General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Victim of (intended) credit card fraud!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Victim of (intended) credit card fraud!

Got a call from Barclaycard today, asked me a few minor details, and then asked me if I was in South Africa. Surprised I said no, to which the girl replied "so you didn't try to buy something to the cost of £199.21 in South Africa yesterday afternoon then?"

Turns out my card's been cloned

Women at Barclaycard told me they had blocked the transaction so no money has left my account, and since I said it wasn't me trying to make transactions, she cancelled and blocked the card, and are sending me a new one, but not for 7 to 10 days In the meantime I can't use it anywhere : no chip n pin, no swipe, no cash points, nothing. I can still get money out my account with it, but only by walking into a Barclays branch and supplying the card and photo ID to prove who I am.... Which I did today, but thats gonna make life difficult till new card turns up!

Fuck knows where they got my details from tho - not used it anywhere out of the ordinary as far as I remember - I only use proper bank cash points (not the little ATM's in off licence's etc) and don't use it online unless with proper retailers, and other than that only registered with Paypal and Ebay....

So unless it got done with a card reader at a cash point (and I don't remember any looking "dodgy" and I usually check) or cloned in a petrol station, then fuck knows! 99% of petrolstations are chip & pin anyway!

Fuck it, cash from now on then!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mate you have to check cash point machines very very carefuly. These people that do this are very very clued up. There are many was they can obtain you card details. One of the cash machine ways is to install a fake front on the machine where you insert your card. You need to know what your looking at to tell if its fake or not, they are that good. They then install a pin hole camera in the machine. Whilst the fake bit on the front allows your card to go into the machine and you carry out your normal transactions it also records the details held on the magnetic strip and chip. The pin hole camera then records you putting your pin number into the machine. When you walk away they remove the front, download the card dets and then its game on. Its big business these card scams
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my debit card got used for £1100 in canadian dollars and my visa for a £850 tv 3 weeks ago and i have a few cards and the only thing the 2 mentioned were used for is paypal

they refunded the money but its unreal that this has happened

22 transactions to the one place in the space of 20min and they never thought to phone and ask if it was me
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
AlexRS2782
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Bastards Although should be quicker than 7 to 10 days to get the card - i got mine in 2 days when the same sort of thing happened to me a year ago on my credit card
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

mate people can get your details very easily, one I.T forum i go on people actually sell credit card details and paypal accounts on there i couldnt fookin believe it