General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nitro RC Cars??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 AM
PintoPhil
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro RC Cars??

OK, so Who's got one?

Are they all pretty much the same? The ones I have seen seem pretty quick for what they are, with a wealth of different bodies to pick and chose from.

I seen Dodge chargers, subarus, 206's........... even bloody scania trucks, lol

I want to get myself one, but not sure what to go for.

Any advice?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Have a HPI RS4 Nitro 1, the first model, bought 7 year ago, works very well, I think 50% of the parts on the car are modified parts. I am currently converting it into "rally-mode" so will be able to play a bit in the rocks and mud. Pics will follow.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked for ages and ages and their are mixed opinions everywhere of whats best etc. I bought a Losi 8ight Truggy RTR. Superb fun and stupidly quick but I am actually getting rid of it - see the non ford parts for sale for pics etc!! Its only 3 months old and used once!!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1/8 scale Xtm Xt2. Looking into getting a Xtm Xlb soon 1/7 scale.

Here's a write about the xt2 so you have abit more understanding of how they work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=754

Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
rostill2007
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a hpi mt2 and a thunder tiger bmw gtr that i collected from mags
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Well here is a small review of my RC car :

I bought it I think 7 years ago, and it did costed me 500CHF (1CHF is around 0.5Ł). Then I made quite huge modifications. Here are the main ones :
  • Uprated engine (300CHF)
  • Renforced chassis (200CHF)
  • Gearbox with 2 gears (180CHF)
  • Carbone bits (100CHF)
  • Uprated exhaust (180CHF)
  • Coilovers (80CHF)
  • Anti-roll bars (80CHF)
  • Slicks tyres with rims (50CHF)
  • Bought recently lot of parts (carbon parts, new wheels with tyres, all for around 150Ł)
All I can tell you is that is runs on methanol fuel (75%) with nitro (20%). Engine power is 1.3bhp @ 35'000rpm, and the car weight is 1.3kg. I haven't really mesured the speed, but I once did a quick 20 meters run from a stopped start and did a 1.75s. It was manually timed btw.

Here is the original model, and you will see with the next pictures and I changed almost everything on it

Here is a picture of the car at the beginning of last year without all the latest modifications

Here is my car at the end of last year (on the right) while my mate's car is on the left

During our last run in 2007 I had a small incident where I destroyed the rear right "rocket" (you know the thing where the ball bearing and the wheel is attached) and I nearly brocken the read right drive-shaft. The rim also had damages. Nothing serious but it was time to stop for the season, lol.

Tyre had also quite serious damages (don't worry I bought new slicks tyre for this season) :

After few years if doing tarmac, my friend and me decided to convert our HPI models to rally cars. He has a Nitro RTR car btw. I had to make front and rear carbon suspension supports because we will use 80mm shocks all around, and HPI never made suspension supports for the 1/10 model.

We also bought 2-3 1/18 HPI micro bodies to create a sort of protection against the mud and sand. Also I needed to make more modifications to the suspension to allow the new 80mm shocks to work correctly. Finally we bought 2 sort of rally tyres, one is a rallycross type (gravel/tarmac) and the other is a pure gravel tyre :

Not easy modifications, and we are still working on the carbon parts, and on the rest.

Actually the car is all in pieces as you can see in the following picture (gravel car I am building is on the left) :

The right chassis is the tarmac chassis with my actual engine, which I will put on the left chassis which was the standard chassis. I have nearly 2 cars now with all the uprated bits I bought, so I will build a gravel car and a tarmac car, and I will only move the engine on the car I want to use.

Here is the body which will be used : Solberg's 2004 Impreza, imo the best one, in pure white (test car) :

I have also some new carbon (graphite) parts but they will be used only on tarmac, I'm too afraid of breaking them on the gravel paths. One of the modification I made last year too was to install the HPI RS3 Nitro 3 steering system (in purple alu), it added more precision to the steering.

