General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

One for the mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2008, 04:39 PM
james.dylan83
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation One for the mechanics

Afternoon all,

Just got my car back from having some work done at a local garage that i've been using for years. Felt a bit weird so just checked everything and found the wheel nuts and driveshaft nut on the passenger side we're loose, in the case of the driveshaft nut not even finger tight! Sorted it myself now but my question is what do i do? Should i tell them, would you take being told ok if you'd messed up yourselves or do i let sleeping dogs lie?

Plus does anyone know how tight driveshaft nuts should be? I'm guessing very tight?

Sorry for the long post, thanks so much for your help.
Old 26-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Dre.1983
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go ape shit at them tbh. Fuck the niceties, that could of been potentially fatal.
Old 26-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So would I, but if you've sorted it, it will be hard to prove and they will just deny it.

There is a suggested Torque setting for hub nuts too, but check what that is, they often need to be peened over too.
Old 26-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

tell them the wheel came off and ask them what they are going to do about it....
Old 26-02-2008, 05:05 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take it back, tell them the story, you sorted it but can they torque the hub nut and either put a split pin in it or knock the nut with a punch to lock it in place, no need to go mental but you got an exscuse to take it back and tell them!
Old 26-02-2008, 05:09 PM
james.dylan83

cheers for your replies folks, will be going there tomorrow and not going mental or anything, their a decent garage and have never seen me wrong before now. Was only asking as I've never been a mech and just wondering how feedack is normally recieved?
Old 26-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

have a shotgun in ya hand, if he gets arsey

shoot him
Old 26-02-2008, 05:14 PM
james.dylan83

always by my side buddy, hopefully wont come to that though LOL
Old 26-02-2008, 06:09 PM
diesel
PassionFord Regular

how many other things are left loose? the best way is to do all the work you can on your own car.

im self taught and never gone to a garage. i say just grab the spanners and give it a go
it not hard being a fitter, the harder parts is things like tuning/costomizing and knowing all the technical stuff the rest is easy plus it's alot cheaper
Old 26-02-2008, 09:41 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats bang out of order mate and bloody dangerous and all !!!

I would expect to lose my job if i did that to someone's car, absolutely no excuse for leaving wheel nuts slack as the last and most important thing you do after working on someone's car is torque the wheel nuts !!! Very shoddy workmanship by the sounds of it mate and they must have used an airgun to tighten the wheels and forgot to tighten that one properly, if you are going back get them to check that all the others are tightened to the correct torque as well.

I would go fucking ape shit if someone had done this to my car as they have put someone's life in danger through their neglect and carelesness (sp!) !!
Old 26-02-2008, 10:31 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a garage you regularly use and intend to use in the future due to many previous faultless visits then I see no point in going mad at them personaly as you'll just be shooting your self in the foot long term. Go back, tell them whats happened and just ask them to recheck every thing else to be on the safe side. If they are reputable they will be very sorry, may even offer you some sort of reccompence for the future and the person who was responsible for the poor job on your car will hopefully be 're-educated', maybe with the aid of a big stick so that he may learn from their mistakes

Or you could try the american way and just sue them