General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

V8 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM
cossie04
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Sierra

Does anyone have any information on how to convert a sierra to a V8 and what parts i`d need, etc. I`ve seen a few and sound awsome but i can`t seem to find much info on it...

Help kindly appreciated

Ed
Old 11-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Might help if you told people what V8 you plan on using mate
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Main ingredients:

Sierra
V8
Gearbox that fits the V8
Old 11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
cossie04

Originally Posted by Porkie
Might help if you told people what V8 you plan on using mate
I`m not sure yet, looking to see what other people have used
Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
cossie04

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Main ingredients:

Sierra
V8
Gearbox that fits the V8
Got the sierra, just need the engine and box, which one, i don`t know.

Rover V8?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rover V8s are shameful pieces of wank that give shit power and cost a fortune to get even shit power from them.

Get a 302 or 351 windsor, fits without too much hastle, uses T5 box (can use cossie t5 box with the correct clutch n bellhousing from real steel), and can get mentalist power from them for fuck all money (ie a full forged stroker kit from the states is under a grand, etc etc).
500bhp+ on stock internals on a 302 if you like with a couple of turbos.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Chip

Predictably, im going to suggest an LS2 and a T56, lol
Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
cossie04

Now that would be cool as fuck but a little out of my price range .

How much would you pick up a decent windsor engine for?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Depends what sort of budget he is on and what he wants to do tuning wise tho I guess.

Id suggest a mega revving 1000bhp methanol fuelled turbo V8 from a Champ Car, but I thought a 250quid running 302W base engine (i got a complete but dissasembled 351W for 50quid!) and an equally cheap gearbox would be enough for most folk, and saves on the price of fuel injection when can get a single carb for 400quid or so thats proven to fuel for 1500bhp+ no bother.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Chip

LS2 is my choice as its good in the longrun, 28-30mpg is hard to turn your nose up at.

But yes it really does depend on the application and budget.

Audi V8 would be aweosme as well, 500 quid, 30mpg, small, reliable, easy to find in this country, thats what I would do if on a budget too small for the ls2
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

LS2 is my choice as its good in the longrun, 28-30mpg is hard to turn your nose up at.

Audi V8 would be aweosme as well, 500 quid, 30mpg, small, reliable, easy to find in this country, thats what I would do if on a budget too small for the ls2
Something tells me that a V8 Sierra isnt a daily driver.

And an Audi V8 will be a shitload more expensive overall once you consider you got to make some sort of gearbox fit, electronics, etc etc etc...
Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stavros

Something tells me that a V8 Sierra isnt a daily driver.

And an Audi V8 will be a shitload more expensive overall once you consider you got to make some sort of gearbox fit etc etc etc...

Well, lexus V8 is essentially the same thing as the audi and can be more easily fitted up to a readily available box.

either way, I would want:
Fuel injection
ally block

And only my budget would choose which one I went for TBH

Pretty simple getting a T5 bellhousing made to fit any box you want luckily, thats one good thing if going for a moderate power V8 anyway, audi or whatever.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM
cossie04

At the moment, the windsor engine sounds good as does the T5 box that fits, but how hard would it be to get it in my sierra? And how much is a windsor engine worth?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Chip

Fitting the actual engine is relatively easy, its clearance for the exhaust etc that you will struggle on.

Which is a good reason to go for a compact v8 in the first place from a european or jap car, as some of the yank stuff is massive.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

You clearly dont realise how small and light a Windsor V8 is if you think its any bigger than an Audi or Lexus V8 or massivley heavier once you got alloy heads on it.

What bellhousing/box is available to fit a Audi V8 in RWD form then? I dont think ive ever seen any?

There tons of Lexus ones, tho, they cost a LOT of money for what they are (expensive manual boxes too, Supra ones), wheras T5 boxes and the appropriate parts cost fuck all for a Windsor.

Im just trying to give sensible achievable results with a base in reality and proven stuff, as nothings ever as easy as it seems when typing it on the net.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
cossie04

Wheres the best place to look for a windsor engine?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Chip

You clearly dont realise how small and light a Windsor V8 is if you think its any bigger than an Audi or Lexus V8 or massivley heavier once you got alloy heads on it.

