General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Headgaskets Gone! Any reason why??

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2004, 01:40 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgaskets Gone! Any reason why??

Just found a load of mayo like shit in my breather pipes, and my filler cap, so im assuming the headgasket has gone!! What causes this? Anything to do with too much heat? Too much fuel? Just want to make sure when i get a new one on, there aint gonna be chance of it happening again?

Also, anyone recommend anyone in notts area who can do the job, and do it well??
Old 22-10-2004, 01:49 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

u sure its the head gasket mate?

any mayo in the header tank, loosing coolant?
Old 22-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Micky
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As siad by ballin,how do you know its the headgasket???The mayo can also be caused by condensation in the breather system.Is the car overheating/using coolant/oil contamination in the header tank?????????Regards Micky
Old 22-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mayo in just the breather can be a sympton of lots of short stop/start runs - my old pug 19git used to clog up when i lived only 3miles from work, once a good run up the motorway it would all be clear - the oil mist mixes with the cold damp air and emulsifies, if it never gets hot enough to make it runny and burn(digest) it off it just stays in there looking minging - a quick and easy check it to take it to a MOT station and askj them to put the emmisions probe in the actual headre tank - it will show if any combustion products are being forced into the cooling system.
Old 22-10-2004, 02:09 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers Dave, could be that, cos i only live 2 miles from work? Anyoen else heard of this??
This sounds daft, but how do i check the breather system, i really am useless with cars, and wouldnt know where to start!

I ought to put up a pic of the engine so people can put arrows of where to look LOL

Thanks for the replies as well peeps!
Old 22-10-2004, 02:20 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

its not head gasket mate, if you live 2 miles from work then thats it, almost guaranteed.....more common this time of year too
Old 22-10-2004, 02:40 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers ladzs, do you reckon if i go and warm her up outside and keep her running for say 30mins, it might get rid of the mayo??
Old 22-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

na, take it for a long boot down the motorway
Old 22-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
mayo in just the breather can be a sympton of lots of short stop/start runs - my old pug 19git used to clog up when i lived only 3miles from work, once a good run up the motorway it would all be clear - the oil mist mixes with the cold damp air and emulsifies, if it never gets hot enough to make it runny and burn(digest) it off it just stays in there looking minging - a quick and easy check it to take it to a MOT station and askj them to put the emmisions probe in the actual headre tank - it will show if any combustion products are being forced into the cooling system.
Perfect

If in doubt fella, ask Gus to take a look when you see him next, but for fooks sake dont let him drive it, or head gasket will be the cheapest of its new problems
Old 22-10-2004, 03:03 PM
James Raby
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mine did it when In was banned, took ALL breather pipes off and fluched 'em out good and proper, still does it occasionally 'cos of short runs, but a decent drive with oil and water RIGHT up to temp will sort it, approx 100mile trip???

Go see some mates LOL
Old 22-10-2004, 03:29 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
Perfect

If in doubt fella, ask Gus to take a look when you see him next, but for fooks sake dont let him drive it, or head gasket will be the cheapest of its new problems

Cheers everyone !!
Old 22-10-2004, 03:35 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80260
Old 22-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post