General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

my cat has been hit by a car :( (HES HOME!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2008, 09:17 AM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cat has been hit by a car :( (HES HOME!!!!)

happend last night...

had a decent day yesterday, picked up my alloys which i was chuffed with and then went go karting with loads of mates had a right laff...

and when i got the the girlfriends i had a fone call saying my cat had been hit by a car..

someone found him crying in the road, driver didnt stop!!!!!

hes at the vets now, took him last night at 12am... think hes broke his back legs and got a nasty bang to his head!

realy hope he gets better as he means the world to me!!

he was only 1 the other week! still only a baby!

heres a pic when we first got him..names zeb (zebedee)

realy cant belive someone could drive off!!! if i find out who it was there fucked!!!!!!! il run them over and leave them in the road screaming!!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 09:18 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

sorry to hear that mate.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Awww Poor little thing

Hope he's ok
Old 18-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats awful. We love cats, but sadly they aren't always very sharp when it comes to crossing the road. We've lost 2 on the roads, but luckily (and I mean that in the sense that I wouldn't have wanted them to suffer) they were both killed outright, but it still really really breaks your heart.

Hope your little man will be OK. Fingers crossed for him.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:23 AM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

love cats. hope hes ok

dave
Old 18-01-2008, 09:23 AM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

having his xrays done later to see whats what...

duno what id do if somthing happend!
Old 18-01-2008, 09:25 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd hate to have this happen to a pet..

hope he will be ok.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

bad news mate, hope hes ok.

our cat was run over in sept, just turned 2 and again driver didnt stop, was about 4 doors down from us too.

little fella died tho after crawling about 10 foot off the road
Old 18-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful looking cat. At least he's still alive, it could have been much worse. I can never understand anyone driving off unless they just didn't see it

My Nan had one that looked like that and he was also called Zeb because he used to bounce around.

Hopefully he'll be alright soon.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

All these cats, they could be kept indoors if they are pets then they wouldn't get run over.
No point in getting pissed with the driver.

These things happen all to frequently.

I would like to know what to do if you driver went back and there was an injured cat that you had no idea who the owner was. They rarely have collars with tags with an address or tel number.

Fookin big Great Dane ran infront of my car years ago late at night , along an unlit lane. People were walking it along the verge and it ran out right infront of my car (i was going about 50mph). They fook off with a virtualy dead dog (crying and all that bullshit), and leave me with bust bumper, crossmember, radiator and smashed windscreen. When i went to see them the following day to sort out paying for all the damage that they/dog had caused all i got was abuse and told to fook off. Cost me about Ł700. Assholes
Old 18-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey...at least the little fella is alive, thats very lucky after being hit by a car!!

lets hope he makes a full recovery and doesent cost you too much in vets bills!!
Old 18-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Ridge
All these cats, they could be kept indoors if they are pets then they wouldn't get run over.
No point in getting pissed with the driver.

These things happen all to frequently.

I would like to know what to do if you driver went back and there was an injured cat that you had no idea who the owner was. They rarely have collars with tags with an address or tel number.

Fookin big Great Dane ran infront of my car years ago late at night , along an unlit lane. People were walking it along the verge and it ran out right infront of my car (i was going about 50mph). They fook off with a virtualy dead dog (crying and all that bullshit), and leave me with bust bumper, crossmember, radiator and smashed windscreen. When i went to see them the following day to sort out paying for all the damage that they/dog had caused all i got was abuse and told to fook off. Cost me about Ł700. Assholes
I can understand your bitterness.... but car bits can be replaced and repaired, an animals life cant! And im damn sure the vets bill would of cost a hell of a lot more than what your car did to repair!

Bonus boy - Fingers crossed the little fella will be ok.... pets are like family members.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:22 AM
RSrussell
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't like cats tbh

I think they should be kept on leads like dogs!
Old 18-01-2008, 10:27 AM
wayne thomas
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maria
pets are like family members.
errrrrrrrrrrr no!!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Old 18-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by wayne thomas
errrrrrrrrrrr no!!!!
Youre entitled to your own opinion fella, But whenever i have had a dog or a cat, they become a member of my extended family.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:38 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

errrrrrrrrrrr no!!!!
Youre entitled to your own opinion fella, But whenever i have had a dog or a cat, they become a member of my extended family.
couldnt agree more, my dog talks more sense than the rest of my family

you dont legally have to stop if you hit a cat though do you? i know you do if its a dog.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:41 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

The only animal I have hit whilst driving is a cat

Saw it run out from underneath a parked car on the other side of the road, slammed on the brakes but heard him go under

Got out the car right away and the poor thing was lying there with it's mouth open shaking, owner must have heard and came out, said "I knew this would happen one day" picked cat up and went inside, left me standing there feeling proper useless all I could do was apologise although it wasnt my fault

I felt awful for days... And if I hadn't forgotten my wallet it might not have happened

Hope your cat pulls through
Old 18-01-2008, 10:41 AM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by fraser9764
you dont legally have to stop if you hit a cat though do you? i know you do if its a dog.
Yup.

