General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Making an exhaust............

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an exhaust............

me and paul been thinking of making exhausts for out cars.

obviously both of us want a nice and quiet one for track days,

can someone explain what makes them quiet, but not restrictive???

we were both under the impression of making the exhaust, and adding silencers, but the internal bore of the silencer is ther same ID as the rest of the pipe work, but purely there to absorbe the noise???

is this correct????
Old 16-02-2008, 01:37 PM
MK5RST
Advanced PassionFord User

Yes, its correct, aslong as the bore is the same size through the silencer it shouldnt cause any restriction, the bigger the box, the better the silencing www.jetex.co.uk
Old 16-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

There's loads of small holes in the pipe that goes through the silencer box, and the box itself is filled with sound deadening material.

Is that what you were asking? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick.
Old 16-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

no, thats valueable info
Old 16-02-2008, 04:13 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

genrally,,, the more of them, and the bigger the box, the quieter it gets!

thats to put it simply!

theres only one way to see if the exhaust is quite enough, and that is to simple build one
Old 16-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

cool

building one it is then

as i'm pretty sure i can make one for less than 300

just need to find where to buy boxes now
Old 16-02-2008, 05:31 PM
tracktoy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so how does bore size and tailpipe size affect noise?

if you had a nova and stuck a big back box onto an otherwise std system it makes a lot of noise, even though it still has the same number of boxes as the car was originally intended to have

does a system that has a bigger bore tailpipe than the rest of the system make more noise than a system that is the same diameter all the way through?

i need to know more about exhausts after going to bedford, i failed the static test for the first time ever but passed the drive by after turning the boost down low ( was only running 10psi ) and was too scared to turn it up due to fear of the one strike rule

I have a repackable back box on noddy at the moment- how tight do you pack an exhaust box? - if the box is too tightly packed surely it would be like having a straight through section of pipe?

Just a few questions that have been going round in my head lately
Old 16-02-2008, 06:10 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've just started selling a new Brand from the States called Aero Exhaust, they are used on NASCAR, they are designed with noise limits in mind...

What there website says...

Aero Performance Exhaust is the world leader in performance exhaust airflow technology. The company spent over three years in Research and Design to develop the new Aero Performance Exhaust Muffler technology.

When the incoming exhaust air stream enters the Aero Performance Exhaust it is rapidly expanded and split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a jet engine. The outer air stream accelerates as it recombines with the inner air stream. The recombining of the air streams muffles the exhaust sound and increases the exhaust flow. Thus allowing your engine to breathe easier and dramatically increases your vehicles performance.

The Turbine series as well as the Turbine XL series allows for more efficient combustion to create added power instead of simply dumping more fuel into your engine. Aero Performance Exhaust achieves incredible performance and improved gas mileage while creating the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market.

Most vehicles have extreme restrictions on exhaust airflow, which increases exhaust temperatures and decreases engine longevity. The Aero Performance Exhaust breakthrough, based on thermodynamics and jet engine technology, dramatically reduces the exhaust backpressure, leading to:

Reduced Temperatures
Increased Horsepower
Increased Torque
Increased Fuel Economy
Less Engine Wear & Tear
They are currently being sold in the UK in component form so I can supply pretty much supply everything you need to build your own system.

http://www.aeroexhaust.co.uk/where_to_buy.html
Old 17-02-2008, 11:14 AM
tracktoy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

need more input

upppp
Old 17-02-2008, 11:30 AM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spiky.. have you got a standard 205 exhaust?

I put one back on my car yesterday, and things are way better now..
suuuure the car pulls better mid-range too lol...

probably just me though!

EDIT: they are only 1900 or 2ltr NA.. and the standard pipe has 2.5" (pretty sure) downpipe just about all the way to the middle box.. so they are fairly big
Old 17-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTechR
I've just started selling a new Brand from the States called Aero Exhaust, they are used on NASCAR, they are designed with noise limits in mind...

What there website says...

Aero Performance Exhaust is the world leader in performance exhaust airflow technology. The company spent over three years in Research and Design to develop the new Aero Performance Exhaust Muffler technology.

