General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Your favorite Lp/Album/ concept Cd?

Search this Thread

Old 22-05-2008, 02:11 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt

Old 22-05-2008, 02:39 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

oasis - definitely maybe
beatles - white album
never mind the bollocks - sex pistols
radiohead - ok computer

just to name a couple
Old 22-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha im sorry but i have to agree, thats blantently just your albulm collection. Not all these albulms are cornerstones matey.
Dr dre 2001 (yes i own it) id say is the only one out of the above, as it was a corner stone in this particular music genre. especially with the colection of artists who colaberated in it, this was a big step foward, bringing a white and black rapper together in harmony. this makes it a cornerstone album.

But in sorry 50 pence "In da cluuubah" , j zee, game.......that does not qualify
2pac has lots of fans, and its helped as he was shot, but again not mindblowing stuff or a cornerstone.
LMFAO, your knowledge on hip hop and the music industry is clearly lacking. 50 not a cornerstone, him being responsible for over 35 million album sales in the last 5 years, from him and the artists on HIS record label, would indicate that your a bit off the mark, name me another artist in this day and age of digital and downloading music, that can have that kind of success, and make that kind of money ?. 50 pence ?, more like the billion dollar man. 50's music is distributed through interscope records, a huge, well established, time served label, and even interscope owner jimmy iovine, a white, self confessed rock music fan, and one of the most powerfull men in music industry full stop, has said that as far as the whole music industry goes, 50 is one of the most bankable artists, and has basically bankrolled interscope since he signed the deal with them. its clear what this whole thing is about, two fans of different genre's, i am very lacking on rock music, and your very lacking on hip hop, thats why you have you no problem with pearl jam and rage against the machine, who havnt had a buzz around them in the music industy for years, but are cornerstones for you, but 50, who is one of the whole music industrys biggest artists in recent/current times, not just hip hop, is a joke. you stick to what you know, and ill stick to what i know
Old 22-05-2008, 06:10 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by Fiddy UK
LMFAO, your knowledge on hip hop and the music industry is clearly lacking. 50 not a cornerstone, him being responsible for over 35 million album sales in the last 5 years, from him and the artists on HIS record label, would indicate that your a bit off the mark, name me another artist in this day and age of digital and downloading music, that can have that kind of success, and make that kind of money ?. 50 pence ?, more like the billion dollar man. 50's music is distributed through interscope records, a huge, well established, time served label, and even interscope owner jimmy iovine, a white, self confessed rock music fan, and one of the most powerfull men in music industry full stop, has said that as far as the whole music industry goes, 50 is one of the most bankable artists, and has basically bankrolled interscope since he signed the deal with them. its clear what this whole thing is about, two fans of different genre's, i am very lacking on rock music, and your very lacking on hip hop, thats why you have you no problem with pearl jam and rage against the machine, who havnt had a buzz around them in the music industy for years, but are cornerstones for you, but 50, who is one of the whole music industrys biggest artists in recent/current times, not just hip hop, is a joke. you stick to what you know, and ill stick to what i know
i agree with the point that he's sold x amount of records and owns his own label that he might be thought of as a cornerstone of hip hop music but to me all he did was bragged about getting shot a few times and that in toll got every wannabe "gangsta" wanting to listen to his music. very clever marketing strategy but to me just makes him look like a cunt.

and im not against hip hop, i quite like eminems stuff as his lyrics were witty, i know he slated pretty much every member of his family in his lyrics but it was funny. but most of it to me is complete garbage and you wonder if thats the best thats out there id hate to hear the worst.
Old 22-05-2008, 06:21 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

REM automatic for the people,
Guns n Roses appetite for destruction
the verve urban hymns
Old 22-05-2008, 06:47 PM
gar mae
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by BigChuck
REM automatic for the people,
Guns n Roses appetite for destruction
the verve urban hymns
Yes
Old 22-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

i have tastes in all sorts of music, notice i mentioned.
portishead = trip hop
and
dre 2001 = hip hop

i respect what 50 cent has done, as a businessman. hes made a fortune, and is a big sell out. but that does not make him a corner stone album!