And if the owner let the dog go & play around the road and if the car hit the dog - the dog owner would have to pay for any repairs toward the car.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

No you dont have to stop if you hit a cat.

Unfortunately it is an all too common occurance as cats bimble about as and where they please. At least with (most) dogs they are on a lead, or being supervised by someone.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

maria
Doub't very much it costs Ł700 to have a dog put down.

The point is pets should be kept under control. And as far as i'm concerned cats are included in that.

Uncontrolled pets can cause accidents, not just on the road either.
I was slightly pissed off when my 4 yr old came to me saying there was a funny smell when she was playing on OUR frount garden. Why...because she had stood in a load of cat shit (i know it was cat shit cos of the god awful smell and the next door neighbours cat is always mooching about), shit all over her shoes and the bottom of her trousers.[/quote]
Old 18-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by fraser9764
errrrrrrrrrrr no!!!!
couldnt agree more, my dog talks more sense than the rest of my family

Legal or not, it's morally wrong not to stop and at least look/see if there's a tag on the collar and call the owner. I know it's hard for alot of people to consider, but I can't tell you how much harder it would have been if the cats that I have lost to the roads would be been flattened. Luckily one had been moved off the road and I was called and I practically saw the other one happen, so could deal with it before any other cars passed.

Whether people agree or disagree, for pet lovers (whether its dogs/cats/ferrets/parrots or whatever), they do become part of your family and it's heartbreaking when anything happens.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

maria

The point is pets should be kept under control. And as far as i'm concerned cats are included in that.

I was slightly pissed off when my 4 yr old came to me saying there was a funny smell when she was playing on OUR frount garden. Why...because she had stood in a load of cat shit (i know it was cat shit cos of the god awful smell and the next door neighbours cat is always mooching about), shit all over her shoes and the bottom of her trousers.
[/quote]

Youre right it doesnt cost Ł700 to have a dog put to sleep, BUT if the owners have taken the dog to the vets, and it was able to be brought back so it had a good standard of living, the vets fees for medication, possibly repairing broken limbs, antibiotics, IV drugs, and vets time would almost certainly have come to more than Ł700. And i think you mentioned it was a Great Dane? For a dog that size, Euthanasia would certainly have been almost Ł400... so not far off.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

maria

I was slightly pissed off when my 4 yr old came to me saying there was a funny smell when she was playing on OUR frount garden. Why...because she had stood in a load of cat shit (i know it was cat shit cos of the god awful smell and the next door neighbours cat is always mooching about), shit all over her shoes and the bottom of her trousers.
Let's not start the cat-shit debate in this thread. Remember the thread was started by someone that is heartbroken as his cat has been knocked down. HE IS HEARTBROKEN, it's not for you or anyone else to say whats right or wrong.

So, if you should keep cats under control (they are legally free-roaming animals), what about Deer/Birds/Pheasants etc? You hit one, who is paying?
Old 18-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Also, if someone knocked on my door saying they had knocked my cat down, should I be pursuing them for vets bills? Remember my cat has as much right to be there as the car.

However, the answer is 'no', I'd be grateful that they had the decency to come and tell me.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:52 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Legal or not, it's morally wrong not to stop and at least look/see if there's a tag on the collar and call the owner. I know it's hard for alot of people to consider, but I can't tell you how much harder it would have been if the cats that I have lost to the roads would be been flattened. Luckily one had been moved off the road and I was called and I practically saw the other one happen, so could deal with it before any other cars passed.

Whether people agree or disagree, for pet lovers (whether its dogs/cats/ferrets/parrots or whatever), they do become part of your family and it's heartbreaking when anything happens.
sorry, that probably sounded worse that it should have done. i know it is morraly wrong, and if i hit a cat, i couldnt just drive off, i was just wondering what the legalities were.

hope your catis O.K bonus_boy
Old 18-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Bungle
Advanced PassionFord User

Hope he makes a full recovery mate, I have to admit i hit a cat once and i was an 18 year old arrogant boy racer i was speeding and the cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time, However i stopped put the cat in the car and took it to the vets and left my phone number, A week later i get a call from the owner thanking me for taking there cat to the vets and that the cat will recover

I explained that i was speeding etc and would cover any costs but they said the money wasn't a problem they were just happy the cat would be ok,

Really cant understand why people dont stop though
Old 18-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Also, if someone knocked on my door saying they had knocked my cat down, should I be pursuing them for vets bills? Remember my cat has as much right to be there as the car.

