General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

500bhp how much?

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..no i think Rodney is saying you can get a GT35 to spool up as quick thus not needing to lower bhp,which means a properly setup porkies car would be quicker.

...but thats just a wild guess!
Old 18-02-2008, 07:21 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer
..no i think Rodney is saying you can get a GT35 to spool up as quick thus not needing to lower bhp,which means a properly setup porkies car would be quicker.

...but thats just a wild guess!
Old 18-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

In My opinion these builds really do have to be done properly. Martin really seems to know what he is talking about and all his advice to me has been excellent. Unfortunately i disreguarded his advice on only getting a GT30 and opted for a GT35. (lets hope that decision dont kick me in the bollocks

My build all in is going to come to about Ł10,000 without management, unfortunately that includes the dreaded tax man. But im hoping for 550-600 BHP and dont see any reason why this isnt obtainable.

Can people please let me know why im going to spend Ł3000 on Autronic management if L8 is fine. (which i already have in the car and with a pectel board) Also why 5 out of 8 cars in pf ford magazine shootout had autronic with a gt35????

Hope that gives you an idea on price by a tuner. the turbo is cheap Ł900 ntil you start bolting everything else on.

final bill Ł2100
Old 18-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

ebony it depends who your preffered mapper is...karl norris is L8 God and Stu is now closing with the anti lag etc!
Old 18-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is Mark Shead not the man for autronics? After all he has got the fastest cosworth in the country hasnt he?

if enough people tell me its not worth getting the management ive been told is the best then ill save some money and not bother

I can stick with level 8. Dont really want anti lag other than for the noise (low Psi) but do want the 4 coil conversion. dont really want air injectors to control boost either heard they are very dated and there are better ways of controlling the boost?

Am i just listening to the wrong people...
Old 18-02-2008, 07:52 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
is Mark Shead not the man for autronics? After all he has got the fastest cosworth in the country hasnt he?

if enough people tell me its not worth getting the management ive been told is the best then ill save some money and not bother

I can stick with level 8. Dont really want anti lag other than for the noise (low Psi) but do want the 4 coil conversion. dont really want air injectors to control boost either heard they are very dated and there are better ways of controlling the boost?

Am i just listening to the wrong people...
I would only change the management if you want more then 500+ bhp, because of a lot of things.
std management CAN get you to 550 bhp, but if you want the best of your engine, then i would update to an aftermarket system PURELY because of age, better chip, better design, and better software to the ecu.
You wont get more bhp(maybe a little) but your car will be more drivable in my experience.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is certainly what ive heard. as soon as youre up in the 500hp-600hp figures (which i hope to be) you need aftermarket management.

Something about the multiple map or sumin. And better fuel economy.

ive already completely decided on siemens injectors instead of 8 greens as i was going to go down wrc plenum route but have now got a swedish plenum but obviosly level 8 can use siemens injectors anyway.

Ive been told conflicting stories so confused is an understatement. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..If your mapper is Mark Shead i'd stick with him ..the top PROVEN Cossies remember run autronics..mine is just a shopping cart to scare the elderly
Old 18-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MadRod
Get a GT35 done correctly & it will kill a GT30 99% of the time. FACT.
on a std crank and Rods I think the GT30 is a far far far more usable and better set up for the road and trackday use.

With the right internals and using more revs and better box yes the GT35 could be the way to go.

But for simplicity and COST effectiveness and on road punch and usability AND realibilty for 550bhp ++++ I really think Martins GT30 setup is a GREAT and pretty amazing little monster...

Doug Stirlings had a few engines over the years... he seems to agree with me and I have NEVER been happier with my engine set up...

Reyland is your fun packed super soaraway tuner that gives you VFM!

I know you worship Mark Rod and I was telling Dave I really rate his current work the other day...

but old Martoons no mug mate and his engine do seem to hang together
Old 18-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porkie
on a std crank and Rods I think the GT30 is a far far far more usable and better set up for the road and trackday use.

With the right internals and using more revs and better box yes the GT35 could be the way to go.

But for simplicity and COST effectiveness and on road punch and usability AND realibilty for 550bhp ++++ I really think Martins GT30 setup is a GREAT and pretty amazing little monster...

