General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Registering a car to a minor?

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Registering a car to a minor?

Just wondering if there is any legal reason you couldn't register your car to your, say 4 year old son?

When the police send out a fine for speeding they always send it to the registered keeper. But under British law proceedings can't be taken against a minor. So in theory it would get binned before it even made court.

Or do I really have too much time on my hands today?
Old 13-05-2008, 01:34 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Just wondering if there is any legal reason you couldn't register your car to your, say 4 year old son?

When the police send out a fine for speeding they always send it to the registered keeper. But under British law proceedings can't be taken against a minor. So in theory it would get binned before it even made court.

Or do I really have too much time on my hands today?
yes

Even if you can do it what you going to do? drive around everywhere flat out? i dont think so so its abit pointless even thinking about it
Old 13-05-2008, 01:34 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

register it to arthur scargill
Old 13-05-2008, 01:35 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Yep, the time on hands bit sounds spot on.
Old 13-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's been done before
Old 13-05-2008, 01:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pasty Palmer
It's been done before
And found it totally pointless, right?
Old 13-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seem to remember something in the press about someone doing it and getting around speeding tickets not sure if that loophole has been closed now though
Old 13-05-2008, 03:06 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

something along the lines of "the registered keeper/owner needs to have the car insured in their name so if they aren't old enough to hold a driving license they can't so it's fraud and you will go away and be buggered by the tax man"

or soething
Old 13-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
something along the lines of "the registered keeper/owner needs to have the car insured in their name so if they aren't old enough to hold a driving license they can't so it's fraud and you will go away and be buggered by the tax man"

or soething
Not exactly true. The CSL is registered in my name but on the insurance the wifes name is the main driver and I'm named. Perfectly legal, and unfortunately correct as she dries it more than me
Old 13-05-2008, 04:02 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO registered keeper has to insure any car, BUT you will be held liable for your 4 year olds actions as parents, they may(try) to do you for allowing a 4 year old to drive/speed etc then you really would be in the shit!!
tabetha
Old 13-05-2008, 04:16 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Not exactly true. The CSL is registered in my name but on the insurance the wifes name is the main driver and I'm named. Perfectly legal, and unfortunately correct as she dries it more than me
but somewhere along the line you are able to give your permission that she be the policy holder as a lot of insurance companies are now asking that the person who own's the car needs to be the main driver
in your case it's not so that's the angle

obviously a 4 year old is not going to know the difference between what the responsabilities of doing this or the consequences will be, plus they can't sign any documentation that's legal until they are at least 16 so thats the log book out the window as someon has signed for it on their behalf, and they don't know what they are doing

etc etc

but they have closed the loop hole

in the same way as they closed the one that said "send them 1p more on the cheque and they won't cash it" they just write youout a cheque for the overpayment and then send you a bigger fine for taking the piss
Old 13-05-2008, 04:35 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I don't think there is a legal restriction as to who can legally own the car, but when a speeding ticket comes and they ask who was driving you are going to reply:

"Yes, it was the registered owner driving the vehicle. He openly admits sitting in the driver's footwell and "playing" with the pedals and suddenly managed to hit 40mph in a 30mph zone"
Old 13-05-2008, 05:20 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabetha
NO registered keeper has to insure any car, BUT you will be held liable for your 4 year olds actions as parents, they may(try) to do you for allowing a 4 year old to drive/speed etc then you really would be in the shit!!
tabetha
This might have been true in the past, but it isnt any more. I've insured my car for the last 3 years and my mother is the registered owner.

JAmes.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:49 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read what I said, NO registered keeper has to insure ANY car, ie it does NOT have to be insured just because it has a keeper.
Loads of people have cars in thier name but insured by others for the use of those others, such as disabled peoples partners etc.
Fronting is being cracked down on big time, at long last, bout bloody time as well.
tabetha
Old 13-05-2008, 05:50 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

well my focus is registered on my dad but I am the policyholder on it. Like an idiot I didnt think to get it in my name