General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

av experts/sterio/whatever..! maybe one for Thrush??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default av experts/sterio/whatever..! maybe one for Thrush??

right, heres the situation..

Currently got a 5.1 setup.. thing is, whilst they are good, I want to go bigger..!! they look small the speakers but combined wityh the bass box and AV receiver it all sounds good.. time for a change tho..

I use this set-up to listen to dvds/ps3/tv and music cd's.. therefore, for films and stuff ideally I want to retain the 5.1 surround sound..

question

If I fuck the yamaha small speakers off.. (5 of them) and replace the fronts with a set of Mordaunt Short 904i, and replace the centre one by the tv with a Mordaunt centre speaker.. what do I do about having 2 speakers round the back..? for full o9n surround sound? Are the big speakers ok to use for just general TV or will they sound wank?

lastly, need bass for the DnB, so do I just retain the bass box?

merci
Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've ditched the small front and center speakers for mordaunt short and have the little bose cubes for the rear, sounds fookin brill does depend on size of room/speaker position as well though, dumped the sub as well because i didn't need it anymore
Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

so, small speakers for the rear.. just wont look right..?

why dont you need the sub anymore out of interest.. do the fronts produce adequate bass on there own..?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Westy - get yourself a 5.1 speaker package - but just the speaker package, not an all in one system like you have now, and hook them upto an AV Reciever - which in effect is a multichannle power amp with processing capabilities. Which IIRC you already have (a sony one me thinks?)

I would suggest you get a full package, but there's no reason you couldn't replace the fronts, centre and sub and keep your current rears (tho I don't know what you currently have) Rear speakers don't need to be big or particulary powerfull as they don't do a lot really - sound effects mainly, some dialog now and again. Mainly for presence really.

My Mission front speakers are the nuts. I actually turn the sub off when I play music as they drop lower in the bass stakes than my Mission sub But I do keep the sub as it works well when playing 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS films.

Invest in a GOOD set of front speakers, and if you listen to a lot of music and want a lot of bass, go for floor standers as opposed to bookshelf speakers. A matching centre is a good idea as it'll blend better in film 5.1 etc (mine doesn't match as I need to find a similar mission that will fit in my av unit The matching model one is too big )
Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

got some mission 753 freedoms for my fronts, very good with a bit of D&B been hammered through them, also got an 8" sub hidden behind the sofa!

running a 5.1 setup, and desperatly looking for a new / secondhand more powerfull amp
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Westy - get yourself a 5.1 speaker package - but just the speaker package, not an all in one system like you have now, and hook them upto an AV Reciever - which in effect is a multichannle power amp with processing capabilities. Which IIRC you already have (a sony one me thinks?)

I would suggest you get a full package, but there's no reason you couldn't replace the fronts, centre and sub and keep your current rears (tho I don't know what you currently have) Rear speakers don't need to be big or particulary powerfull as they don't do a lot really - sound effects mainly, some dialog now and again. Mainly for presence really.

My Mission front speakers are the nuts. I actually turn the sub off when I play music as they drop lower in the bass stakes than my Mission sub But I do keep the sub as it works well when playing 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS films.

Invest in a GOOD set of front speakers, and if you listen to a lot of music and want a lot of bass, go for floor standers as opposed to bookshelf speakers. A matching centre is a good idea as it'll blend better in film 5.1 etc (mine doesn't match as I need to find a similar mission that will fit in my av unit The matching model one is too big )

why would I want to invest in a 5.1 speaker package? I already have one and yes, connected to a Sony AV receiver...

the fronts are small tho, so would like to replace with a set of floor standers.. mordaunts's. the centre one would also be replaced with centre speaker but something abit more beefy.

The question is.. would this sound ok matched with the small rear speakers I have?

I'll keep the sub and rears, then replace the rest.. Hope that makes sense... Just wondering if it will all sound ok..

I listen to alot of music, so this setup will be used for music cd's ans well as films etc...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Matt..

films sound the nuts with 5.1 sound.. Call of Duty 4 is wicked as you can hear people behind you

you speak sense... maybe its better to just have a totally seperate sytem for the music... gets expensive tho...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldnt use the rear speakers for music anyway...... music is 2 channel stereo and thats how you listen to it

as matt said about the rears,,,,,, they just for presenc/voice/ low noises to make you " feel" your "in the movie"

personally would decide what i do more...... music or tv and make my stereo from that

though saying that ive got 8 speakers in my front room..... 5 for prologic ( when i get the processor) and 3 for music plus 2 of the other 5 for music too as.... well they are bose speakers after all
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

westy thats all well and good cause your rich anyway
Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate my bose speakers will hear things your "Alba" ones would dream about

ine day come round mine and listen to some music on a stereo then listen to it on mine,,,,,,, my system seems to add extra members of a classical band

im proud of my music system,,,, cost me a little bit of cash but when i play it im reminded of what a good idea it was every time
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

are Mordaunt's any good, considering they seem cheap.. ?