Doug Stirlings had a few engines over the years... he seems to agree with me and I have NEVER been happier with my engine set up...

Reyland is your fun packed super soaraway tuner that gives you VFM!

I know you worship Mark Rod and I was telling Dave I really rate his current work the other day...

but old Martoons no mug mate and his engine do seem to hang together
....apart from that dodgy crank bolt
Old 18-02-2008, 08:19 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Lets not forget in the 80's they were getting 500+ BHP in cossie touring
cars using a derivative of the humble LEVEL 1.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol at bosch dealer

Sorry if i offended you didnt intend to. Im probably just going with the trend too much.

Seems like thats what a lot of people are doing at the moment.

Porkie... My aim was to not push any of the components to absoloubt breaking point on a daily basis, i was told a gt30 will not make 550hp And will get about 530hp at maximum point

Martin commented that with the head work thats being done and the swedish plenum the gt35 is probably better for my application.

if its no good then ill sell it as nearly new and buy a gt30 (its not a massive deal as due to external wastegate its an easy swap)

in the end a better box will be found but im no tuner so i am only going on other peoples opinions.

thanks for the replys
Old 18-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in the powerband the 35 will be GONE down the road, thats for sure, only a mug would bet on the less powerful car. But how often you gonna come up against something that will kick even a 400bhp Cossies ass, never mind a 500!

The main thing is, if we talking about pure enjoyment, is where is (and how responsive is) the powerband on the 35 on a 2litre YB compared to a 30?

On the only one ive driven, id have to totally say the 30 would be miles more FUN unless you talking pure straight line motorway stuff.

You had to be razzing the car at much higher revs to keep the 35 on song, which is fine if your in full on maximum attack mode (or on straight line roads), but sure as hell isnt point n squirt fun like I imagine the 30 is, and id say 500bhp-550bhp is enough on the road TBH in a Cossie weight thing unless you are chasing numbers and records for magazines and internet.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I Love maximum attack mode. my uk Peanut eye sti will do for the twisties. I also love a bit of lag, and the after sort of kick in the back that it brings

I suppose its each to there own. But youre acusation is probably right i suppose i am chasing figures a little bit (records and Numbers)

Probably Shouldnt.

I alo agree with the 400bhp ass kicking. My 350 bhp saph used to kill m3s so there isnt much on the road that will beat a 400bhp+ saph

Old 18-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

I Love maximum attack mode. my uk Peanut eye sti will do for the twisties. I also love a bit of lag, and the after sort of kick in the back that it brings

I suppose its each to there own. But youre acusation is probably right i suppose i am chasing figures a little bit (records and Numbers)

Probably Shouldnt.

I alo agree with the 400bhp ass kicking. My 350 bhp saph used to kill m3s so there isnt much on the road that will beat a 400bhp+ saph

..imo an E55 Kompressor would with 516ft/lb of torque with 1700kilos. ..but who has one on here?
Old 18-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is youre merc still limited to 155?
Old 18-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..no comment.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:49 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

Probably Shouldnt.

..imo an E55 Kompressor would with 516ft/lb of torque with 1700kilos. ..but who has one on here?
Haha, you just could`nt help it could you
Old 18-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Ebony- For records fair enough, and if was me id want at least 500, but knowing how they drive, id rather have a 500-550bhp GT30 than a 600bhp GT35 TBH on a 4wd car (ie a cossie that actually handles, so worth playing on twisty roads).
But if you not talking road fun, or just like motorway type racing, then yeah, just go for whatever gives you the power you want
You will have lag on both, you never gonna be short of that, so dont worry there And id say 500bhp+ and similar torque is quite a kick still

imo an E55 Kompressor would with 516ft/lb of torque with 1700kilos. ..but who has one on here?
What? Will do a 400bhp 2wd Cossie in a straight line?

