General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any window/door fitters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any window/door fitters

In my dining room, I currently have an old wooden single glazed window. It leaks and wind blows in it, and rather than replacing it, I fancy fitting patio doors. I'm usually pretty good with DIY, and I dont have a problem cutting the wall out, altering the inside etc but I was wondering just how difficult it is to fit the actual doors?

Is it just a case of rawl bolting the frame to the wall and then silicone it?

Any idea what kind of price I would be looking at for a white uPVC (inside) with brown uPVC (outside) double glazed patio door. Probably a 2 door unit so around the 1500 x 2100 mark?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hi, they are easy to fit providing your walls are cut plum, although you do have fairly good tolerances for adjustment in the doors, the essence is having frame level, plum and square. once fitted use expanding foam around frame, let foam dry, rake off excess then mastic
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

dead easy. i had new windows and doors fitted in my house a year or so again and watched how they do it.

then last summer i cut the wall out of my coal shed to put french doors in to get the bikes in, and replaced the wooden window with a upvc double glazed unit.

got my doors from wickes on special offer. as above, fill gaps with expanding foam and finish with mastic or plastic trim strips if you desire.

the key is to get the frame fixed in vertical and square (measure the diagonals). b&q do pack of window and door fixings with the extra long plugs and screws, and you'll need a long masonry bit for the hammer drill.

Last edited by foreigneRS; 05-03-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you shouldnt have a problem, id put about 5 fixings in each side and depending on what your fitting will determine if fixings elswhere are required, if doors make sure the cill has a solid bed underneath
Old 06-03-2008, 07:24 AM
vroomtshh

Excellent. I thought it would be fairly simple. I was getting quotes of Ł1200!!!! The doors I want are Ł350 so it did seem like a crazy amount of money for fitting.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ouch, providing its a nice opening and you dont need to take a grinder to it you should have it in in no time mate
Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 AM
vroomtshh

I'll be making the opeing myself. The walls are no-fines concrete. FOr people who dont know, that granite in cement, with no sand. So I'll cut the hole and then tidy it up and make it nice and square.