What bellhousing/box is available to fit a Audi V8 in RWD form then? I dont think ive ever seen any?

There tons of Lexus ones, tho, they cost a LOT of money for what they are (expensive manual boxes too, Supra ones), wheras T5 boxes and the appropriate parts cost fuck all for a Windsor.

Im just trying to give sensible achievable results with a base in reality and proven stuff, as nothings ever as easy as it seems when typing it on the net.

Im aware of the rough sizes of the windsor, I was commenting on why I wouldnt consider a BBC or similar.

I still dont like the windsor on the basis of carb and iron block, but given that he hasnt said what he wants it for, that might not be a problem anyway of course.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Seeing as a 302W with ally heads is no heavier than a Ford V6 or Nissan 6cyl, id not say its exactly gonna fuck a cars handling, so there no issue with it being a strong Iron block.

Can have fuel injection if you like, my 302W was a fuel injection engine when I got it, but its much cheaper to go carb on any engine, Windsor, LS, anything.

V6EDC-

How far you want to go with it?

Ive got a complete 351W in bits here you could buy, but needs a full built, boreing, re-grinding, new core plugs, etc etc.
Also got a Trickflow Box-R manifold and plenum for a 351W, Aeromotive fuel rails, injectors, 80mm throttle body, etc etc.

TBH if you buy the aftermarket bits id throw in the engine for nothing, lol.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
cossie04

TBH, i`m looking to do it on a budget and do what i can myself. The closest i`ve done is a 24v cosworth and found that ok. Don`t want mega power, just something fairly simple with a bit of grunt really
Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by V6 EDC
TBH, i`m looking to do it on a budget and do what i can myself. The closest i`ve done is a 24v cosworth and found that ok. Don`t want mega power, just something fairly simple with a bit of grunt really

The windsor steve mentions sounds ideal then
Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
cossie04

V6EDC-

How far you want to go with it?

Ive got a complete 351W in bits here you could buy, but needs a full built, boreing, re-grinding, new core plugs, etc etc.
Also got a Trickflow Box-R manifold and plenum for a 351W, Aeromotive fuel rails, injectors, 80mm throttle body, etc etc.

TBH if you buy the aftermarket bits id throw in the engine for nothing, lol.
I don`t really know about building engines that much , mainly swapping them
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Chip

PS

Rover V8 is also ideal to build one form if its a "just because" type project rather than for a particuarly hardcore end result.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Get a second hand 302W for a few hundred quid and add a few simple bolt on mods if you only want 300bhp or so I reckon mate. At that sort of low power it will rev ok without shitting itself too easy as well.
Personally id turbo it, as they love that, but depends what you wanna do.

On the other subject, regardless of budget personally id always go Windsor or similar, parts are unbelivably widely available and massivley massivley cheaper, and a grand will get you a block happy to take 1500bhp+, another grand will get you the full internals to take the same power, and another grand will get you some flashy alloy heads good for the same.

On the Rover subject- Massive amounts of tuning and you still only end up with a genuine 200bhp, they suck ball and the factory power claims are miles out.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
cossie04

PS

Rover V8 is also ideal to build one form if its a "just because" type project rather than for a particuarly hardcore end result.
As long as it`s not too slow, and easy to fit then i`m all for it. As you say, its a "just because" project, mainly because i`m new to V8 engines and want the expierence.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Chip

Stavros, Personally I would prefer 30mpg, 500bhp, all for a few grand, which is easy to do with the lexus one, but as I said, it depends on your application, ive just got those in my mind as its an option im considering for my own car, could fund it just by selling the YB and ascociated bits I reckon.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Chip

PS

As long as it`s not too slow, and easy to fit then i`m all for it. As you say, its a "just because" project, mainly because i`m new to V8 engines and want the expierence.
TBH mate, its barely any better than the cossie V6 you have already done, unless you start modifying the engine.

some of the TVR derivatives are ok out of the box, but are dearer of course.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM
cossie04

Get a second hand 302W for a few hundred quid and add a few simple bolt on mods if you only want 300bhp or so I reckon mate. At that sort of low power it will rev ok without shitting itself too easy as well.
Personally id turbo it, as they love that, but depends what you wanna do.
That sounds good to me.

