lights were definatly on red when the police car (unmarked blue mondeo) went through but i didnt see it flash another 2 times for him. Only seemed to flash for me as he was only a split second behind me so may not have registered.

The passenger acknowledged me and waved so he may remember it if it comes to it.

Also, the camera would have got me pulling in front of the car in the left hand lane so maybe they could put two and two together by my positioning anyway.

Ill just have to wait and see i suppose, but if i do get a ticket, and i get done for it, then what a joke that would be.

I best get it reported as a few mentioned above. Cheers all.

so you know the car it was, get down there rodnie(sp)
Old 21-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

I think the biggest concerns are displayed in bold. The Police have clarified that if you make way it is still and offence

The police cannot condone but understand that people may have to make way for emergency vehicles when they are responding to an emergency and they may have to commit an offence
The police have also stated that they can not condone this action

The definition of condone is:
excuse: excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with; "excuse someone's behavior"; "She condoned her husband's occasional infidelities"
This means basically you are still breaking the law and the police will not make allowance or be lenient looks like your on your own