General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
joshF
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum

how do i go about setting up my own one?

what do you think makes a succesfull forum?

for those of you that was here when this one first started how long was it before it took off

cheers
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Download the PHP software and upload it to some cheap hosting.

The thing that makes a forum a good one, is offering something that isnt available elsewhere.

So in this case, the amount of expert input from Stu@MSD and other tuners is what made it a success.

If you just want to run a forum for the sake of it, it will probably be shit TBH
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Download InvisionFree and you don't have to bother finding somewhere to host it.

http://invisionfree.com/
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First lesson: be prepared for months and months and months of little or no posts/people joining up.
As Chip said, you need to cover something unique that already doesnt have a dozen established sites already running.
Even then, you will still struggle to get traffic to it for along time.

For example, starting up a new forum for RS Fords.
Obviously there are already a fair few forums already running, so how would you go about tempting people to come and use yours that is better than the one they are already using?
You may get people sign up, post afew things but it usually tails off cause they are still on the more established one.

If your forum is based on something with a very small audience, for example a single model of car that is rare (Eg Cav Turbo forum, only 5000 or so made, so userbase is always going to be small) expect it to never really get busy on a big scale
Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I have joined and instantly left many forums as I thought I was in jail, rules are good and obviously needed, but don't take the piss.

'If you edit your post a valid reason must be sent to the admin with 24 hours or you may be banned'.

I once seen something like above on a forum, I was quick to leave.

Good luck, Benni.