More when I find time to continue it !
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HPI Savage X 4.1. Awesome fun, take a lot of abuse, I have to say i have used it hard and gone through diffs and all sorts, Need to get it fixed and out for the summer really.
As for what you wanna get it entirely depends on where your gonna use it. If you have a big smooth area go for an on-road specific one or if you wanna go off roading go for a big monster truck. I prefer the off roading, So much fun.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
b_kennedy

Originally Posted by Xen
Well here is a small review of my RC car :

I bought it I think 7 years ago, and it did costed me 500CHF (1CHF is around 0.5Ł). Then I made quite huge modifications. Here are the main ones :
  • Uprated engine (300CHF)
  • Renforced chassis (200CHF)
  • Gearbox with 2 gears (180CHF)
  • Carbone bits (100CHF)
  • Uprated exhaust (180CHF)
  • Coilovers (80CHF)
  • Anti-roll bars (80CHF)
  • Slicks tyres with rims (50CHF)
  • Bought recently lot of parts (carbon parts, new wheels with tyres, all for around 150Ł)
All I can tell you is that is runs on methanol fuel (75%) with nitro (20%). Engine power is 1.3bhp @ 35'000rpm, and the car weight is 1.3kg. I haven't really mesured the speed, but I once did a quick 20 meters run from a stopped start and did a 1.75s. It was manually timed btw.

Here is the original model, and you will see with the next pictures and I changed almost everything on it

Here is a picture of the car at the beginning of last year without all the latest modifications

Here is my car at the end of last year (on the right) while my mate's car is on the left

During our last run in 2007 I had a small incident where I destroyed the rear right "rocket" (you know the thing where the ball bearing and the wheel is attached) and I nearly brocken the read right drive-shaft. The rim also had damages. Nothing serious but it was time to stop for the season, lol.

Tyre had also quite serious damages (don't worry I bought new slicks tyre for this season) :

After few years if doing tarmac, my friend and me decided to convert our HPI models to rally cars. He has a Nitro RTR car btw. I had to make front and rear carbon suspension supports because we will use 80mm shocks all around, and HPI never made suspension supports for the 1/10 model.

We also bought 2-3 1/18 HPI micro bodies to create a sort of protection against the mud and sand. Also I needed to make more modifications to the suspension to allow the new 80mm shocks to work correctly. Finally we bought 2 sort of rally tyres, one is a rallycross type (gravel/tarmac) and the other is a pure gravel tyre :

Not easy modifications, and we are still working on the carbon parts, and on the rest.

Actually the car is all in pieces as you can see in the following picture (gravel car I am building is on the left) :

The right chassis is the tarmac chassis with my actual engine, which I will put on the left chassis which was the standard chassis. I have nearly 2 cars now with all the uprated bits I bought, so I will build a gravel car and a tarmac car, and I will only move the engine on the car I want to use.

Here is the body which will be used : Solberg's 2004 Impreza, imo the best one, in pure white (test car) :

I have also some new carbon (graphite) parts but they will be used only on tarmac, I'm too afraid of breaking them on the gravel paths. One of the modification I made last year too was to install the HPI RS3 Nitro 3 steering system (in purple alu), it added more precision to the steering.

More when I find time to continue it !
Is it a thunder tiger one you got?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

No mate it is an old HPI RS4 Nitro 1, actually you can buy the "3" which is quite different, but works also well !
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Smudge
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Traxxas Revo are very good.

I got a FG Hummer

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
b_kennedy

I got a thunder tiger tsn4 sport or something. A real good one actually. Comes with all uprated parts as standard? Hard to get shells for though. Cant find universal ones :-/ Does anyone know the factory settings or how to tune as I have a problem with getting it running at the moment :-(
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

i would say go for an fg, nitros are alot of hassle and always break where the fg starts everytime with no fucking about and it sturdy
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
b_kennedy

although i have a nitro i would agree with that. Nitro can be a real pain in the arse!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

they are amazing get one and u will never look back indestructable
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
chunky3
Regular Contributor

get an fg loads less hassle than nitro splash of unleaded and some 2 stroke and your away you get about 30 to 45 mins of thrash per tank

Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

whats the difference between them ^^^^^^ had one but me dad used to set it up for me
Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As I'm sure your realizing, they're not all the same. I've always prefered Nitro as I'm a total petrol head, but you have to appreciate the relatively easy to maintain electric cars. But for me Nitro (Real Engines) are more fun. (But harder to set up, as your not just setting up the car, your setting up the engine as well.

I've been through most of the Nitro ranks ..... from HP 1/10th off road and on road, (Off road is more fun and easier to find a place to play as they basically go anywhere). On road your limited to finding a deserted car park or somwhere relatively smooth).

