General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Golf GT TDI buying guide/advice..

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2008, 10:05 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh £110 for the year
Old 26-02-2008, 12:28 PM
PSL

I own one which funnily will be up for sale in a few weeks, I'm only selling due to starting a new job with a company that is insisting I have a new company car.

I use the car 5 days a week and it is faultless. Since starting my new job I haven't really touched a motorway and I'm still averaging 48MPG. With combined motorway driving it's always up about 53MPG.

The driving position is great, the seats are comfortable and they come with all the mod cons of an executive car plus they have a huge boot. A great feature of these cars is the longlife service too meaning the car can be serviced at 20,000 mile intervals or 2 years, whichever comes sooner.

Mine's an 03 plate, is metallic silver, has climate control, FSH and is just approaching 50k miles. 12 months MOT, 6 months tax and does not need to be serviced for another 10,000 miles. I've seen other's with a lesser spec and more miles for £8k which is what I will be looking for mine. PM me for details if you are interested. Will not be for sale for approx 4 weeks though
Old 26-02-2008, 12:51 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Thanks for that fella, but mar_k on here put me onto the advert on the 'other' forum and its a 3 door im after im afraid.

Thanks all the same though!
Old 26-02-2008, 01:21 PM
MAD matt-sab
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Thumbs up

very good thread this esp as we are looking for 1 too.
been to see a 110 hp gti td,was ok but not quick by any means 96K miler
i have been told the newer pd engines are much better.
stu....... the rfemap figures you quote same/similar to same engine passat's ?
interested as we are now looking at the both as you get more car etc for your money with the passat.
thanks matt.
Old 26-02-2008, 01:38 PM
RS SHORTIE
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by MAD matt-sab
very good thread this esp as we are looking for 1 too.
been to see a 110 hp gti td,was ok but not quick by any means 96K miler
i have been told the newer pd engines are much better.
stu....... the rfemap figures you quote same/similar to same engine passat's ?
interested as we are now looking at the both as you get more car etc for your money with the passat.
thanks matt.
The bora's are worth a look to,same specs as the golf but alot cheaper
Old 26-02-2008, 03:29 PM
MAD matt-sab
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

true i have looked at a few but the mrs dont like the shape
and if i go passat i will go estate with the dogs we got
thanks though and sound advice
Old 26-02-2008, 03:32 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Matt: As far as i know, the 90 and 110 horsepower cars arent the PD engine, which is the one to have apparently, they dont have a 6 speed box either.

Im even pickier than you guys, its got to be a golf, and im ideally after a silver 3 door!
Old 26-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
One thing I would like to say to you, dont believe all these 'rapid, super fast comments'
My Ibiza is approx 240bhp and 400lb/ft and its pretty quick for a diesel and can keep up with most hot hatches til the 100 mark. But anyone saying a diesel golf (or anything for that matter) needs to get out and drive some more cars.

They are ideal everyday cars with reasonable in gear performance and good fuel consumption. But a petrol car with similar power will always ultimately be quicker.

As for keeping up with an R32, unless its a Skyline, is not very impressive. They are dog slow for what they are
Your comment is a bit irrelavent. Its obvious a diesel will not have a good top speed as most of them redline at 5000RPM (including the gt tdi). The 6 speed box is not to increase top speed, its to lower the engine rpm when on the motorway.

100mph, come on mate. Ok we all edge over the speed limit sometimes, but if your getting to 100mph, you should be on a track not the road.

On normal road conditions even to 80mph the gt tdi, will keep up with the majority. And as a daily driver, taking into account mpg, acceleration, reliability it really is a good and quick car!
Old 26-02-2008, 08:17 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
Your comment is a bit irrelavent. Its obvious a diesel will not have a good top speed as most of them redline at 5000RPM (including the gt tdi). The 6 speed box is not to increase top speed, its to lower the engine rpm when on the motorway.

100mph, come on mate. Ok we all edge over the speed limit sometimes, but if your getting to 100mph, you should be on a track not the road.

On normal road conditions even to 80mph the gt tdi, will keep up with the majority. And as a daily driver, taking into account mpg, acceleration, reliability it really is a good and quick car!
How can my comment be irrelevant. Everyone is telling him that they are 'rapid, superfast'.
And as for not having a good top speed, then what are you talking about? The top speed of them is as good as many other cars of the same ilk.

I regularly do drive on track, and compete in hill climbs and sprints. That is why I did say that the Ibiza is my daily driver. I also never said anywhere that I personally get to 100mph on the road. You'll notice that I said the car can keep up with other hot hatches to 100mph. As for edging over the speed limit, get a grip. BY the end of this week, I'll have done another 3k miles or so in the car, a lot of it on the motorway and I'll be doing 80 and getting passed by plenty of people doing 100mph or more.

On normal road conditions, to 80mph, the GT tdi will get beaten by any petrol car with similar power. And yes as a daily driver they are perfect (why I have one), but as a 'rapid, superfast' sports car as previously described by others, it falls way short of the mark.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:28 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by stu da rude
Yeah, i appreciate that mate, ive got a reasonably quick road legal track car aswell so im not buying it for that aspect, its just nice to know that performance and economy are available, and what peoples opinions of them are i suppose.

Ive since found out they're cheap tax too! Happy days! :thumbs:
i have a SEAT leon, basically a golf four, but much better in size and looks imo, has nearly 80 k on the clock and is the 130hp version, MSD have remapped it and i gained roughly 5 mpg on average, and the drivability is so much better, but you pay the premium for the SEAT version as much if not more that the VW, a 53 plate with 45k on the clock will set you back near 8k at dealer level.
Old 26-02-2008, 11:15 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I went in one of these cars today on a handling circuit at Bruntingthorpe, being driven by a certain Mr Don Palmer http://www.donpalmer.co.uk , wow, I'm going to be getting on as soon as I can, speachless.
Old 27-02-2008, 12:32 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

HELP!!!!!

115 spec cars seem to be a fair bit cheaper than 130's, and given that Stu @ MSD can remap a 115 to 140ish is it worth buying a lower mileage 115 car and getting it chipped, or getting a 130..

Other than the horsepower difference, what else is there? The only thing i could find is the front brakes are 3mm bigger or something silly.. BUT, if the 130 is better specced, be it trim, brakes, box etc id like to know!

HELP!
Old 28-02-2008, 07:16 AM
OldSkoolRS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

130 usually has a better spec:
climate, most have winter pack etc.

AFAIK the 130 is a pd and the 115 isn't.
Old 28-02-2008, 08:30 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Ah.. I thought the 115, 130, and 150 were PD, and the 90 and 110 werent?
Old 28-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Bobby Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

115 are PD engines -

115hp and the 130hp both have smallish intercoolers but the 150's have a front mounted i/c. From what i can remember the main difference between 115 and 130 is the turbo and maybe the injectors.

Passat engines are the same therefore power increases will be the same
Old 28-02-2008, 08:50 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

So no trim/equipment difference?