General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ebay advice please - item paid for but not sent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Jimmyc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay advice please - item paid for but not sent?

In need of a little advice please, i bought an item of ebay for the car last week (the 26th) fully paid for through paypal cost just a touch over £100.
E-mailed the seller with my payment adress through paypal, then sent them a message via ebay asking them to let me know when i should expect the item to arrive so that i could make arrangements for somebody to be in, but heard nothing back for a day or so.

So i thought i would send them a PM on here as they are a passionford goldmember and i saw the item advertised through this site, asking the same again.

Still 5days on, today, i have heard nothing and i know the member has been on PF since the PM was sent and must have seen it. so i sent another e-mail through ebay asking the same question, and whether the item had been sent?

As i still haven't heard anything i am begining to get a little worried that i have been done out of £100, the even more worrying thing is, since i bought the item he has recieved 2 neg feedbacks, and he is selling more things from an RS he appears to be breaking, now i don't want anyone else in the same situation as me.

How should i go about this? Never really had a problem like this before has anyonbe else.
I know i am fairly new around here and this is one of my first posts - sucks to be a neative one but hope someone can help.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 AM
madmack99
I Love BooST

ask around for hes number and try ring him you can go through ebay and they will take action etc you will have to ask someone that knows or had dealt with this

i brought a router for £56 i payed for it and never see it for 1 month i then contacted him saying i was going to take legal action he then gave me a full refund of my money and i got the router for free
Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

To be fair, although inconvenient for you as a punter, someone selling a few bits off a car they are breaking (ie not a commerical breaker) may well not have a job where they can get it off to the post office at a drop of a hat, so a week's delay isnt really unreasonable IMHO and I suspect paypal/ebay would agree.

Id give it a little while longer before you get really arsey over it.

But on the other hand, name and shame threads are always popular with the witchhunt crew, lol
Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Jimmyc

Thanks for the advice guys, thought about getting his number mm99 but not too sure how to go about it.
Chip- it's not the fact that it hasn't arrived that's bothered me as i am in no rush for the item and i agree that a weeks delay isnt unreasonable, it's the fact he hasn't even bothered to respond to any of my messages that's getting me slightly worried.

Last edited by Jimmyc; 02-04-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

But on the other hand, name and shame threads are always popular with the witchhunt crew, lol

name and shame, name and shame
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if someone is breaking a car they may be waiting for other stuff to come off as well and it might not happen till the weekend

but 5 days is not uncommon to wait for something

i would be more worried about the fact that he's not replied to your emails but its a little early to name and shame

do a search to find out when they have been posting and if there have been any problems
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

Just give it 7 days then file a pay-pal dispute, if he is failing to reply to emails

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

name and shame always does the trick, either way as you paid through paypal you're covered, give him a few more days to reply then open a dispute on paypal and you'll get your money back. Paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer
Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
turbo_3dr_tommy

i think u have to wait 10 days before you can report it to ebay, your covered by paypal anyway so hopefully u ll get ur money back if he doesnt send it. but if hes waited a couple of days to send it and only sent its 2nd class with the weekend just been it could be here this week

good luck

Sian
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Chip

Also, If I were the sell Id probably be getting pissed off with you by now if I sold you something and within 5 days you were firing off emails and pm's and all over the place and posting on the forum about it to be perfectly honest.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Also, If I were the sell Id probably be getting pissed off with you by now if I sold you something and within 5 days you were firing off emails and pm's and all over the place and posting on the forum about it to be perfectly honest.
I'd be fuckin pissed off if you had my money for 5 days and couldnt be bothered to reply to an email myself when you've had time to browse the site!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I'd be fuckin pissed off if you had my money for 5 days and couldnt be bothered to reply to an email myself when you've had time to browse the site!
I quite often dont check my personal messages for a couple of days at a time on some of the forums I use, even when im online, I always figure if its urgent then people will phone me not just send me a PM and hope I go into my inbox.

At the moment by PM status at the top of this forum for example says:
Private Messages: Unread 59, Total 478.

Do you think that I shouldnt be allowed to browse the forum until Ive gone and checked what my messages are?

Unless it said on the ebay advert it was going to be sent next day or something, I dont see how the guy has ANY right to be chasing it up until it gets to the standard issue (10 days IIRC) that ebay say is acceptable, its just rude IMHO unless he told the guy BEFORE he ordered it that there was some urgency to it!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
It's Czech Mate

I quite often dont check my personal messages for a couple of days at a time on some of the forums I use, even when im online, I always figure if its urgent then people will phone me not just send me a PM and hope I go into my inbox.