400bhp in one is enough to happily pull away from 360s, Grffith 500s, Diablo SVs, etc, and maybe im underestimating your E55, but thought those cars are faster accelerating than yours.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..Stavros a 400bhp cossie will have what 400ft/lb torque?...500/516 for me 0=60 in 4.5 secs 0-100mph just over 10 secs on to 200mph confirmed by sat nav from a person.. a 2wd will just wheelspin once hooked my torque will surely take over ..not my speech
Old 18-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stavros- Youre probably right and no doubt i will find this out when i come to drive mine when its all done. but if im completely honest with you im too scared os a 4x4 cossie on the twisties. Once that rear end starts bouncing thats youre lot in my opinion. But im no lewis hamilton so what do i know.

im not a massive fan of 4x4 saph handlind so bends will be taken (fairly) Carefully.

Bosch dealer- if you do get away and its limited then im sure ill quickly catch up
Old 18-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mad Yum- I havnt even been to marks yet mate im looking to book it up after the engine is finished and run in. Im only going on other peoples experience of him in saying that he is the man for autronics.

Would never say no to a spin in it though to get an idea of what mine should be like.

Sorry to be so blatently stupid but what conversion is yum then? gt35 with autronics???

i have no chice with the gt as its already on its way mate

its the autronics i still have a choice on...
Old 18-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Phil.

Anything from 2nd up and a rolling start a 400/400 Cossie shouldnt have grip issues if got decent tyres, and the fact its massivley lighter and hasnt got a power sapping auto box means im pretty certain it will out accelerate the merc, esp with those 0-60 and 0-100 times.

Ive timed 250bhp Celica GT4s (much heavier than cossies) to 0-60 in the speed, and timed FWD Novas that do 0-100 over a second faster even with the expected massive traction problems. And thats with Datron kit, no bullshit stuff.

E55 is fast, but in those situations, from 2nd up rolling start, id be pretty confident a 400/400 2wd Cossie would be saying byebye.

Even if I had no experience of what a 400/400 type Cossie is faster than (which i do, lots) im pretty sure some simple bhp per ton calculations would show the Cossie in the lead.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

Stav..semi auto mate..read the figures...i feel the 400bhp saff would not get to grips wth the torque of the E55 i have had most conversions mate and my T4 32psi must have been over 400bhp...but not the same pull...from stand still i would pull away admittedly the 400bhp would catch up to 120m ph but after its bye bye IMHO..you are underestimating the car mate its AWESOME.....and even if i am wrong i wouldnt blow up flat out 200mph for 100 miles plus Rods beast 10 seconds

..nah seriously i rate the E55 komp no bollocks..am have the 580bhp conversion soon!
Old 18-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im also getting coil on plugs one of the best things i think. The elec dash im not to keen on but do like the autronic monitor thing. Ive only heard good things. I guess its all about if you can afford it i suppose. Did it transform the car right through the rev range like ive been told.

Are you on standard crank and rods???

im constantly told as long as the crank is original and unground its good for 600hp Only thing ive been tight on (money wise) so it is worrying me a bit

An uprated one was just a step to far for me mate

Sounds like you would be a very important person for me to know in the upcoming weeks-months

Thanks for the reply...
Old 18-02-2008, 09:11 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Originally Posted by JAP CRAP
NOT engine advantages! Arguably MUCH more reputable than them!

Like I said. dont pay any attention to the reason as thats my guess to it BUT I was told about the CR and ECU link!!!!!
My guess is you had some an glu in your ears at the time and misheard!
I didn't.

Let me put it in to context. I was looking at an engine that was at least 7.5:1 comp ratio and asked (the tuner who was a completely neutral party) if that was a bit high for the power (over 500bhp). I was told you could get away a slightly higher comp ratio if running (as i'd told him) a pectel T6 ECU.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mad Yum- I have spoken to mark mate a couple of times when making my decision on a turbo. I didnt get it from him in the end but i think he knows im coming to him for the autronics (as long as i dont get talked out of it)

he gave me a quick quote and its around 3000 inc vat which is fine.

i too have cosidered the fact that i will get some money back on selling the old bits.

maybe it would be best to see the autronics in the flesh. Dennis has it on his car from TDI but his engine still isnt in so it will be sort of buying it blind if you know what i mean. He has also got a lot of optional sensors which i dont think i will have on my car.

