General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cashing a cheque

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cashing a cheque

I've got a scummy tenant who i've just about ran out of patience with. She's always got an excuse about the rent and i've send her plenty of letters emphasising how she has to pay on time etc. I told her if she wants to pay by cheque (which she prefers cos she can stall on em) i have to receive the cheque with enough time for it to clear by the payment due date. First cheque after this letter arrived on payment due date, not b4 as requested
Month after that it got lost in the post
So i told her to post a cheque for both months thru my mates door in her road (then no more lost cheques in post) and i wouldn't cash them until the 14th, which is teh date i should have payment by. I asked her to do it 'today' so i cld pick it up when i was there 'tomorrow'. No cheque arrived. Anyway, after 2 days of chasing her up she finally posted the cheque thru the door.

So to take the piss she's dated teh cheque the 14th, so i cant put it in before then

My question's are:
1. what does cash a cheque mean? If i put a cheque in my bank which takes 3 days to clear then is it cashed on the 11th or 14th? When does the money leave her acount, the 11th or teh 14th? I told her i wldn't cash it until the 14th but i can't now put it into the bank until the 14th

2. Is she taking the piss
Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I accidently put a chq in the bank about 3 weeks b4 it was dated and it bounced on the bloke and he got charged for bouncing the chq, so it can be banked b4 the date on the chq but won't clear if the funds arn't there
Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 AM
lardypants
Banned

kick her out end of contract thats what id do, or try to revise to a direct debit tell her cheques are no longer acceptable either cash or direct debit
Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

It depends, if you bank with the same company it can be in your account the next day.
IF you cash it in say 2moro, it will come up on your statements as being paid in but wont be on your available balance till the 3 days is up and will leave her account on the 3rd day. - well thats what ive found anyway lol
Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the money normally leaves the aount on the day it's banked, and ends up in your accuont 3 days later

the banks effectivly "earn instrest" on 3 days worth of your money

the coonts

tell her that, under the terms of her tennancy, she needs to have paid you by the 14th, writing you a cheque that you can only bank on the 14th which doens't actually clear until the 17th doens't count, and if the 14th falls on a weekend then that's another 1 or 2 days where she's not actually fullfilled her tennancy terms

in future she can either give you a cheque on the 11th so that it can be cleared by the 14th or she can pay you in cash or by direct bank transfer/debit otherwise you will have no option but to look for tennants who pay you on time and don't dither about a few days

you have already taken a knock on one month so if it happens again then you will have to take the last option