General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Computer Techies/Sky, Virgin, Freeview box users

Search this Thread

Old 27-03-2008, 02:25 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Computer Techies/Sky, Virgin, Freeview box users

I am trying to fathom why this pile of crap I bought dont work.

I have a freeview box that I am trying to wire up to my PC monitor. I bought a SCART to VGA leads and wired it up, didnt work, computer monitor couldnt see the signal and was on standby all the time.

So I thought OK lets try a component to VGA lead. Basically instead of scart its the one with a red, yellow and white RCA leads. Tried this, again, no signal on the monitor. FFS!!!!

Then I tried the stupid thing downstairs on standard SCART to SCART cable through the television and surprise surprise it works!!

So what the fuck is up with that? Has anyone else got their freeview/cable/sky boxes running on their PC?

If so what cables did you use?

I cant fathom why it wont see the box and come out of standby!!

Can't it decode the signal or something like that?

Thanks
Old 27-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no synch signal probably,
Old 27-03-2008, 03:07 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

so it wont work on a monitor full stop then?
Old 27-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nope, as it only outputs RGB at best (possible s video aswell ) so unless yuo got a monitor with RGB input it wont have it.

i only know as i built a media centre setup under my tv last year from an old pc and had all the fun of finding out about signal types and standards and what you can wire to what without any black boxes inbetween.
Old 27-03-2008, 03:21 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Bollocks I thought as much. Should've realized computer monitors do RGB only and do not provide AUX channels
Old 27-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

get a tv pci card for your PC? Would it not be easier. They are only about 30 quid for a half decent one nowadays
Old 27-03-2008, 03:40 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by Stephen_B
get a tv pci card for your PC? Would it not be easier. They are only about 30 quid for a half decent one nowadays
should've done that in the first place but this box was just lying around and I tried to make use of it lol

Trending Topics

Old 27-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as above, whata PVR card in your pc and it becomes a hard disc freeview recorder, job done
Old 27-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

i have a pinnacle twin freeview tuner in mine, which is pretty good. Although to get drivers working you have to install the full tv software package as driver alone done seem to want to work, which is fine until you realise the download is 250+ meg and you can only download from there site at around 70-80 kbpsIt takes its time anyway lol.

Hauppage are meant to be good aswell though
Old 27-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pani_k
I am trying to fathom why this pile of crap I bought dont work.

I have a freeview box that I am trying to wire up to my PC monitor. I bought a SCART to VGA leads and wired it up, didnt work, computer monitor couldnt see the signal and was on standby all the time.

So I thought OK lets try a component to VGA lead. Basically instead of scart its the one with a red, yellow and white RCA leads. Tried this, again, no signal on the monitor. FFS!!!!

Then I tried the stupid thing downstairs on standard SCART to SCART cable through the television and surprise surprise it works!!

So what the fuck is up with that? Has anyone else got their freeview/cable/sky boxes running on their PC?

If so what cables did you use?

I cant fathom why it wont see the box and come out of standby!!

Can't it decode the signal or something like that?

Thanks
Because PC monitors work completely different to TV's. It's all to do with sync, horizontal and vertical freq's, and refresh rates.

I have a Freeview/DVD player hooked into a 17" TFT monitor, and I had to buy this specific model as it's the only one I have ever seen with a VGA output. Even then, I have to run it in 640x480 res, in NTSC format, at 60hz - and although it looks okay, it don't look crystal fantastic.

Anyway, unless the source device you have can output a VGA type of analogue RGB (commonly known as RGBHV : red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync) either via a VGA connector, Scart socket, or component socket, then you will never get it to work on a computer monitor, TFT or CRT. And whilst we are on the subject, component (red, blue, and green phono connectors) and RGB scart are also two different formats and not interchangeable. So even tho you can buy a lead the has scart on one end and the red, blue and green phono's on the other end, unless your source device can output a YUV (YPrPb) signal over a scart connector, then again, you won't be able to cross-match the connectors. Lastly, yellow, red and white phono sets are NOT component - they are COMPOSITE. The Yellow is video, and the red and white are for audio (left and right analogue stereo)

If you REALLY want to run a Freeview box on your monitor then you'll be after something like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-DVB-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Digital Terrestrial tuner (DVB-T) for Freeview, takes regular aerial input, and outputs over VGA to plug into a monitor. Wire something in for sound (amp, hifi etc) and you're sorted.

Either that or you need a converter box, like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XGA-VGA-BOX-TR...QQcmdZViewItem

You use a scart to AV (scart one end, and yellow, red and white phono's on the other end) lead to plug the Freeview box into this converter, and then a VGA lead to your monitor (the red and white phono's from the scart breakout lead need to go into an amp or hifi to provide sound) I have never tried one myself, but nearly bought one before I found the freeview/dvd box I bought instead...
Old 27-03-2008, 04:50 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'm sure you can buy a usb freeveiw stick in tesco/currys for about £30!

personally i have a 19" lcd moniter with tv tuner built in which then allows me to switch between pc and ps2 using rca/video cable from one screen.
Old 27-03-2008, 04:53 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I understood all you were saying mate. Thanks for the info. Will probably get one of those digi-USB tuners things and run it straight off the PC.

Thanks once again
Old 27-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Bear in mind this will only allow you to use a single monitor, for either PC or Freeview - unless of course you set the Freeview to display in a little window in the corner of the screen, as opposed to full screen - and of course your PC will have to be on to use it.

Which is why I chose a stand alone box, as it means I can still use it without the PC being on, or when the PC is busy, and can have it's own monitor...