how about spice girls or westlife then, they made millions also!

i think many will agree pink floyd 'dark side the of moon' is sort of the benchmark here. 50 cent is a long way off that.

im not dissing him, and i think we will just have to agree to disagree. even tho your wrong
Old 22-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
i agree with the point that he's sold x amount of records and owns his own label that he might be thought of as a cornerstone of hip hop music but to me all he did was bragged about getting shot a few times and that in toll got every wannabe "gangsta" wanting to listen to his music. very clever marketing strategy but to me just makes him look like a cunt.

and im not against hip hop, i quite like eminems stuff as his lyrics were witty, i know he slated pretty much every member of his family in his lyrics but it was funny. but most of it to me is complete garbage and you wonder if thats the best thats out there id hate to hear the worst.
Cant argue with that, your pretty close to the nail, 50 is a very savvy business man, and knows exactally what he is doing and how to market himself. and your opinion of hip hop as whole, is your opinion, if its your not your cup of tea, fair play. what has me is, people slating him and his albums when they dont realise his acheivements, wether you like him or not, you cant say he isnt a cornerstone in recent years, as his album figures compared to most other arstist in any genre is nothing short of outstanding, plus the other ventures he has made through his success in hip hop, a vitamin water company, that he invested $5m into in 2003, then sold his shares to coca cola last years for $400m, his own clothes company, shoes, condoms, deodorant, books, films, he should write a book of how to be a sucess in the music industry, how to make money, and open oportunitys in other areas. i myself, can see why people are posting nirvana albums, elvis albums etc, regardless of genre, these people have a huge amount of fans and have been hugely successfull, and any fans of any music know there names, and for that, even though i dont like the music, i can respect/appreciate there acheivments. but you get people talking about 50 being a nobody, and tupac being shot helped him, wtf, it helped 50, he survived, and built a career on it, but tupac, it killed him, that isnt really much help to him is it, and just goes to show that some people, who dont have a clue about another genre of music, just the basics, start ranting and raving nonsense, at least you can see, even though your not a fan, that in your words, can see why he is thought of as a cornerstone of hip hop, which he most certainly is, just a shame others cant see past all the bullshit.

im now going to leave this thread alone, as i seem to be doing more harm than good, its like sitting talking to my mates who dont like hip hop, its a conversation thats going no where, different strokes for different folkes.
Old 22-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

i have tastes in all sorts of music, notice i mentioned.
portishead = trip hop
and
dre 2001 = hip hop

i respect what 50 cent has done, as a businessman. hes made a fortune, and is a big sell out. but that does not make him a corner stone album!

how about spice girls or westlife then, they made millions also!

i think many will agree pink floyd 'dark side the of moon' is sort of the benchmark here. 50 cent is a long way off that.

im not dissing him, and i think we will just have to agree to disagree. even tho your wrong
LMAO, as i said above fella, im going to leave it alone, everyone is entitled to there opinion, rite or wrong, and everyone has there own taste, good or bad, it would be very boring if we were all into, and liked, the same things, variation is a good thing.
Old 22-05-2008, 08:14 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

sorry fiddy but i have to disagree with what you think about tupac. he was just a rapper before he got shot and that made him more famous because he was dead. like most other pop stars that have died in their prime, lennon/elvis/hendrix etc...

its just the way the world works.

being a cornerstone of music is not how many records you sell or how many buisnesses you own, its creating a new sound. the beatles were cornerstones when they made sgt peppers and dabbled in other cultural styles in their tunes. the sex pistols were a cornerstone when they burst onto the scene with punk.

im not having a dig by the way. i respect that your into hip hop and particularly 50 cent but i just disagree with what you define a cornerstone.
Old 22-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
sorry fiddy but i have to disagree with what you think about tupac. he was just a rapper before he got shot and that made him more famous because he was dead. like most other pop stars that have died in their prime, lennon/elvis/hendrix etc...