When the incoming exhaust air stream enters the Aero Performance Exhaust it is rapidly expanded and split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a jet engine. The outer air stream accelerates as it recombines with the inner air stream. The recombining of the air streams muffles the exhaust sound and increases the exhaust flow. Thus allowing your engine to breathe easier and dramatically increases your vehicles performance.

The Turbine series as well as the Turbine XL series allows for more efficient combustion to create added power instead of simply dumping more fuel into your engine. Aero Performance Exhaust achieves incredible performance and improved gas mileage while creating the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market.

Most vehicles have extreme restrictions on exhaust airflow, which increases exhaust temperatures and decreases engine longevity. The Aero Performance Exhaust breakthrough, based on thermodynamics and jet engine technology, dramatically reduces the exhaust backpressure, leading to:

Reduced Temperatures
Increased Horsepower
Increased Torque
Increased Fuel Economy
Less Engine Wear & Tear
They are currently being sold in the UK in component form so I can supply pretty much supply everything you need to build your own system.

http://www.aeroexhaust.co.uk/where_to_buy.html
Id be VERY wary of US performance silencers. Unlike UK ones, VERY few, esp ones designed for n/a V8s, are straight through, far far from it.
So suck for turbo cars.
Old 17-02-2008, 12:05 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Spiky
cool

building one it is then

as i'm pretty sure i can make one for less than 300

just need to find where to buy boxes now
http://www.pipewerx.com/

very helpful bunch - run by ex-Blueflame guys. Speak to them about what you are trying to achieve, see what they reccomend.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pipe-Werx-P...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 17-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spiky theres a few companys that make exhausts out there, i deal with alot of em every day and from my experience boxes may look the same but they can be VERY loud

Bensons are very cheep for exhausts but fuck me they are VERY VERY loud on some applications

Bosal seem to male the quiestest systems but there prices take the piss compared to others out there

even arvin/timax can sound a little loud

exhaust dont use wadding to silence the box as such,, its actually to change the direction of the air to make the noise sound different,,,,,, they work the same way as silencer in a gun, easier to get that discribed in detail to understand them
Old 17-02-2008, 12:53 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stav The Aero Exhaust are already running on both N/A and Turbo applications both sides of the pond with no issues. They come in a range of sizes and are in component form so can be built to what ever spec is required. As spikey originally posted and he is running a N/A car. With 2.5 inch system I fail to see why there would be issues anyway, but I bow to your obvious supperior knowledge

If you care to look at the other companies selling the range in my link you'll see it's not some cheap crap that you buy from billy bedroom.

Totally upto anyone if they choose to but or not too buy, BUT it's documented that the systems do work, and they are quiet which again was a requirement in the original and subsiquent posts...
Old 17-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by pee vee
Spiky.. have you got a standard 205 exhaust?

I put one back on my car yesterday, and things are way better now..
suuuure the car pulls better mid-range too lol...

probably just me though!

EDIT: they are only 1900 or 2ltr NA.. and the standard pipe has 2.5" (pretty sure) downpipe just about all the way to the middle box.. so they are fairly big
yeah i run a std 1.9 exhaust currently,

it's about 2.5 to just before the first box, then it goes down to something like 1.5'ish, so must be restrictive, even though it pulls well and makes average power for the engine.

so i'd like 2.5 most of the way, then maybe 2" to 2.5" exit

but MAX of 95db
Old 17-02-2008, 02:19 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest mate, im really not sure if you need it...

but i would like to be proved wrong,if i'm honest!
because then it'd help me understand a bit more about it all.

EDIT: Spiky, i have a complete longlife system here,
almost the exact spec you are talking about there thats just come off

you can take it away if you want
Old 17-02-2008, 03:24 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

I have always build my own exhaust ststems, and yes the silencers have a LOT of influence on noise AND sound.
The best ones i have tryed until now is simons, and they have both stainless and std steel silencers.
Both are wery good straight flow, and they have a LOT of different sizes to acommedate your needs, and they also last a long time before they collaps(stainless one)
I have build one for my vw passat 1,8Turbo in stainless steel, and with 2 silencers and no cat it still holds the limit at MOT, + it gave me 7bhp/27nm on the rollers.
Flow wise just dont do any 90` bends on ANY exhaust, better with one 45` little pipe then one 45`again, straighten it out as much as possible, then the flow will come by itself