General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

happy visakhi

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default happy visakhi

to all thebrothers and sisters out there

and for the rest of you lot too as i'm not discriminating against anyone

pics later if you like, there were around 80,000 peole crowding the streets of southall and it took most of all day

the proper hardcore singhs were barefoot in teh snow too

Last edited by dojj; 14-04-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:05 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quality

thinking of popping to 'Rita's' for a bit of grub soon, top quality Asain food!

Dojj, don't forget the Birthdays for us honkys
Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Visakhi to everyone of Pf But I thought it was next week?

Last edited by Physio; 07-04-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry to be very obtuse, but what festival is Visakhi, and what is it to celebrate?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

happy Vaisakhi to everyone to! but it aint until next week lol...sunday (yesterday) was the march to mark the special occassion

for those that dont know...its basically the Sikh new year...and the reason its so sacred for sikhs;

Vaisakhi is a long established harvest festival in the Punjab. It had been celebrated long before it gained an added dimension for Sikhs.

In 1699 the tenth guru, Guru Gobind Singh, chose Vaisakhi as the occasion to transform the Sikhs into a family of soldier saints, known as the Khalsa Panth.

Guru Gobind Singh founded the Khalsa in front of thousands at Anandpur Sahib.

During the Vaisakhi festival Guru Gobind Singh came out of a tent carrying a sword. He challenged any Sikh who was prepared to give his life to come into the tent. The Guru returned alone with his sword covered in blood. He then requested another volunteer and repeated the same action four times until five men disappeared into the tent. The crowd was very concerned until they saw five men return wearing turbans with the Guru.

The men were then baptised into the Khalsa by the Guru. He sprinkled them with Amrit ('immortalising nectar': the Sikh term for holy water) and said prayers. This is the basis of the Sikh baptism ceremony.

quick pic i found...probably not even a quarter of the amount of people!

bassboy
Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bassboy
happy Vaisakhi to everyone to! but it aint until next week lol...sunday (yesterday) was the march to mark the special occassion

for those that dont know...its basically the Sikh new year...and the reason its so sacred for sikhs;

Vaisakhi is a long established harvest festival in the Punjab. It had been celebrated long before it gained an added dimension for Sikhs.

In 1699 the tenth guru, Guru Gobind Singh, chose Vaisakhi as the occasion to transform the Sikhs into a family of soldier saints, known as the Khalsa Panth.

Guru Gobind Singh founded the Khalsa in front of thousands at Anandpur Sahib.

During the Vaisakhi festival Guru Gobind Singh came out of a tent carrying a sword. He challenged any Sikh who was prepared to give his life to come into the tent. The Guru returned alone with his sword covered in blood. He then requested another volunteer and repeated the same action four times until five men disappeared into the tent. The crowd was very concerned until they saw five men return wearing turbans with the Guru.

The men were then baptised into the Khalsa by the Guru. He sprinkled them with Amrit ('immortalising nectar': the Sikh term for holy water) and said prayers. This is the basis of the Sikh baptism ceremony.

quick pic i found...probably not even a quarter of the amount of people!

bassboy
Cool! Much drinking done? Sikh guy at work went to his bro's wedding and said it was basically a 7 day piss up!!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by bigchez
Cool! Much drinking done? Sikh guy at work went to his bro's wedding and said it was basically a 7 day piss up!!
The idiots who get the occasion confused & forget what it's all about do plenty of drinking

Alcohol & Sikh holy days dont go hand in hand bud.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by A J
The idiots who get the occasion confused & forget what it's all about do plenty of drinking

Alcohol & Sikh holy days dont go hand in hand bud.
Sorry.

I genuinely had no idea that it was the Sikh New Year before now. So is drinking OK at weddings, just not on holy days?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Sorry.

I genuinely had no idea that it was the Sikh New Year before now. So is drinking OK at weddings, just not on holy days?
Sorry mate, I wasnt having a dig at you

It's ok to drink at wedding's & party's etc but stuff like this is a religious occasion & alcohol shouldn't be involved in such a day

If you or anyone else has any questions about Vaisakhi feel free to ask so we can help you to understand what's it's all about etc
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as above i find is disrespectful to drink alchol on a holy day like vashaki..

nowadys its just a place for the young gangstass out there to pick fights and pick up birds..

the true meaning has never existed with the young..but the old will remmeber and respect whaat it means.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 AM
dojj

yes, it's true that vaisakhi is next sunday, but the big old marching and procesions and stuff happen normally 2 weekends before the event, but for some reason they were held this past weekend

there are some families that can trace their anscestors back to the initial gathering but there were loads of places where the locals were "ordained" into sikhism

i've got some pics at home that i'll put up later (broken internet last couple of days) but there were that many people there in southall that, from the time the first vehicle passed us outside the police station, to when the last vehicle passed us it had taken nearly and hour and a half

and i've also got a picture and an elderly white couple who sat on a wall enjoying the events too

next sunday is going to be a bit less hectic, but i'd still avoid places such as southall because you know that there is going to be loads of congestion, even more than there normally is on a sunday
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM
dojj

