General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Business Idea ??

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2008, 04:46 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Business Idea ??

This morning i was in the shower and thought there has to be a better way to make money than standing in the shower at 6am and working for someone else..... and making them money.

Just had a chat with my directors and have found out that there are only 2 Cash collecting companies in the UK. Securicor and Securitas.
Now they collect from our 54 branches and deposit the money for us and saves the manager risking being robbed putting it in a bank. However we dont collect from the far away branches too often as it costs alot of money... Now it costs us £60 per branch per day and we have 54 sites...

Just thinking if a bank would consider a business start up loan for an idea like that.

Anyone got ideas or can see any problems?
I was thinking maybe doing the M25 to start and maybe move from there.

I maybe thinking a bit too big but got to think big to go somewhere
Old 25-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whos gonna cover the insurance incase you do get robbed, how will you NOT get robbed, remember security firms went tits up due to robberys back in the days, now its not as comon due to all the security they have meaning " outlay " of cash

wanna make money then think smaller with higher returns /less risk
Old 25-03-2008, 04:54 PM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Sounds like a good idea Dan!! Didn't realise there were only two company's that do the collections. Would imagine it would cost a few quid for the armoured trucks....

Smudge
Old 25-03-2008, 04:55 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Ginge !
whos gonna cover the insurance incase you do get robbed, how will you NOT get robbed, remember security firms went tits up due to robberys back in the days, now its not as comon due to all the security they have meaning " outlay " of cash

wanna make money then think smaller with higher returns /less risk
totally agree with what your sayin Ginge..However there are alot less robberies on things like cash vans now that in the 80s and transits getting done over.
I have looked into insurances that cover you for losses aswell as we have to have our branches insured for this.

They collect over £400k per day from us.
Something i really am considering at the moment though. i need to start something on my own...i missed out a property magazine when i was 18 that got a year ago for £12MILLION
Old 25-03-2008, 04:57 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by smudgerz
Sounds like a good idea Dan!! Didn't realise there were only two company's that do the collections. Would imagine it would cost a few quid for the armoured trucks....

Smudge
CIT (cash in transit) vehicles as they are called do cost a few quid however the return on them i am sure would be alot more.
Granted there are a hell of alot of potential problems but the return could be great.
just putting the feelers out...i cant really go into too much detail with my bosses incase they think i will leave
Old 25-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by DanCossie
This morning i was in the shower
Woah there! Tooooo much information Dan!
Old 25-03-2008, 05:03 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Dan
Woah there! Tooooo much information Dan!
fcuk off

wanna join me
Old 25-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dan look into a new business, imagine what company will be interested in trying a smaller company and risking it with there half a million quid, theres less robberies for a reason, cause the better companys stopped it being so easy !!!, the money involved aint a few quid, its gonna cost you half a million to set up the business, why dont you see door supervision companys take out this sideline ???

you would be better off investing 20k into a shop and working up from there, as for property you can still get a nest egg/pension in property if you dont live in it, rent it out and sit on it long term, get a fixed rate for 3 years and sell up then or keep it rented as a pension that rises with the rater of inflation

id like to set up a business but for me to do it for the stress involved i would want more than a grand a week in my pocket after paying out or its just not worth the hassle IMO
Old 25-03-2008, 05:20 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by smudgerz

Smudge

Anice T4'd up cossie should do the trick, a nice quick getaway and inconspicous that your collecting money....

Sadly the insurance would be a Big set back, I know someone who tried to do this.
The 2 other companies insure themselves due to their value. They can cover their own loss.
Old 25-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

fcuk off

wanna join me
Show me the money and i'm in!
Old 25-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I dont know anything about transporting large sums of money safely and profitably, but I do have a safer business idea for you mate... www.evolutiongenius.co.uk
Old 25-03-2008, 05:24 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

dan look into a new business, imagine what company will be interested in trying a smaller company and risking it with there half a million quid, theres less robberies for a reason, cause the better companys stopped it being so easy !!!, the money involved aint a few quid, its gonna cost you half a million to set up the business, why dont you see door supervision companys take out this sideline ???