However, the answer is 'no', I'd be grateful that they had the decency to come and tell me.
thats fair play

sorry to hear about your cat mate hope he gets on the mend quick
Old 18-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When you take on pets YOU take on responsibility. Why should a cat be any different.

What a load of shite saying your cat has the same right to be in the road as a car.

If a dog mauls a child, the owner is responsible no question. But you seem to think that a cat can do what it like where ever it like and thats that. Poor attitude.
[/quote]
Old 18-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Dave Ridge I think youre the one with the poor attitude personally...... but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

When you take on pets YOU take on responsibility. Why should a cat be any different.

What a load of shite saying your cat has the same right to be in the road as a car.

If a dog mauls a child, the owner is responsible no question. But you seem to think that a cat can do what it like where ever it like and thats that. Poor attitude.
It can, do you not understand the term 'free-roaming'? A cat is free-roaming. A dog isn't. Full-stop. Free-roaming doesn't mean 'anywhere except on a road'. Accidents do happen, but often, unless the car was speeding, the cat would be out of the way in time. Not always, but it is possible.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I think you need to take your bitterness somewhere else.

I know we all have different opinions etc but on this thread it not the place to put them IMO.

The guy came on here saying his cat has been run over, he dont want or need to read some bitter twat going on and on

Anyway as i said above earlier, Hope Zeb gets better soon.

Btw thats a cute photo of him
Old 18-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I hope your cat gets better mate, I really do. I have two cats and I would be heartbroken if anything happend to them. I really wouldn't know what to do with myself, I would want the world to swallow me up.

My smallest cat Clio follows me when I walk my dog, and last week I got to the end of my road and she was just climbing onto the parcel shelf. She is scared of nothing, she now waits under my car and when anything, and I mean anything goes past he jumps out and attacks them.

Keep us updated mate, Benni.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 18-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by RS Bungle
Hope he makes a full recovery mate, I have to admit i hit a cat once and i was an 18 year old arrogant boy racer i was speeding and the cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time, However i stopped put the cat in the car and took it to the vets and left my phone number, A week later i get a call from the owner thanking me for taking there cat to the vets and that the cat will recover

I explained that i was speeding etc and would cover any costs but they said the money wasn't a problem they were just happy the cat would be ok,

Really cant understand why people dont stop though
That was very decent of you mate, I think if you did this for my cat even though you was speeding, if she made a full recovery I would be in your debt forever. How someone can drive off knowing there is a animal in pain I do not know.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:13 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I imagine why some people wouldn't stop if they hit a cat is the potential abuse they 'could' receive from the owner. Fair enough some owners will think it was decent of you etc to stop and try and sort things but your always going to get the arrogant owner blaming you for doing it, your driving to fast etc etc expecting you to cover vets costs etc - which a lot of drivers wouldn't be bothered to deal with the aggro so just carry on.

I personally cant stand cats (100% dog person!) but hope your little one recovers .

Chris
Old 18-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by cfoster
I imagine why some people wouldn't stop if they hit a cat is the potential abuse they 'could' receive from the owner. Fair enough some owners will think it was decent of you etc to stop and try and sort things but your always going to get the arrogant owner blaming you for doing it, your driving to fast etc etc expecting you to cover vets costs etc - which a lot of drivers wouldn't be bothered to deal with the aggro so just carry on.

I personally cant stand cats (100% dog person!) but hope your little one recovers .

Chris
I wouldn't care what the owner thought of me, I would have the cats best interest at heart. Remember, RS Bungle did a good job of it, taking it the vets with a note.

Benni.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:22 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all people are like that fella, way of the world an' all that. If you took it to a vets etc who would be liable for fees if the owner couldnt be traced (serious question)?

Chris
Old 18-01-2008, 11:24 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ffs!!! Gotta love passionford!

Any news on Zeb mate?
Old 18-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Hope your kitty makes a full recovery and quickly.

Cats are so damn quick when they launch themselves across a road and the person who knocked it down might have not even been aware of hitting it, as Zeb is a predominately dark cat and wouldn't have been seen in the dark.

Quick Reply: my cat has been hit by a car :( (HES HOME!!!!)