Sorry.

it's one of the 5 things you need to abstain from in order to go to a holy event
even weddings you can't drink before the afternoon/evening when all the religious stuff has happened (guy came to my wedding, a mate of a mate, and he sparked up a smoke in the temple, he got beaten up and thrown out and bought shame upon his friend who'd bought him along)

you'll also notice that the vast majority of peole in the pictures have their head covered as a sign of respect because they are in gods house, even though they aren't on temple grounds, god is everywhere so we show respect that way

different parts of sikhism perceve things in subtle but different ways, but the central belief is that if you are good and treat others well, you can live a happy life
Old 14-04-2008, 11:49 AM
dojj

bttt
Old 14-04-2008, 12:07 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by dojj
but the central belief is that if you are good and treat others well, you can live a happy life
If only more people regardless of their religion or beliefs carried that out, there would be more happiness in the world
Old 14-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Just for ref - Sikhs are NOT meant to consume alcohol - full spot. Shame majority do and hence why everyone knows most sikhs to be pi$$ heads.
Old 14-04-2008, 01:25 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by Bobby Singh
Just for ref - Sikhs are NOT meant to consume alcohol - full spot. Shame majority do and hence why everyone knows most sikhs to be pi$$ heads.
At least most Sikhs fit in with the rest of the country then unlike some religions
Old 14-04-2008, 01:41 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thought the march in Brum was on the 25th?
Old 14-04-2008, 02:05 PM
dojj

the march is supposed to be in the proceding weeks leading up to the 14th of april, but becuase we ask for the support of the local authorities and police to close roads, marshall people, set up restrictions for vehicles etc and you can't really start a march off with 80'000 peole and exect things not go get mixed up if there is no "offical" word on the street as to wht's going on

if your busines closed for a day because the road was closed you'd be happier if you knew about it a few months in advance rather than open up shop one moring and then, with the hordes of people going past, no one actually came in

then again, perhaps that march is for soemthng else
Old 14-04-2008, 02:09 PM
dojj

very true, butthe pug wearing singhs who shave also let the side down

i know you are supposed to try and conform in ways that you can find possible, the motorcycle helmet thing, but stubble is not really in keeping with the "don't cut your hair" wording

same with the "do not drink, do not smoke" thing, although i will say that i can't rememerb the last time i saw a turben'd up singh with a fag in his hand, can you imagine it, he'd get lynched in southall

and then he'd face themusic when he got home to his parents
Old 14-04-2008, 02:28 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

i know you are supposed to try and conform in ways that you can find possible, the motorcycle helmet thing, but stubble is not really in keeping with the "don't cut your hair" wording

same with the "do not drink, do not smoke" thing, although i will say that i can't rememerb the last time i saw a turben'd up singh with a fag in his hand, can you imagine it, he'd get lynched in southall

his dad smells smoke on his clothes, takes his belt off and whips his son hard for a good 5 mins, and then the sons wife walks in
Old 14-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Without turning this into a RE lesson lol - we shouldnt really concern ourselves with what others are doing we need to look at ourselves and make changes to ourselves before telling other anything.

For anyone who wants mind blowing Kirtan pm your address and I'll burn u some cds.

Take care

Last edited by Bobby Singh; 14-04-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 14-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thats what i though too and meat?

i went southall once on a visakhi day once and fook me the cars down there were like if it was a super car meet
Old 14-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CossieRich
If only more people regardless of their religion or beliefs carried that out, there would be more happiness in the world
Pretty much every religion has the "golden rule". I.e., "do unto others, as you would have them do to you" etc, but MOST people don't follow it. Even the most religious of people. In fact, they're usually the worst.
Old 14-04-2008, 04:10 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone gets up to anything on the Brum march, be warned, I will be watching
Old 14-04-2008, 10:30 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by arch
If anyone gets up to anything on the Brum march, be warned, I will be watching

and your going to take on all the thousand of people there

be prepared for race wars.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:08 AM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

it's one of the 5 things you need to abstain from in order to go to a holy event
even weddings you can't drink before the afternoon/evening when all the religious stuff has happened (guy came to my wedding, a mate of a mate, and he sparked up a smoke in the temple, he got beaten up and thrown out and bought shame upon his friend who'd bought him along)
I admit it's very inconsiderate to light up. But surely beating somebody up in gods house is worse than lighting up in it? This is the side of religion i've never understood, where somethings are acceptable but others aren't, but to an outsider they both seem as bad as each other...