General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

being made redundant - what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default being made redundant - what to do next?

my job has come to an end as all climatic wind tunnel test work will be done in our newer facility in germany. after working for the company for 12 years i will receive a healthy redundancy package so am in no hurry to get straight into another job.

i was thinking of having a couple of months off and in that time i would do some work to modernise the house (taking advice from an estate agent as to how far to go with renovations as it needs a new kitchen and bathroom really bt only worth doing if they will add more value than they cost to do).

i was also thinking of doing 1 day a week of temporary work somewhere, perhaps doing something physical to get a bit of fitness. something outside might also be nice, but maybe not at this time of year.

i may do a bit of beating on shoots as i used to enjoy that as a youngster, but it doesn't pay well at all (hardly covers travelling expenses and food/drink these days). but you do get to walk about in nice countryside.

i would also like to do volunteer work for one day a week, but don't really know what or where to look. if i could combine doing that with my love of driving or riding a motorbike, that would be ideal. i don't want to be wiping old grannie's arses or anything, as although worthy, it is really not my thing.

the main problem i have is knowing what i want to do for a permanent job in the future. i have had many offers in the automotive air conditioning industry as my 12 years experience has given me many skills and contacts, but i feel that i've done enough of that and would like a new challenge.

i have seen a job advert for an engine management system engineer that sounds very interesting that i will definately be applying for, but my dream has always been to work in motorsport. i am very experienced in datalogging and also enjoy that side of my job, so i'm thinking that if i could do that in a motorsport application it would be good. there are a lot of motorsport companies in this area of the country, so i hope that i have a chance to find something.

having written that, maybe it's helped make things clear in my mind but if you have any input or experience to share, please do
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With experience of datalogging/interpretation - maybe consider looking at a "Rackman" position within a race team, most of the 'formula' stuff run dataloggers. Basically entails removing and refitting sensors, calibrating them, real time data monitoring, post race data analysis etc.

Quite good fun actually - i spent 6 weeks shadowing one of the rackmen when i was at Honda Racing F1.

In fact Nick, i'm at a party with a load of the old HRF1 guys in a couple of weeks - a lot of them have moved on and are working all over now - i can see if any of them know of any vacancies?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also worth updating the CV and just getting it on the job websites to see what you get. YOu may get something completely different that takes your fancy
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ring round a few F1 teams then? See if they got any jobs going? Not a high turnover of staff I'd imagine, in that industry, but even still people will still leave for different reasons, and would need to be replaced.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Big Will_

Originally Posted by Graham S1
Not a high turnover of staff I'd imagine, in that industry

That's the furthest from the truth you could get
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i havent got any real advice, but know your a clever chap so you'll have no problem slotting in somewhere! all the best mate
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..i heard Ian Beale is head hunting for a new fish fryer???

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Will @ M Developments

really? Is the turnover between the companies though, or people in and out of the industry?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Will @ M Developments that does sound interesting

i know someone who worked in f1 for a while doing that and eventually all the travel and long hours gets to you. butdefinately something to think about.

i have a contact at honda racing as the missus works for honda, so will be in touch with him soon. but if you could ask around as well, that would be fantastic

Paul Eggleton it's basically done and will be put up soon. in some ways though, i don't want to get another job straight away (although it usually takes a month or two to start somewhere)

GARETH T thanks matey
Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer

I'll double check as the wife cuts his hair
Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do mate

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Big Will_

Originally Posted by Will @ M Developments

really? Is the turnover between the companies though, or people in and out of the industry?
Bit of both really - but yeah, leaving parties were mega common
Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer

I'll double check as the wife cuts his hair
that your claim to fame?

i think he needs a replacement for the stall really as billy is taking the piss these days!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
dumped
Advanced PassionFord User

Friend used to work at minardi as a data engineer, before that was a race engineer in F3000 or what ever it was. He said it was a life choice not a career as the travel,mental hours, working every weekend was very intensive. He now works on call in the offshore industry getting no time off but finds it easier, probably to do with the pay! I found the offshore on call too much for my lifestyle so left that so everyone is different.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

i have heard that it could be very intense, but maybe i'd only do that for a couple of years for the experience before moving on elsewhere in the motorsport industry