General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MacDonalds - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default MacDonalds - WTF?

Me and a mate drove into Brixton, Sth London last night to go see some bands play at the Academy. Venue kicked out at 11, so we jump in the van and begin the 1hr trek home....

Feeling somewhat hungry, we spy a MacDonalds advertising a 24hr Drive-Thru at the A12 junction of the A11, in we head, have to wait about 10mins in the queue, get to the window and order 4 double cheeseburgers.

Only to be told they don't do "small burgers" only Big Mac's, 1/4 pounders, chicken sandwich and fillet of fish

We said fuck that, and carried on down the A12. Knowing there is another 24hr MacDonalds along the A12, we stop by that one, and again ask for 4 double cheesburgers. Get told the same thing! I asked why, the guy said it's company policy to not serve hamburgers, cheese burgers or double cheeseburgers after 11pm. I asked why he said cos they make more money from Big Macs etc.

Now they obviously don't cos we left without buying fuck all, so they lost 2 sales there....

When the fuck did they start doing that tho??!?!?! And WTF? I like double cheeseburgers!!!!

Cunts!
Old 27-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm.

I think you should make a formal complaint to Mcdonalds UK. Or possibly raise the issue in the newspapers. Something like The Sun or the Daily Mail.

Or maybe you could do something else...
Old 27-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been like that for years mate,, tbh theres 2 sales lost,,,,, but i just deal with it and spend the money....... its not that much more these days anyway and considering the options of that or the motorway services then i would go for a fillet any day

but then again i aint had mcdonalds for almost a year,,, dont touch it unless i got no choice !
Old 27-04-2008, 06:01 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Double quarter mate if you ask nicely and pay an extra 30p you can get one

bigmacs only cost 2p to make that materials packaging and labour and thats a far better margin than you'd get on any regular/single meat patty sandwich so you can see they'll make loads more doing what they are doing now

Plus do you have any idea how much money macd's make? Losing 4.76 isn't even the tiniest drop in the ocean to them
Old 27-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple answer is don't eat shit.
Old 27-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alan12112
bigmacs only cost 2p to make that materials packaging and labour
FPMSL, dont be bloody ridiculous
Old 27-04-2008, 06:08 PM
alan12112

You wanna bet chip cos my mrs who was a macdonals manager for 8 years is sat next to me

And as for being rediculous you have a stickered up vauxhall nova....
Old 27-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Which to be fair, Mid mounted LET probably over 500bhp, aint all that bad eh?!
Old 27-04-2008, 06:10 PM
alan12112

no mate it aint but it still looks rediculous which is what I was getting at
Old 27-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Chip

You wanna bet chip cos my mrs who was a macdonals manager for 8 years is sat next to me

Yes I want to bet, she is wrong, without ANY doubt at all.

For a start the employees in that restuarant make about 8 quid an hour on a night shift, so the person making big macs would have to be making 400 an hour for them to make them for 2p each even if all the ingredients in the burger were free and were delivered free, which they arent of course, and as Ive been to both those restuarants on a night shift and they are practically dead, I doubt they were making even 20 an hour at that time.

She has remembered the wrong figure, the 2p is what a large coke costs them according to a guy I know who has been the manager of the two mcdonalds in this town for the last 20 years so maybe she has remembered that instead?

Definately it is NOT 2p for everything involved in making a big mac though, so I guess if she is dumb enough to think that its easy to see why she couldnt get a better job than mcdonands for 8 years
Old 27-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

to be fair alan its not a small drop in the ocean for the money the COMPANY make, but they wont have the same sales at night time so when the customers reduce you need to increase the pounds per head,,,,,, makes business sence to me hence i never question it

theres other companys FAR FAR worse out there who make fake " half price" sales that i have more of a issue with
Old 27-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i agree with chip, it wont cost 2p to make a burger, you got francise fees, rent, rates, wages, fittings aswell as the actual stuff to make the burger, if you sold them at a VEYR VERY high rate maybe,,,,,, but not as chip says on nightshift

the company might even do nightshift at a loss to get people to travel there if the daytime covers the profit too

we have sold stuff at work to customers for less than we paied for it for good customers as its easier and better for business than getting more cash and loosing there faith in us for pricing
Old 27-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Chip

The guy who has owned the franchise on both the mcdonalds in my town for the last 20 years or so reckoned when he spoke to me that the ingredients and packaging of a large coke was about 2p, similar money for a large fries (hence they try and sell "meals" all the time) but that the profit on a big mac was practically naff all in real terms to a franchise holder as they have to buy all the ingredients from mcdonalds they arent allowed to go and source burgers cheaper elsewhere etc, and that the parts and packaging cost was a quid plus, so by the time you have the franchise costs and staff costs, if that was all he sold he would lose money, but due to the fries and drinks he makes a fucking good living.