its just the way the world works.

being a cornerstone of music is not how many records you sell or how many buisnesses you own, its creating a new sound. the beatles were cornerstones when they made sgt peppers and dabbled in other cultural styles in their tunes. the sex pistols were a cornerstone when they burst onto the scene with punk.

im not having a dig by the way. i respect that your into hip hop and particularly 50 cent but i just disagree with what you define a cornerstone.
Originally Posted by Matt J
50 cent is the corner stone of shit hip hop albums and thats about it, you obviously dont know what passes as a proper benchmark album if your judging it on sales, fuck, every boy/girl band going sells shit loads of records, doesnt mean fuck all!!
think we made our point

im really struggling to think of any more CORNERSTONE or MINDBLOWING () albums. i really think thats about it?

this is my thought for tonight, but im not sure on it?
what do you guys think?
its Daft punk - Alive (all theie best live recordings)
Old 23-05-2008, 10:12 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by lozi
The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Nice one!

My favourite is "A Grand Don't Come For Free". Mainly because unlike most albums, it's not just a selection of independent songs but telling you a whole story. It's absolutely vital to listen to that album beginning to end and not just picking single titles.

Also, there's a song for almost any mood you can be in, no matter if you've just fallen in love with a girl and you're unsure whether she fancy's you too, or if you just had a good night-out with your mates.
Old 23-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by longdog
this one for me.
im going with that as my no 1 album. its more than just music, it created the whole indie scene, truly iconic and groundbreaking were the roses. noel is also an awesome musician but for me hes always in the shadows of browns talent. they are great friends to this day.

i'd also put forward...

not many still doing it after 20 years

and some i'll always keep...

Old 23-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Too hard to select a single "favourite album" but as for the "concept" album, it's a hard toss up between Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" or Dream Theater's "Scenes From a Memory". Both are EXCEPTIONAL pieces of work. "Dark Side Of the Moon" isn't a true concept album tho to be fair - it has a current theme running through it, but it isn't a concept album in the way "The Wall" is... So I'd probably have to go with Dream Theater I reckon...

So instead of choosing a favourite album, here's some of the most defining and "life changing" albums I have in my collection. Albums that changed and shaped my musical taste, my outlook and direction in life....

No particular order

Last edited by Thrush; 24-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 23-05-2008, 09:19 PM
discodenkelly
bounce, bounce, bounce

Tough to choose a fav for me, like the rest of us it seems!! Some of my faves though would be
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions . . .
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Outkast - Speakerbox/The Love Below.

I could keep going but I could well be here all night
Old 23-05-2008, 09:22 PM
c.fogarty

Few off the top of my head:

Pink Floyd: Meddle
GnR: Appetite for Destruction
Faithless: Sunday 8pm
Dire Straights: Brothers in Arms
Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup

Old 23-05-2008, 10:17 PM
tomtomrst
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by longdog
this one for me.
defo the best for me to bud
Old 23-05-2008, 10:33 PM
tomtomrst
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Cant argue with that, your pretty close to the nail, 50 is a very savvy business man, and knows exactally what he is doing and how to market himself. and your opinion of hip hop as whole, is your opinion, if its your not your cup of tea, fair play. what has me is, people slating him and his albums when they dont realise his acheivements, wether you like him or not, you cant say he isnt a cornerstone in recent years, as his album figures compared to most other arstist in any genre is nothing short of outstanding, plus the other ventures he has made through his success in hip hop, a vitamin water company, that he invested $5m into in 2003, then sold his shares to coca cola last years for $400m, his own clothes company, shoes, condoms, deodorant, books, films, he should write a book of how to be a sucess in the music industry, how to make money, and open oportunitys in other areas. i myself, can see why people are posting nirvana albums, elvis albums etc, regardless of genre, these people have a huge amount of fans and have been hugely successfull, and any fans of any music know there names, and for that, even though i dont like the music, i can respect/appreciate there acheivments. but you get people talking about 50 being a nobody, and tupac being shot helped him, wtf, it helped 50, he survived, and built a career on it, but tupac, it killed him, that isnt really much help to him is it, and just goes to show that some people, who dont have a clue about another genre of music, just the basics, start ranting and raving nonsense, at least you can see, even though your not a fan, that in your words, can see why he is thought of as a cornerstone of hip hop, which he most certainly is, just a shame others cant see past all the bullshit.