How would i mount it tho, would i need to fabricate engine mounts, will it hit the standard cross member?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Stavros, Personally I would prefer 30mpg, 500bhp, all for a few grand, which is easy to do with the lexus one
Hows that, i mean what and how much? I see loads of people getting excited about how great the Lexus V8s are, and bugger all really to show for it barring expensive V8 converisons giving not that amazing power.

500bhp could be got from a 302W for under a grand without too much bother, and the suitable transmission the same again.

If fuel economy mattered a toss you shouldnt own a V8, maybe a Prius.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Chip

You will need to fabricate mounts whatever you do.

Best bet initially is probably to get a spare rwd crossmember, and set about fitting it up to that while the engine is on a stand.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

How would i mount it tho, would i need to fabricate engine mounts, will it hit the standard cross member?
Id mount it how Ford did personally.

Used to be off the shelf mounts available in the UK, think there still is in the USA.

Wont hit crossmember as thankfully Windsors are THE most tuneable engine ever and can get hundreds of different sumps, standard and aftermarket, with the hump in the front, rear, or both.

Front ARB needs modding/removing IIRC. "Doh" on here has a 302W in his XR4i.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM
cossie04

Would Ł1000 budget be big enough or maybe more?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Chip

Stavros, Personally I would prefer 30mpg, 500bhp, all for a few grand, which is easy to do with the lexus one
Hows that, i mean what and how much? I see loads of people getting excited about how great the Lexus V8s are, and bugger all really to show for it barring expensive V8 converisons giving not that amazing power.

500bhp could be got from a 302W for under a grand without too much bother, and the suitable transmission the same again.

If fuel economy mattered a toss you shouldnt own a V8, maybe a Prius.

Fuel economy matters to me cause im not rich and I drive a lot of miles.

Lexus v8 works well with forced induction, have a chat to someone who has done it, must be someone knocking around in drifting that you know or something?

1000bhp from one isnt especially difficult either in the grand scheme of things.

Fella I was chatting to at the ring last year had 900bhp or so from his, and had driven there from norway with no drama getting decent fuel economy.

surprisingly capable engines, although I agree anything yank is more well catered for in terms of easy power upgrades providing you dont mind single figure fuel economy from some wanky bucket carb that hoses loads of fuel in.

For this fella though, economy doesnt sound a big deal, so im sure the yank route will be fine, its just not what I was looking into doing personally.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Chip-
I didnt ask that, I simply asked how you get a running/fitted Lexus V8 with transmission and 500bhp for a few grand. Ive never seen or heard of one, just lots of claims.

V6-
Depends how much you can do yourself and what mods you wanna do.
If you were totally budget spec and did all the work yourself (inc welding no doubt) i bet you could fit a stock one for that, probably fit new gaskets/rings/bearings to it at same time too (all that only will add up to about 150quid in parts anyhow, lol).
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Chip

You will need to fabricate mounts whatever you do.

Best bet initially is probably to get a spare rwd crossmember, and set about fitting it up to that while the engine is on a stand.

Used to be off the shelf mounts available in the UK, think there still is in the USA.

I stand corrected

Definately a good option if you can still find the mounts for it and clearances are known at that position etc
Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

as above, you need to fab up some engine mounts, exhaust headers, get the correct combination of clutch/gearbox/bellhousing/fork... make a custom throttle linkage and clutch cable, move the rad forward and make a custom prop shaft, then its just the little things, fuel supply, speedo drive etc...

oh and you need the double hump sump & pickup from a fox body mustang to clear the x-member... oh and the ARB wont clear the bellhousing so this will require spacing down and back
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

PS, even with a 1000bhp capable turbo a 302W fits in a Sierra bay no bother...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Chip

Does it still fit in a RHD one?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Doh
as above, you need to fab up some engine mounts,
Steve just said they are available off the shelf, so why would you need to fab them?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Why wouldnt it fit? LHD or RHD?

Mounts are available. Not 100% where from mind anymore, but they are.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
cossie04

Going to start looking for one i think, any idea where to start?

Quick Reply: V8 Sierra