Obviously a franchise store holder will pay more than the costs to mcdonalds themselves, but anyone who thinks they can do it for 2p needs their fucking head examining, lol
Old 27-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Definitely only changed recently, cos I was in one of the 24hr ones I went to last night about 3 or 4 months ago at 1am getting double cheeseburgers

I would have got something else, but I didn't fancy anything else. Big Macs hard to eat whilst driving (shit falls out everywhere), didn't want a 1/4 lb'er, their chicken sandwiches are shit, don't like fish......

Still think it's stupid
Old 27-04-2008, 06:22 PM
alan12112

the fact that you are (at peak periods) permanently making them brings the cost of them down so much - not forgetting that face that there at 70000 ish stores worldwide all doing the same thing - chip coke cost 1p aswell not 2

And also chip if you call the woman again I will hunt you down son and shove a 2p bigmac down your face whilst you toss my salad
Old 27-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Chip

Of course having lots of stores brings the cost down, just not that far in the uk, especially with current fuel prices, she is absolutely delusional.
Old 27-04-2008, 06:24 PM
alan12112

and also to say that Macdonalds dont make "practically naff all in real terms " on a bigmac is far in away the most rediculous thing i've ever heard
Old 27-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

24 hour McDonalds!

Bloody hell, never seen such a thing anywhere near me. Think the one at Linwood is open till midnight or something.
Old 27-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Chip

and also to say that Macdonalds dont make "practically naff all in real terms " on a bigmac is far in away the most rediculous thing i've ever heard
It would be if anyone had said that in the first place, but no one did, I said the franchise holder of my local store by the time he has to pay mcdonalds their over inflated prices for the burger, and pay the rent on the building and pay the franchise and pay his staff would make naff all if that was all he sold, thats TOTALLY different to what you just said, mcdonalds themselves still no doubt make a healthy profit out of each one.
Old 27-04-2008, 06:28 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

a double cheesburger is 2 bits of meat
a big mac is 2 bits of meat
simple really to assume that the 2 bits of meat cost the same price to cook etc and that the amount of money it costs to mass produce the rest of the stuff that goes into the burgers is in the pennies so the 2p can't be far off wrong

that said, i've been to loads of mac's in the middle of the night and they all operate the same policy of only doing the big burgers rather than the tiddlers
Old 27-04-2008, 06:29 PM
alan12112

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
It would be if anyone had said that in the first place, but no one did, I said the franchise holder of my local store by the time he has to pay mcdonalds their over inflated prices for the burger, and pay the rent on the building and pay the franchise and pay his staff would make naff all if that was all he sold, thats TOTALLY different to what you just said, mcdonalds themselves still no doubt make a healthy profit out of each one.
well then therefore you are comparing the fact I said Macdonalds in my original post to your franchise holder

And plus my dad is bigger than yours
Old 27-04-2008, 06:31 PM
alan12112

Originally Posted by Coldo
24 hour McDonalds!

Bloody hell, never seen such a thing anywhere near me. Think the one at Linwood is open till midnight or something.
Coldo i'm sure there's one in glasgow (m9) might be wrong but I thought I saw one when I had my annual scotland break earlier on in the year
Old 27-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

And also chip if you call the woman again I will hunt you down son and shove a 2p bigmac down your face whilst you toss my salad

I had to go out and buy a big mac meal because of this thread

Was nice though...
Old 27-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
a double cheesburger is 2 bits of meat
a big mac is 2 bits of meat
Are you sure Shite food
Old 27-04-2008, 07:00 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I bought a Ł3.69 Big Mac meal friday night, paid with Ł3.70, and got no change.
Cheeky dumb fucker.
Old 27-04-2008, 07:15 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

mcdonalds and all of the rest of them is shit food anyway. pmsl at arguing over burger prices lol
Old 27-04-2008, 07:28 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My local McD's employed loads of nigerian types (sorry no idea of where they actually came from, but gives the idea!!).

Noticed everytime I threw, the total was mumbled to me, and then upon leaving I would feel that i was a quid or so short on the change. So, one day I went threw, again, mumbled total, but checked the receipt with the total, and yep a quid short.

I know it is only a quid, but it is my F**king quid, if they did that to 50% of costers, how much has that cheaky bitch on the counter made in a day????? I went back in and they said I would have to wait for the tills to be checked, I lost my rag and ranted at them and was quickly given my quid back.