Do you think that I shouldnt be allowed to browse the forum until Ive gone and checked what my messages are?

Unless it said on the ebay advert it was going to be sent next day or something, I dont see how the guy has ANY right to be chasing it up until it gets to the standard issue (10 days IIRC) that ebay say is acceptable, its just rude IMHO unless he told the guy BEFORE he ordered it that there was some urgency to it!

Where did I mention reading PM's on here? If he has time to browse PF then he should have time to simply reply to his ebay messages.

I dont care what the rules of ebay are ( i think they may actually state you have 28 days to dispatch ) but personally i'd be pissed if I sent immediate pp payment that had been accepted then got no response to my questions for 5 days, particularly if the seller had incurred some negative feedback in that time.

If that seller was me i'd be wanting to reasssure the buyers I had.....unless I was just concerned with getting their cash and fuck providing a decent service!

I guess thats just the way i like to do ebay business, I appreciate not all of us are the same
Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM
dojj

i can unvderstand both sides of the arguement here

but i think that you would agree chip that if i had paid you £100+ for an item you had for sale then would it not be polite to answer the pm?

it may be considered "rude" to ask but unless the seller has said they will be busy during the week and will reply at the weekend then i think 5 days is more than adequate to expect a reply

on the other hand, the seller may not have been able to get online for other reasons so i won't be clamouring for the lynch mob just yet
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
g10ens
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would he have the phone number of somebody off of ebay? I expect PM's and email are the only way he can contact the bloke.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by dojj
i can unvderstand both sides of the arguement here

but i think that you would agree chip that if i had paid you £100+ for an item you had for sale then would it not be polite to answer the pm?

it may be considered "rude" to ask but unless the seller has said they will be busy during the week and will reply at the weekend then i think 5 days is more than adequate to expect a reply

on the other hand, the seller may not have been able to get online for other reasons so i won't be clamouring for the lynch mob just yet
Dojj if you read the seller has been on PF during that 5 day period so clearly has 'some' time on his hands to reply to an email
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
dojj

but that just confusses the issue
same with his 2 negs
it certainly does raise doubts over the sellers credability but i think the more general issue here is how long can you hang on to somes money before you post off their stuff

and there seems to be some sort of difference between what is acceptable to some people and what is acceptable o others

both sets however tend to be not as laid back as the official timeframe in which to send goods
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by g10ens
Why would he have the phone number of somebody off of ebay? I expect PM's and email are the only way he can contact the bloke.
I didnt say he would have the blokes phone number.
I simply said that IMHO nothing urgent should ever rely on a PM so I personally never treat any PM as urgent, so it seems reasonable to me that the guy simply might not have read his yet.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
vroomtshh

There is a train of thought with Paypal, that you dont have the cash, until its in your bank. So you have paid it, but the person doesn;t actually have the money you sent him. So lets look at the extreme and say he has no money of his own. How would he post it, without the money you've paid him for postage.

When I sell stuff on ebay, I personally would have answered all your emails, posted it the morning after you paypalled me, and emailed you to let you know it was posted.

But what hes doing isn't really wrong as yet.

I also know, if you're anything like me, when you buy something, you want it now. I buy stuff from abroad and spend the whole time moaning until it arrives, even if its 5 days lol.

Give the guy a few more days and then escalate it to a dispute with ebay
Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Chip

LOL @ want it now, I think we all do that as buyers, lol
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

also to note that if he has no money and is waiting for the money from paypal to clear into his account before posting it, which is 5-7 working days.

Maybe he's skint and waiting for this and simply cant afford to post it until he has the cash.

Just give it a few more days, ebay and paypal wont let you set up a dispute unless its after 10 days anyway
Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Jimmyc

Woah didn't want to cause a ruckus!
lots of interesting views coming up, think maybe i've been a little impatient, maybe the seller hasn't seen the e-mail and PM. Again i'm not bothered how long it takes for the item to arrive, like i said i just want to be reassured that the seller is genuine.

Whenever i sell anything on ebay, i tend to email the buyer of whats happening, and when the item has been sent etc. as soon as i know. Last thing i personally would want is to pi** people off by getting them worried about there money.

Thanks for all of the advice so far, think i will leave it a couple more days!

Last edited by Jimmyc; 02-04-2008 at 03:16 PM.