you would be better off investing 20k into a shop and working up from there, as for property you can still get a nest egg/pension in property if you dont live in it, rent it out and sit on it long term, get a fixed rate for 3 years and sell up then or keep it rented as a pension that rises with the rater of inflation

id like to set up a business but for me to do it for the stress involved i would want more than a grand a week in my pocket after paying out or its just not worth the hassle IMO
I agree ginge. as i said this is just an idea...and i am not talking about companies as big as euros i mean smaller places like estate agents that use them etc. just putting the feelers out...
property is something i realyl want to get into however i need to talk to someoene who knows the market inside out. my m8 bailey you met is just selling his first one and looking to make 40k in 3 months. thats the sort of money i want.
i applied for a job today with a £60k package going back into an agency but i just wish i could work for myself
and i would want more than a grand a week if i was working for myself..granted not at first but after a period of time
Old 25-03-2008, 05:25 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

And the reason there are only 2 cash collecting companies left is.......

Cash is going out of general use, it's a dying business to collect cash.

Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
Anice T4'd up cossie should do the trick, a nice quick getaway and inconspicous that your collecting money....

Sadly the insurance would be a Big set back, I know someone who tried to do this.
The 2 other companies insure themselves due to their value. They can cover their own loss.

also saves on the car insurance too as thats also gonna have a bond with the government

back when all these robberies where taking place companys where bought out/bankrupt ect and just not worth the hassle,,,,,,, im sure that they also ferry prisoners about too so they gotta be fairly well secure

oh and the post office also collect cash thinking about it as one of my mates collects cash for em ( though aint spoke to him since he left the army and join them )
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN

it would break down though Dan

Insurance would be a major problem Dan and is something i am looking into more detail tommorow. reckon Tony at greenlight will give me a discount
Old 25-03-2008, 05:26 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
I dont know anything about transporting large sums of money safely and profitably, but I do have a safer business idea for you mate... www.evolutiongenius.co.uk
Cheers Stu........Will Look into it
Old 25-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by focusv8
And the reason there are only 2 cash collecting companies left is.......

Cash is going out of general use, it's a dying business to collect cash.

sucha simple and true statement too

also the law about no spending over 8k cash on items too and everyone pays on there card,,,, no need to worry

stu thats a cool thing you and kenny have set up, mobile chipping seems to work well for the superchips dealers !!!!
Old 25-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dan insurance for that would cost a VERY good few thousend, when i was looking into opening a bike shop i was quoted 1500 for basic insurance for liability,,,,, not even insuring the stock !!!

collecting upto 1/2 a million quid in cash,,,,, fuck me they would want blood
Old 25-03-2008, 05:32 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Stu - You have PM

Ginge - Will ring you later
Old 25-03-2008, 05:33 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

dan insurance for that would cost a VERY good few thousend, when i was looking into opening a bike shop i was quoted 1500 for basic insurance for liability,,,,, not even insuring the stock !!!

collecting upto 1/2 a million quid in cash,,,,, fuck me they would want blood
I have heard there is a bloodbank around?
Old 25-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
that looks an excellent opertunity (sp).would love to do that.
Old 25-03-2008, 05:37 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's easy to "launder" money and not get caught, it's not exactly rocket science

but as for the armoured car business, you've got to put aside a fair bit of cash and, if it's anything like the bus companies, it's somewhere between 500k to 5 mill on paper that you have to show if you were to get soemthing like a producer or the like to show that, if the worst did happen, you had the funds to sort things out

i can't really see someone doing something like that fron scratch in this day and age
Old 25-03-2008, 05:39 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

right idea scrapped lol
Old 25-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by dojj
it's easy to "launder" money and not get caught, it's not exactly rocket science

but as for the armoured car business, you've got to put aside a fair bit of cash and, if it's anything like the bus companies, it's somewhere between 500k to 5 mill on paper that you have to show if you were to get soemthing like a producer or the like to show that, if the worst did happen, you had the funds to sort things out

i can't really see someone doing something like that fron scratch in this day and age

its called a government bond i belive, its to stop short term business men like delorean ect these days and just close shop when theres need for a claim
Old 25-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

good to hear your not plodding through life like so many do. Im self employed running a business, its the best thing ive ever done.

Not so sure about your ides, dont get me wrong, do some sums and you may be on to a winner?

You say your company pays X amount per day for the service, but time thats broken down in to over heads, insurance, wages, prob not as pretty as it sounds?

i mean an armoured truck like they use has gota cost atleast 100k? and youd need a secure compond/depo, couldnt exactly leave it on your drive at night, someone may strap a bomb under it!!