im now going to leave this thread alone, as i seem to be doing more harm than good, its like sitting talking to my mates who dont like hip hop, its a conversation thats going no where, different strokes for different folkes.
sorry bud but 50 is pap in the hiphop stakes if u ask me. the only real corner stones of the rap genre are pac,nas,and big closely followed by big l
. 50 is some one who contributed to the death of real rap music (hiphop). it just aint what it used to be
Old 23-05-2008, 10:47 PM
_DAN_
Yoon

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Slayer - Reign In Blood

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Lucero - That Much Further West

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers

Queens Of The Stone - Songs For The Deaf

Nirvana - Nevermind

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Old 23-05-2008, 11:08 PM
15D
Italian convert

Floyd - WYWH
Hendrix - Live at Monterey
AC/DC - Live at Towson '79 (AWESOME Radio show bootleg)
AC/DC - POWERAGE
AC/DC - ROSELAND, NYC 2001 bootleg (cause I taped it )
Motorhead - No Sleep till Hammersmith
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
M.S.G. - One Night at the Budokan
Queen - Live Killers
Deep Purple - Knebworth '86 (fan club released boot)
Sex Pistols - NMTB
Stones - Exile on Main Street
Led Zep - Earls Court boot
Old 23-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

some cracking albums.

did anyone like the daft punk sugestion, as im still not sure if it would qualify?

i take back my coments on the streets, personally i think its a pile of shite, but i can see ur arguments for it being an album start to finish. so fair doos.
Old 24-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking inspiration from Radders quality thread (Your favorite ever piece of music) the other day,

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
(just wow!!!!!!)

Thanks mate!

Is awesome, Now im a heavy listener of Trance, Breakbeat & Drum and Bass, But I love this album!
Old 24-05-2008, 01:18 AM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

U2-Joshua Tree
Old 24-05-2008, 01:19 AM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Nice one!

My favourite is "A Grand Don't Come For Free". Mainly because unlike most albums, it's not just a selection of independent songs but telling you a whole story. It's absolutely vital to listen to that album beginning to end and not just picking single titles.

Also, there's a song for almost any mood you can be in, no matter if you've just fallen in love with a girl and you're unsure whether she fancy's you too, or if you just had a good night-out with your mates.

spot on, there are songs on both original pirate material and a grand dont come for free that i can really relate to and the story on the second album is brilliant

in particular blinded by the lights sends a chill down my spine and brings back alot of memorys for me!
Old 24-05-2008, 05:45 AM
pete_rs

kraftwerk - trans europe express
black sabbath - we sold our soul for rock and roll

loads more cant think, some already listed
Old 24-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Thanks mate!

Is awesome, Now im a heavy listener of Trance, Breakbeat & Drum and Bass, But I love this album!
no worries fella, music is my religion. way more important than cars!

I listen to a lot of Blues, the list is endless, all influenced by the following;

Leadbelly
The 12 string that made him famous in the 1930's, and kurt cobain got offered it for sale from his record company for $500,000 back in 1993!!!

leadbelly is amazing, i got into him after Nirvana did their cover where did you sleep last night. He was Kurts, daves and chris' favorite performer ever!!!!!! So i thougt if hes that influentional on a group like nirvana, then he must be good.

He did a lot for black musicians in the 30's (after he came out of prison for attempted murder). since.

