General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TPS- Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS- Throttle Position Sensor

Have just fitted a 65mm TB today and had EML light come on. Scanned and got Throttle Position Sensor out of range and low input.

To sum up: TPS is stuffed isn't it?

However, I just read in Haynes that rotating it damages it so I presuming thats why it got messed up in the first place. Car is a bit lumpy/hesitant as expected with a disfunctional TPS.

When I put the new one on it should cure the problem shouldn't it? And also any tips for putting it on and NOT stuffing this one up?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Wardy257
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 65mm TB will casue more trouble than it is worth Take it back off, job done!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:09 AM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as youve got the correct tps sensor for tb and got it set up properly it shouldnt cause any problems??
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What car?

Did you use the existing TPS, or one that came with the new TB?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Used TPS on my TB as the 65mm TB did not come with its own TPS. I wasn't aware that they have their own TPS but the new throttle body has 3 different mounting positions for the TPS so that you can achieve the right travel (hopefully).

If worst comes to the worst I'm going to take it off again. The throttle certainly feels more alive and car has a deeper roar at WOT since its a larger TB. Also pops and bangs a lot more now. But if the TPS issue isn't resolved its coming off

Car in sig, 1.8 Zetec E focus
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Chip

What car is it on?

Providing the TPS is set in the right position, I dont see why you would have a problem, the TB is still handed the same way is it? as obviously if its handed back to front you will now be showing WOT when at rest and zero throttle when its nailed.

Pics of both would be useful, or at least some slight clues about what car its from or what TB it is, as its kind of hard to make any useful suggestions while you are keeping that sort of thing secret despite beign asked about it
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
What car is it on?

Providing the TPS is set in the right position, I dont see why you would have a problem, the TB is still handed the same way is it? as obviously if its handed back to front you will now be showing WOT when at rest and zero throttle when its nailed.

Pics of both would be useful, or at least some slight clues about what car its from or what TB it is, as its kind of hard to make any useful suggestions while you are keeping that sort of thing secret despite beign asked about it
Originally Posted by pani_k
Used TPS on my TB as the 65mm TB did not come with its own TPS. I wasn't aware that they have their own TPS but the new throttle body has 3 different mounting positions for the TPS so that you can achieve the right travel (hopefully).

If worst comes to the worst I'm going to take it off again. The throttle certainly feels more alive and car has a deeper roar at WOT since its a larger TB. Also pops and bangs a lot more now. But if the TPS issue isn't resolved its coming off

Car in sig, 1.8 Zetec E focus
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Chip

It didnt say that when I replied

Anyway, lets see both the before and after TB please, as like I said, if they are handed differently it will read back to front.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I'll try and get some pics up but I didn't mention before the car was on a scanner when the MIL light came on for the error codes and went into diagnostics and the TPS was correctly identifying C/T, P/T and WOT. The reference voltage was also correct, around 0.5V at idle and 4.6V at WOT which is about right. The throttle body is made particularly for the focus zetec engine 1.8 and 2.0 which are both in essence exactly the same engine bar the displacement and a few other things. same head, throttle body, inlet etc etc.

Because of the correctly identified positions of c/t, p/t and WOT I am assuming its just the TPS needs changing but I do have a slight doubt that it cannot see the full range of travel that is why it is throwing up out of range since the TB will not allow it to be mounted properly, in which case the 65mm TB is coming off.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
steve7786

Did you mount the tps in the right place on the throttle body? I remember there being 3 different places it could go in to. Have a look on the US focus forums for any help with it.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

yes there are 3 different position as I said above and I am sure that the mechanic I did it with, did it correctly. Another mechanic also came and had a look and said it was in the correct position also so I am sure of that.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Chip

If its correctly identifying closed throttle, then it shouldnt bring the light on at idle, irrelevant of anything else.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
steve7786

Could be worth while making sure the tps plug is firmly in place. If it was me i'd take it off and start again. I'm 99% sure there is a fair bit of info on the ffoc too. I had no problems come up when i first fitted mine. Let us know how you get on.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

well i've put a request for a TPS from Allen Fords so when that is confirmed I shall be ordering.

If it still throws up the same fault after a new TPS fitting then I may consider to look into it more, if not then the old TB is going back on.