General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mag features/articles

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts
Default mag features/articles

Where or what magazine would you contact if you wanted to put a car/offer a car for a feature ?

ive looked at the glossy comics in my local newsagent and tbh im not sure which or who i would contact or even want to put a car into, im not talking just a shiny turd of a concourse thing more of a user hard working example, and yes its a ford.

any suggestions ?

cheers
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fast Ford have always been good to me , and great to work with so give them a go ,

Never had a feature in P/Ford so acnt comment

Last edited by Mr RS500; 02-05-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't want my car in any magazine personally........not my thing. Haven't done what I've done to advertise it.

Still, if it's a Ford then the Ford mags would be the place to go.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

it would have to be fast ford mark
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

send some pics to the readers rides sections and if they like what they see they will call you back for a feature.my projects have been in loads of different mags with offers for a copule of main features but my edinburgh location makes ot difficult. my old toyota celica was once in the "RS END" section of PF due to me fitting a cossie engine to it
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Nick-T
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
my old toyota celica was once in the "RS END" section of PF due to me fitting a cossie engine to it
That was you?!

Was a shame that got bent, was a cool conversion.

Is that where the engine for the Beemer came from?

Markk: You have PM
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

My problem with the glossies is that alot of what i read is total shite, so where does this info come from ? surely not the owner of the car ? or is it in the editing ?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mr S1
I wouldn't want my car in any magazine personally........not my thing. Haven't done what I've done to advertise it.
Ditto

Most get a polite 'no thanks'
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

id worry about it getting the wrong attention as i havnt had much luck with thieving scum
Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
My problem with the glossies is that alot of what i read is total shite, so where does this info come from ? surely not the owner of the car ? or is it in the editing ?
Mark,

We talking your new car? I can sort it so you can edit it all,

Martin.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Eh?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Eh?
ok, i'll explain,

there are so many mags out there that i 'flick though' in the newsagents (wont buy most because of the crap in them) and i read the articles mainly about things i like (as you would) and the amount of incorrect information regarding the parts on cars, the use of components, the reasons behind doing things a certain way etc is shocking at times to say the least.

does that explain the above ?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have said Performance Ford but Fast Ford seem to be on it more and more and Pf IMO are into the foreign side of the RS scene and top class shiny performance Rss more. Both great reads but maybe Fast ford for me right now.
Am I right in thinking that you get nothing in payment for having your car featured in the mag? having your day off work,travelling expenses, fuel bill etc etc or is there a good will gesture to keep your own costs down too? Just wondered as I know why the business- Reyland, jamsport etc may do a day with their own cars for example.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

ok, i'll explain,

there are so many mags out there that i 'flick though' in the newsagents (wont buy most because of the crap in them) and i read the articles mainly about things i like (as you would) and the amount of incorrect information regarding the parts on cars, the use of components, the reasons behind doing things a certain way etc is shocking at times to say the least.

In some mags there is a lot of missinformation. I'd like think that FF is relatively free of errors, as accuracy is VERY important to me. Yeah, the odd mistake slips in from time to time, and I can recall a couple of recent clangers I'm embarassed about. Your statement implied that FF was riddled with mistakes, which it's not.

I appreciate your comments, and would gladly send you a free copy of the mag so you can have a look over it in your own time and see for yourself.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Mr C
I would have said Performance Ford but Fast Ford seem to be on it more and more and Pf IMO are into the foreign side of the RS scene and top class shiny performance Rss more. Both great reads but maybe Fast ford for me right now.
Am I right in thinking that you get nothing in payment for having your car featured in the mag? having your day off work,travelling expenses, fuel bill etc etc or is there a good will gesture to keep your own costs down too? Just wondered as I know why the business- Reyland, jamsport etc may do a day with their own cars for example.
Glad you like the mag. It makes it a rewarding job when you hear comments like that.

There is no payment for a feature. We'll buy lunch, give you a good day out and give you a selection of pics from the shoot. That on top of a great (see above ) feature is payment enough. There is also the option of space (and free entry) to shows we attend including Ford Fair etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
In some mags there is a lot of missinformation. I'd like think that FF is relatively free of errors, as accuracy is VERY important to me. Yeah, the odd mistake slips in from time to time, and I can recall a couple of recent clangers I'm embarassed about. Your statement implied that FF was riddled with mistakes, which it's not.

I appreciate your comments, and would gladly send you a free copy of the mag so you can have a look over it in your own time and see for yourself.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
fordrallycar
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i would like my car to go in to performance ford or fast ford they are both great mags
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
c.fogarty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Is it just me who thinks PF has generally better standard of feature cars than FF??

Still, love both, and to me, getting a car featured in either Ford mag' is a coup

And agree about the errors in feature car spec lists
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
PF Dave

Just to add for anyone else browsing this topic that we (Performance Ford), also offer a great day out, the best pics from the shoot and of course some complimentary magazines when the feature comes out.