I will read youre thread tommorow i think i started a couple of weeks ago but didnt finish. Its a Stunner mate

Old 18-02-2008, 09:28 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what do people rekon i will make power wise with
200 block (std bolts atm but should i change to long studs?)
unsure what comp ratio im running but believe it to be low comp.
std crank and rods,
lightly ported head,
bd10 & bd14 cams,
4x4 inlet with plenum spacer,
universal turbos T38 turbo,
std 2wd sump,

greys or seimens black injectors? greys ive got seimens id have to buy,
wrc headgasket?
green L8 ecu mapped by karl/stu?

and what do you think i should change to improve the spec?
would like over 450bhp
Old 18-02-2008, 09:31 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Think greys are on the limit at 440 for starters IIRC!
Yep on the long studs and wrc gasket.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:44 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

long time no see m8, im good
and you?
looking forward to the summer so i can see your car going properly.

ive already got the turbo.
wont use greys if 440 is the limit.
but would really like over 450 if poss.

not that i should need it in my car. lol
Old 19-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is meant as NO disrespect to ANYONE, but all this talk of 550bhp out of GT30s is getting a bit ahead of yourselves, as none of these engines have been near a dyno to confirm or deny the figures being bandied about . I just think it is a bit over enthusiastic claiming power figures that are the absolute maximum the turbo can produce. I have seen a GT30 externally gated turbo on the dyno (0.82 a/r) and specced with the best of everything (tubular manifold, Swedish inlet, solid lifters, bla, bla, bla), it made 530bhp.

Now don't get me wrong, I actually totally AGREE with the advice given of a GT30 over a GT35 for 90% of the time, I just think some of the figures claimed shouldn't be (or should be clarified that they are unverified) until proven (but then you KNOW that is just ME, as I say that about everything ).

It would be great if Kelv had his mapped on the dyno, as then that spec of engine could definitely sold as a 5XXbhp conversion , just as Harvey has done so many T34 / T38 engines, that he knows exactly what to do to achieve a gauranteed 400 or 435bhp conversion. These engines when then built up with the same specs, always make the same power +/- 2 to 3 bhp.

As I said, please don't take this as any dig at anyone, but you know how unverified claims are my pet hate .
Old 19-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Mike, do you wear a cream coloured hanky in your right shirt pocket?
Old 19-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

So back on topic, for a spec thats similiar to what Kelv / Yetiboy posted, what sort of ball park figure are you looking at assuming the k for the headwork, and the (corrected from my guestimate) 2k for the turbo / exhaust manifold / wastegate...
Old 19-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
This is meant as NO disrespect to ANYONE, but all this talk of 550bhp out of GT30s is getting a bit ahead of yourselves, as none of these engines have been near a dyno to confirm or deny the figures being bandied about . I just think it is a bit over enthusiastic claiming power figures that are the absolute maximum the turbo can produce. I have seen a GT30 externally gated turbo on the dyno (0.82 a/r) and specced with the best of everything (tubular manifold, Swedish inlet, solid lifters, bla, bla, bla), it made 530bhp.

Now don't get me wrong, I actually totally AGREE with the advice given of a GT30 over a GT35 for 90% of the time, I just think some of the figures claimed shouldn't be (or should be clarified that they are unverified) until proven (but then you KNOW that is just ME, as I say that about everything ).

It would be great if Kelv had his mapped on the dyno, as then that spec of engine could definitely sold as a 5XXbhp conversion , just as Harvey has done so many T34 / T38 engines, that he knows exactly what to do to achieve a gauranteed 400 or 435bhp conversion. These engines when then built up with the same specs, always make the same power +/- 2 to 3 bhp.

As I said, please don't take this as any dig at anyone, but you know how unverified claims are my pet hate .
Mike,

I have never quoted 550hp for a GT30 (for more information check my website!!) and if anything my quoted estimates are always conservative. I sell loads of GT30's & 35's every month and when a potential customer asks for a GT35 I always try and find out if that's really what they need as far too many people chase numbers instead of stepping back and looking at the bigger picture.

Martooooooooooooon.

Quick Reply: 500bhp how much?