General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

BT broadband question

Search this Thread

Old 17-04-2008, 09:40 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT broadband question

right my mate is having a bit trouble with his BT broadband, he was with sky untill recently and diecied to go with BT, the problem he is having is he cannot connect his computer which is up stairs to the wireless router/hub but yet his xbox connects no problem in the livingroom.

The lights come on the hub for a few seconds then off for few minutes. his type in all the necesary wylan key and he is pretty good with computers and tried everything what there technical surport has surgested and has even had another hub sent out but still no joy.

My mate has even tried to cancell it but BT are now saying he will have to pay up the 12 month contract even though they told him on the phone he has upto 10 days when you take out the contract to cancell and have went back on there word and are denying saying that

anyone else had any trouble ????
Old 17-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

weve had no end of problems with our BT Broadband tbh, had it reinstalled in October and the wireless has only JUST been fixed, we couldnt even connect sat underneath the hub

theyre a pack of idiots, they wont charge you for the remainder of the contract if theyre not fulfilling the terms of their contract to you, best thing you can do is cancel your direct debits, wait for them to cut you off and pay the outstanding balance, which wont be the full 12mths, this was the only way we could get out of the contract last time tbh, and they never pursued us.

The routers are crap at connecting in a different room, ours struggles in the kitchen which is about 5mtrs from the hub!!!!!!
Old 18-04-2008, 05:33 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

...........i aint the best with these thing but my hubs downstairs and the pc upstairs...and mine works fine...just followed the instullation set up and never had a problem...........edited to say.....yes u have a 10 day cooling off period......

Last edited by pete mcrash; 18-04-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 18-04-2008, 06:10 AM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Pretty sure there is a legal requirement that allows the consumer to cancel within the first 14 days, its classed as a 'cooling off' period to try and let you have a think away from a pushy salesman. Oh, and as for BT, thye can go f##k themselves the useless gits
Old 18-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ours worked fine for about a year and then we had the prblem you described. It would connect to my laptop wirelessly but not the PC.

Ended up binning the hub for a normal netgear wireless router and all's now fine.
Old 18-04-2008, 06:58 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Ours is fine, sat upstairs underneath the desk and the PC, Laptop, Wii and PSP all connect fine any where in the house. Even got Wireless printing set up but the home hub is pretty shit at that so took it off!

If it's just the PC have you checked the wireless device in the PC? Do you know anyone with a laptop who can come round and test?
Old 18-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

seen this loads of times with customers routers - they'll work on wireless for one device but not another....

Simply change the channel that the router is broadcasting out on, so if it's on 3...change it to 4. try to connect - if that doesnt work, go up a channel and repeat the process till all devices connect (after each channel change, reboot the router)
Old 18-04-2008, 03:17 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy

Originally Posted by Nash_mr2
seen this loads of times with customers routers - they'll work on wireless for one device but not another....

Simply change the channel that the router is broadcasting out on, so if it's on 3...change it to 4. try to connect - if that doesnt work, go up a channel and repeat the process till all devices connect (after each channel change, reboot the router)
cheers will tell my mate to try that tonite when he gets in
Old 18-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

oh and there are loads of known issues if you connect with intel pro set wireless with bt wireless, weve now got vista and it doesnt use intel pro wireless , not had a problem since
Old 18-04-2008, 03:58 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy

he is asking if he could use his old sky router as that was Netgear ??? and he had no probs at all when he was with sky.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

put it on channel 7,

then try
Old 19-04-2008, 12:20 PM
turbo_3dr_tommy

my mate finally got it cancelled today after about 5hrs of phone calls over the last three days of telling them all he want ed to do is to cancell and they past him round half of india the half of scotland they finally gave in.

he's going to go with AOL now plus you get a PS3 if you sign up at the minute, has anyone had any trouble or heard bad things about them ????

cheers for any advice
Old 19-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

I bought my mum a dg834g router I think it was as she is on adsl.

No problems at all, wouldnt use the rubbish they supply tho

Old 19-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

aol

ah well
Old 19-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

at least hes got out of it, they are rubbish at resolving problems with wireless though

we changed onto every channel possible and it still didnt solve our problem