Opportunities are also available to attend shows (for free) on our infamous trailer stand at the main events and with a varied range of features such as 'Beat the ST', 'Grudge Match' and one or two new ones on the way too, it doesn't matter if you're into track driving, have a grudge with your mate about who has the quicker car, or simply have a nicely presented Ford, we've got the perfect feature for you!

PS. We might even make you a star of the big/plasma screen in a DVD!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ok, i'll explain,

When Neil @ FastFord did my feature, he emailed me the draft feature, i checked/changed it and then he sent me the final version.

Oh and got on the FastFord stand, track time, all the hi-res images and a big feature poster

Oh and Neil bought me dinner
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
fordrallycar

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are both great mags but at the mo i like performance ford better only just though
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy both mags and enjoy both mags, sometimes one mopre than the other dependant on material used that month tbh.

When you guys shoot a car for a feature, how/when do you decide if its made cover and is the owner informed before it hits the shelves or do they have to just wait and see?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by cossie604
When you guys shoot a car for a feature, how/when do you decide if its made cover and is the owner informed before it hits the shelves or do they have to just wait and see?
Can't speak for the other mags out there, but we always say. We'd NEVER promise a cover and then not give it, other mags have been known to do that. I'm not pointing as finger at any mag in particular, but I've known it to happen, and for the owners to be gutted.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When mine was in fast ford, I got sendtthe proof copy to edit/correct so that nothing got said incorrectly or mixed up etc.
(this was before I started working for the company that owns it and before Id ever written anything in fast ford, so at that stage I was just a regular reader like yourself so wasnt getting any special treatment you wouldnt)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well there is only one way to find out who is better

In the the words of the great Harry Hill

FIGHT
Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gus

FIGHT
You got the right thread mate?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
RAT8OY

Originally Posted by gus

FIGHT
LMFAO!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
gar mae
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Where or what magazine would you contact if you wanted to put a car/offer a car for a feature ?

ive looked at the glossy comics in my local newsagent and tbh im not sure which or who i would contact or even want to put a car into, im not talking just a shiny turd of a concourse thing more of a user hard working example, and yes its a ford.

any suggestions ?

cheers
Practial Performance Car?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:06 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fast Ford
Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by gar mae
Potentially great mag, full of great cars, but fookin jam packed full of technical errors.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i dont think ive seen this mag, certainly not at my local shop, any one read it ?

im not singling out any particular mag for faults btw, just dont like things to be publically incorrect on something im passionate about.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mr S1

Still, if it's a Ford then the Ford mags would be the place to go.
What do you exactly mean by that Mr s1?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 PM
McGoo 69

i can understand why some people dont want there car to be advertised in a mag due to theiving scum but i doubt someone will read a mag, see a car they like then search the country to find it and steal it, there more likly to see you driving around your local area, follow you home then take it so i would worry to much.

But both Fast Ford and Performance Ford are good mags, both good reads with a brew imo

I think you should be greatful if your car gets featured as its a reward for the hard work youve put into it and i think it helps your car hold its value somewhat as its proves its one of the best examples.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You contacted anybody Markk yet or they been in touch?

Is that the one with a writers Rover SD1 in it? 26 Litre plane engine and Jag XJ220 wheels?!? Some really good home brewed stuff in there that looks knocked up for peanuts

"Just to add for anyone else browsing this topic that we (Performance Ford), also offer a great day out, the best pics from the shoot and of course some complimentary magazines when the feature comes out.

Opportunities are also available to attend shows (for free) on our infamous trailer stand at the main events and with a varied range of features such as 'Beat the ST', 'Grudge Match' and one or two new ones on the way too, it doesn't matter if you're into track driving, have a grudge with your mate about who has the quicker car, or simply have a nicely presented Ford, we've got the perfect feature for you!

PS. We might even make you a star of the big/plasma screen in a DVD! "
Oh yes the "Beat the ST" and "grudge match", I would like a run at the lap and Im loving the last feature as I have a score to settle with somebody off of herewhere do I sign up 2x moonstone 2wd sapphires- mine reshelled, he has an ass whooping in store- I CAN MODIFY MY OWN CAR TO BEAT YOUR ROAD GOING TAXII hope mine stays in 1piece long enough to prove the point now ahem.

Also I have an old v new to settle too- pesky little brothers tut
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

with regard to what gets written, its all off what info the owner gives you.

sometimes its a chequebook build car, that the owner has no clue about whats been done, so writing from little info can be difficult.

most features that i wrote were then sent to the owner to check over and correct any mistakes i may have made, but i like to think i have some clue about most things, and can usually manage to pull out a good feature that is informative and technically accurate unlike some mags - max power being what im thinking of, not pf before anyone starts
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

max power would not even be considered
Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I have applied a couple of times to get a feature via email and by sending hard copies but I never got a reply back, that's why I had a bit of a moan on a previous thread similar to this one.

My car has made it into one issue of FF and that was the issue covering Ford Fair 2005 which was Cosworth's birthday and I took part in the Silverstone parade lap, proud of that moment

Luciano
Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

mark, FF have always been good to me, i can contact neil for you if you like