Then you can go the whole hog......and progress to what is considered to be the F1 of the R/C world. Total purist motorsport in minature. I've been using this car for a couple of years now, but obviously limited as to where I can use it, as it has a top speed (Depending on which gearing I'm using) which will excede the UK speed limit ! ! ! ! ! But to buy the car, engine and a suitable digital TX/RX system capable of keeping it in control your looking at well over 1k for something like this.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
chunky3
Regular Contributor

fg models have a 2 stroke engine like what is in a strimmer or a go ped and the nitro stuff you have to buy the fuel from a model shop and its a small fortune and there a pain to set up

Last edited by chunky3; 03-05-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Jim_Green, that is HOT! What motor is that? Picco, Sirio, OS?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

this is my fg, its a long wheelbase sportsline i payed Ł250 for it

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you want 1 of these bad boys

eats fg,s for breakfast
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just won one of these on ebay, cheap aswell

Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Originally Posted by Jim Green
As I'm sure your realizing, they're not all the same. I've always prefered Nitro as I'm a total petrol head, but you have to appreciate the relatively easy to maintain electric cars. But for me Nitro (Real Engines) are more fun. (But harder to set up, as your not just setting up the car, your setting up the engine as well.

I've been through most of the Nitro ranks ..... from HP 1/10th off road and on road, (Off road is more fun and easier to find a place to play as they basically go anywhere). On road your limited to finding a deserted car park or somwhere relatively smooth).

Then you can go the whole hog......and progress to what is considered to be the F1 of the R/C world. Total purist motorsport in minature. I've been using this car for a couple of years now, but obviously limited as to where I can use it, as it has a top speed (Depending on which gearing I'm using) which will excede the UK speed limit ! ! ! ! ! But to buy the car, engine and a suitable digital TX/RX system capable of keeping it in control your looking at well over 1k for something like this.

Always wanted to try one of these Proceed, but well there aren't any place big enough for this car where I live. I am already scared with my 1/10 (it has a 1.3hp engine power for just 1.3kg just imagine the acceleration) so the Proceed would just be too much. But nice car.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Xen
All I can tell you is that is runs on methanol fuel (75%) with nitro (20%). Engine power is 1.3bhp @ 35'000rpm
wow 35,000 rpm, imagine if real cars did that
Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all depends on how big your wallet is ... strimmer engine anyone
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine's a modified OS which I got from the USA......Screams like hell, and is way too fast for me. The engineering on it is first class, but like you say.......there's no where big enough to run them. The Delta is infact a modified Kyosho Evolva, Delta is an american company who has the licence to purchase them from Kyosho and then modify them and re retail them to competitors in the various championships. I got it when I was working in the US and got to know a guy who is into it in a big way. At the time I had nothing better to do with my money and told him I wanted to buy the best available, so he got hold of this one for me. Basically the top manufacturers (As far as competition is concerned) are Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent and Delta. And would you believe there are guys out there who make a living from racing these things.

The "Proceed" was HPI's attempt to get into the 1/8th On Road Competition Scene, and is/was without doubt the best looking of all of them, but unfortunately it was never quite as competetive as the Mugens, Kyosho, Serpant and Delta.

Last edited by Jim Green; 10-05-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

the kyosho evolva is the latest generation from the fantom 1/8th racer that kyosho produced. My HPI R40

when I first built it fitted with a Novarossi NSR12

As it stands now with a shit hot Eduardo Picco hand modified P1-R engine!!!

I think I may have over done it on the engine as its insane fast now.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

ive seen smaller air filters on cossies LOL!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Rippers
Monte Geek

I only have a Savage X but its so much fun staright out of the box. Love the 'Cuda shell but would never use it with it on

Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Here's my ebay bargain picked it up last week.

Next to my XT2 1/8 scale

Only needs a new first gear

No dought i will be adding hopups in the future like, alloy wishbones, road tyres etc..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

can anyone recommend a cheap, strong, fast, reliable RC car for a beginner? battery powered?

links?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreverwhite
can anyone recommend a cheap, strong, fast, reliable RC car for a beginner? battery powered?

links?
how much do you want to spend? rough figure??
Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how about this for a first 1? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Radio-controll...QQcmdZViewItem

or this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-Nissan-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by wirralphil; 10-05-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:59 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

i'll keep my eye on the scooby, seems cheap enough
Old 12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
PintoPhil
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

What about this one Ged

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seben-Mustang-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Same as Paul's

but mine is modifield slightly

I sold the Lunchbox now tho
Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not Nitro.. but got my new one the other day

Xray T2 007 Us Spec
3.5mm milled Carbon graphite chassis
3.2mm Carbon graphite shock towers
2.5mm Carbon graphite top decks..

Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

gonna be some on channel 5 gadget show in a minute
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
B16JUS

is there such a thing as a quick electric one so you dont have to worry about fuel etc just change the battery etc

i quite fancy a r8 if there is one

J
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

these electric brushless motor ones seem quick...

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/NBC-E.htm

Quick Reply: Nitro RC Cars??