Few weeks later I went again, this time i ordered 12 quids worth of food for me and a mate off the person who takes your order in the traffic que, then the bird and lad in the drive threw counter were feking around and from a 20 quid note, gave me 18 quid change!!!!

On reaching the food window, I was given a happy meal, told them that was not my order and repeated it, next thing the bird and lad come over - shoves his had out and says 'give me 10 quid' I point blank refused, then the girl pipes up, told her to do one.

Manager comes over, I tell him his staff have cocked up the order and should concerntrate on greating the customer, not trying pissing around, was givien my food and it tasted great for 1.99!!!
Old 27-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by NEEDFORSPEED
mcdonalds and all of the rest of them is shit food anyway. pmsl at arguing over burger prices lol
Yup, they certainly are. But I was hungry, it was half midnight, I wasn't stopping to go to a dodgy kebab shop so MacDonalds drive thru was the best plan....

And I wasn't arguing over any prices - I was voicing the fact I think it's somewhat ludicrous that MacDonalds won't sell you a burger past a certain time!
Old 27-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I was voicing the fact I think it's somewhat ludicrous that MacDonalds won't sell you a burger past a certain time!
Its only like them stopping the Breakfasts at half 10
Old 27-04-2008, 07:36 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Thrush
Yup, they certainly are. But I was hungry, it was half midnight, I wasn't stopping to go to a dodgy kebab shop so MacDonalds drive thru was the best plan....

And I wasn't arguing over any prices - I was voicing the fact I think it's somewhat ludicrous that MacDonalds won't sell you a burger past a certain time!
no sorry not you! i wasnt clear lol, laughing at the 2p for a burger thing! fast food obviously is good but i dont understand people actually going for a meal at tea time etc. each to their own tho
Old 27-04-2008, 08:17 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no mate it aint but it still looks rediculous
oh and scaffolding in the back of a fookin fiesta isnt?
Old 27-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

romford been like that forawhile, night menu

1/4 cheese meal Ł5

big mac meal Ł6

was absolutly rammed 3am saturday morning
Old 27-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Double quarter mate if you ask nicely and pay an extra 30p you can get one

bigmacs only cost 2p to make that materials packaging and labour and thats a far better margin than you'd get on any regular/single meat patty sandwich so you can see they'll make loads more doing what they are doing now

Plus do you have any idea how much money macd's make? Losing 4.76 isn't even the tiniest drop in the ocean to them

Bigmacs costing 2p is bollocks
Old 27-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Dan16v
Advanced PassionFord User

what i find funy is that the burger patties that go into a big mac are the same patties that they use in a double cheeseburger, they are both cooked on the same grill, i shamefully used to work on kitchen in a macdonalds when i was younger, i dont see why they dont do doubles after a certain time, its less effort for them, and imo tastes miles better than a big mac
Old 28-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Matt J
I thought chip was only here for the technical threads?
Agreed, although id say "mainly" not "only", but this most certainly is not the sort of thing that interests me much, found it fucking funny anyone would be so inredibally dumb so had a little giggle at them, but as you can see, I was in the thread for a couple of moments spanning less than half an hour and then fucked off out anyway, only popped in again now out of morbid curiously as I couldnt sleep, its certainly not the sort of thing I want from a forum, lol

Last edited by Chip; 28-04-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 28-04-2008, 07:23 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i can imagine matt going all:

on us

and on the subject of prices:
went to macs
ordered a big mac meal
told there were no cold drinks as their machine was broke
asked for milkshake instead
got charged 30p extra for the milkshake
didn't tell me at the payment window
drove round to collect
looked at the bill
argued the point
they said the charge would have to stand
i handed back the food and said "refund"
macjobber wilted under the pressure
called manager
got my 30p back

Last edited by dojj; 28-04-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:24 AM
l0ubie
keepin' it ol' skool

my mate got put down for robbing the maccy d's where he was a manager! lol!
got set up by his mates, who offered him 3k to keep the door open and promised no weapons,
but they locked him in the fridge with the customers, holding a shot gun to his head!

He got 3 and a half years and doesnt eat maccy d's no more!!!
Old 28-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Chip

LOL @ locked in the fridge, although if it was the walk in freezer it could easily have killed them off fairly quick!
Old 28-04-2008, 08:53 AM
l0ubie
keepin' it ol' skool

i dont think they were that clever tbh!

one of the reasons they got caught was cause they ate loads of food!

Quick Reply: MacDonalds - WTF?