General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any builders in Lincs area want to quote me happy?

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2008, 02:57 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any builders in Lincs area want to quote me happy?

Looking into the possibility of extending the house upstairs and getting quotes is non-existent round here
I have drawn a sketch of how the finished job will look and have a list of requirements and a drawing with measurements for the whole thing. All that's required is a quote for materials and labour to build the extension (once permissions are granted and proper plans are drawn up at a later date - reason being if the extension will be too much then getting planning & permission is a waste of cash).

*So far I have had ONE full quote back, including everything needed from start to finish.
*I have also received one part-quote - the actual build and plumbing side. I'm still waiting for the roofer and electrician to turn up from February!
*Another guy turned up in Feb and said he'd drop a quote off the following week...guess what. Nothing.
*I've also phoned 6 or 7 other local builders to come round for a look prior to me going away again in Feb and none of them have bothered.
One guy even said he'd be round the day after, then rang 3 days later late on the Fri night to see if he could pop round on the Saturday. Then never bothered to come round!

Now I could understand it if I wanted a job finishing off and they'd been paid and giving me the run-around, but I'm not. I'm after paying them a fair old wedge for an extension. It's like people don't want any money!!

So, any PF builders after a short-term job building a 2nd floor extension with loft space enhancement ??
Old 16-05-2008, 03:09 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally builders will only give you a "budget" rough quotation when you havent got detailed scale drawings to price from, but theres no reason why it shouldnt be very far from the eventual real price so long as you tell them all they need to know (such as those conifers and possible big founds you mentioned)

i can give you a general spec of construction notes if you want, it would help them for pricing.

most builders put a set of the drawings into the builders merchant to get a price for the materials, this is another reason plans are required.

i know how hard it is getting them to price, even in the depths of the last resession up north we struggled to get people to price decent jobs (then they all go around whinging theres no work on lol)

Last edited by percybigun; 16-05-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:16 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Thanks, we're aware any quotes are only a rough estimate and may alter slightly as more/ different items may be required as the job progresses, but it's getting that initial quote that we can't get.

People are just too lazy to even bother coming out to look at the job. The hard work in the beginning is done: we have a good spec that just needs pricing for the build (plus planning & regs costs).
Thanks for the offer on the spec, appreciated
Old 19-05-2008, 02:34 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Anyone else seeing as it's the start of the new week and 'work' is when most people come on here