Bob Dylan once said that Lead Belly was "One of the few ex-cons who recorded a popular children’s album."[

Nirvana - where did u sleep last night (what a way to end a live show, simply amazing, gives me goose bumps every time just like pink floyd - great gig in the sky from dark side of the moon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtDC6MuImU

Leadbelly - where did you sleep last night (recorded about 70 years ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg

Legend simply!!
Old 24-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

OH MY GOD just found this on you tube.

i have 2 albums of this (why?) and i have the dvd, misses bought it for me 4 xmas. if you dont own the album or havnt seen the dvd and you are gna be sitting at the pc for an hour. then its a must watch, If not just a listen, whilst ur doing other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kyZ...eature=related

its totally uncut. but its pure and shows the whole thing. simplay a mindblowing performance. id trade my cossie to have been there to see this!

was recorded a few months before he shot him self, and in retrospect you can see the emotion that went into it. tho i am bias as i can play and sing the whole album note for note on my guitar. and i this was me at 17.

so you could say this is my fav all time album EVER!
Old 24-05-2008, 10:53 AM
gar mae

OH MY GOD just found this on you tube.

i have 2 albums of this (why?) and i have the dvd, misses bought it for me 4 xmas. if you dont own the album or havnt seen the dvd and you are gna be sitting at the pc for an hour. then its a must watch, If not just a listen, whilst ur doing other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kyZ...eature=related

its totally uncut. but its pure and shows the whole thing. simplay a mindblowing performance. id trade my cossie to have been there to see this!

was recorded a few months before he shot him self, and in retrospect you can see the emotion that went into it. tho i am bias as i can play and sing the whole album note for note on my guitar. and i this was me at 17.

so you could say this is my fav all time album EVER!
It's an amazing performace, just the emotion that goes into it This album get played all the time.

Old 24-05-2008, 10:57 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm. i can think of like 1 album where i pretty much love every song.
and a few others that i don't particularly need to fast forward any, but some aren't as good as others.

the one i never get tired of is,

Inme - Daydream Anonymous

link for the amazon page of the album.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daydream-InM...1626963&sr=8-1

Last edited by JayCC; 24-05-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: why won't my picture show?
Old 24-05-2008, 11:07 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

i take back my coments on the streets, personally i think its a pile of shite, but i can see ur arguments for it being an album start to finish. so fair doos.
Fair enough, mate!
Old 25-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Am I jealous that I only started playing the guitar last year? you fuckin bet, wish I'd of start 15 years ago

Yeah Leadbelly was at the forefront of the Blues scene, although the undisputed king of the blues without doubt is Robert Johnson, the guy just oozes rock and roll and this was the early 30's!!!

This is Clapton struggling (!!) with a RJ song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETELORdwmJA
wow, yeh that is impressive, where/how you learn to play like that, let alone wright the music is beyond me! I love blues, but have to be in a certain mood to listen to it. jimi hendrix 'blues' album is a cracker.

mate ive been playing 12 years, and im still crap

Thought of another cracker of an album last night.!

SKUNK ANANSIE - STOOSH

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 25-05-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 25-05-2008, 07:09 AM
cosmo V6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topaz
Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S.
AWESOME
Old 25-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Moby - Play
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Muse – Absolution
Nirvana - Unplugged
Prodigy – Music For A Jilted Generation
U2 - The Joshua Tree

So many more corner stone albums. To me a great album is something you can listen to from start to end and love every track.

There are some albums I much prefer to some of the above. But I wont list I don't think they could be called corner stones.
Old 25-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Moby - Play
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Muse – Absolution
Nirvana - Unplugged
Prodigy – Music For A Jilted Generation
U2 - The Joshua Tree

So many more corner stone albums. To me a great album is something you can listen to from start to end and love every track.

There are some albums I much prefer to some of the above. But I wont list I don't think they could be called corner stones.
wow you read the rules, nice one
Ive got U2 joshua tree but i dont remember ever listening to it