Go to your bank put the idea to them, but make sure you have research first. do a business plan, find out what the likley over heads are.

Maby your setting your sights a bit high with the big boys? im sure money collecting/transfering is needed on a smaller scale. think about all those local restaurants/ pubs. maby they should be your target, you coud always expand this way!

also consider how simple you idea is, if it was that easy everyone would have done it!

Anyway that would be my target, offer a service to small local companies, see where the demand takes you. Also get a good reputation and who knows the skys the limit.

good luck m8
Old 25-03-2008, 05:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

yup, something lke that

it's all properly official and stuff too and you need to have at least half a mill in order to say you can "insure" yourself against any reasonable claim
Old 25-03-2008, 05:46 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Lee - Cheers mate.......yeah i am defo looking to do something with my life i am bored of the rat race..........

going to have a word with Stu to start though

i have plans to open a bar within 2 years aswell with my best mate
Old 25-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by focusv8
And the reason there are only 2 cash collecting companies left is....... Cash is going out of general use, it's a dying business to collect cash.
You know what, i never thought of that mate, bloody good point.

stu thats a cool thing you and kenny have set up, mobile chipping seems to work well for the superchips dealers !!!!
Its been my main business for 8 years mate. This Ford lark that you and many others on here probably know me for was always a born and existed due to a passion, its never been our main source of income. We had 5 dealers from day 1... Poached admittedly, but they are still with us today so we must be doing something right.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 25-03-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 25-03-2008, 09:57 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

remember the robbery where they 'faked' securicor vans and just drove off with the cash lol?

stickered up blue tranny vans with securicor on the side!
Old 25-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really, really, REALLY would like to own my own business. what i can do though, i dunno...

there has to be a better way to make money than standing in the shower at 6am
is that some kind of pay per view webcam site you run then?
Old 25-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Its funny reading this as its what i do for a living aswell as my valeting business .......................There aint just 2 companys that do Secure cash collections tho !!!!
Old 25-03-2008, 10:30 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a business idea.....

Stay with me, every household has a wheelie bin, yet loads get knicked, so many that our council are going to start charging for them.

My idea, get a stack of high tack vinyl numbers printed up, get someone trustworthy to go out knocking door to door, selling the numbers, 2 quid a time.

OK, not massive money, but in coventry there are around 150,000 houses, at 2 quid, i reckon most will have a set of you. Cost around 10p per letter so the returns are good. The hard part would be getting a reliable person to go out on the road for you.

If they got say 50p per door, 40 doors an hour on averge say 20 of them buy. That's 40 quid an hour, 10 quid an hour for the seller, the rest for you.

You would need to go an collect the cash from them every hour mind, as I would imagine they would be an easy target for nasty people!!

Just an idea, if i had someone I could send out, I would do it, very little outlay, you could do a little trial run in the local streets to see what percentage take them?
Old 25-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whos gunna trust u - theres also loomis in leeds who are big, theres better ideas i guess,
Old 25-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I was told a while ago that they aren't allowed to sell second-hand armoured vehicles in case the bad guys get hold of something the good guys couldn't stop.

If memory serves, many of them are used to form artificial reefs.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of em are in storage and broke up for spare parts to keep the old shitters on the road lol !!!

The aim is the companys try and keep the vans for 10 years .................ours have as much as 400k on the clock

Some are used for training purposes etc etc
Old 25-03-2008, 11:04 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Dan i know where your coming from, i'm often trying to think of things i can do. Admittedly not on that kind of scale lol
Old 26-03-2008, 01:02 AM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If i had the nerve i'd start up a subway sandwich shop. You can buy the stuff from them like a kit and they send u on training etc and supply the food. All u need is a decent location and u'll rake it in, those places are always busy. Ones just opened near where i live by the college, always full of ppl! Good for a gamble i'd say
Old 26-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by geoffxr4
If i had the nerve i'd start up a subway sandwich shop. You can buy the stuff from them like a kit and they send u on training etc and supply the food. All u need is a decent location and u'll rake it in, those places are always busy. Ones just opened near where i live by the college, always full of ppl! Good for a gamble i'd say

SUBWAY
The initial investment ranges from c. £100,000 to c. £245,000 for a traditional location and from £45,000 for a non-traditional location.
+ franchise fee + royalties
Old 26-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 26-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Group4 do it aswell, tho they might be under the of one of the two you mentioned...

Quick Reply: Business Idea ??