Decided that running a seperate system for music is the best option... retain the rest of it for games/dvd's

cheers lads
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Ginge...

Matts well into his HIFI.. wouldnt suprise me if he has a quality setup..!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

lets see pic's of your set-up's please.. audio stuff well interests me at the moment..
Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude, are these your speakers?

If so, I'll take them off your hands

It'll need to be the complete set though, but that's OK as you'll want to make sure everything matches
Old 05-01-2008, 06:38 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt J
I dont have any pics on the laptop Westy, sorry.

Densen amp, Neat speakers, Rega TT.

I had to cut back a while ago and had to sell the full Naim rig running through a pair of Linn Isobariks, but my current system sounds pretty special even at this level.

Mordaunts are a good speaker mate, I still have a pair somewhere (8 pairs at the minute lol) with the right partnering gear they can sound really good mate, the second hand hi-fi market is ripe with bargains, Ł2-3k RRP gear can be had to make a setup brand new kit at a grand wouldnt be able to touch.

With your musical taste I'd say lookout for kit from Creek, Rega, Naim, Exposure. whilst the mordaunts are a good entry theres a stonking pair of Rega Juras for sale on another forum I use, fantastic dance and rock speakers and they dont look too shabby either, steal at the asking price

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum5/21184.html
Dont give him that link, i was planning on buying them!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
Dude, are these your speakers?

If so, I'll take them off your hands

It'll need to be the complete set though, but that's OK as you'll want to make sure everything matches
They are shite.

a hifi speaker setup for both hifi and home cinema would completely trounce them.

Im running ms 902i's with no complaints.

I also have a 12" orion hcca car subwoofer off a numark pa amp, but in all honestly i find myself turning it off and just using the speakers for drum and bass.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Matt..

I need to register for that site, so will do another time. To be honest mate, I'd prefer to buy brand new as opposed to second hand. Just a personal thing..

Steve - going to keep the 5.1 and have a seperate system for music.. probably best solution really
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
They are shite.
Most people that listen to these in my house swear blind they are much more expensive - they sound good. That's music (I run all 6) or films.

Perhaps it's the amp that makes a difference
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

twoblacklines NX - E130 is the model number of mine - those in the link are a different number, but look similar...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by Ginge !

ine day come round mine and listen to some music on a stereo then listen to it on mine,,,,,,, my system seems to add extra members of a classical band

im proud of my music system,,,, cost me a little bit of cash but when i play it im reminded of what a good idea it was every time
You talk of hi-fi and bose in the same sentance, so I dont think you're in a position to question what I use to listen to music on.

the 2 most over rated and expensive hi-fi makers are Bose and B+O, its just lifestyle boxes for those who like to look at pretty stuff.
mate say what you like. ive got few speaker's that ive had over time, the BOSE 302 have been the most robust for the music i play and sound better

ive had B&W aswell as a classic but pretty set of b&o speakers that id love to buy another pair

when it comes to listening to music im fairly good at that and for wha i NEED them for my bose are hard to beat

overrated is VERY unfair as they need to get to that point somehow ?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

matt i agree to a point

most of my stuff is old....... hell ive still got some leak sandwich speakers at my old mans hoose with a almost abrasive speaker cpver that could give you carpet burns

BUT stuff like this IS about image to most of its customers,,,, otherwise you would by second hand
Old 06-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Westy
Originally Posted by Thrush

why would I want to invest in a 5.1 speaker package? I already have one and yes, connected to a Sony AV receiver...

the fronts are small tho, so would like to replace with a set of floor standers.. mordaunts's. the centre one would also be replaced with centre speaker but something abit more beefy.

The question is.. would this sound ok matched with the small rear speakers I have?

I'll keep the sub and rears, then replace the rest.. Hope that makes sense... Just wondering if it will all sound ok..

I listen to alot of music, so this setup will be used for music cd's ans well as films etc...
You said you wanted different speakers than you have - so invest in a new 5.1 package... That way you get all matching speakers, both visually and sonically...

Size wise, yes you don't need large rear speakers. WIll they match sonically? Possibly, possibly not - hence me saying get a 5.1 "package" - where the speakers will be matched both visually and sonically....

As I also said about mine - my set up is to get the best of both worlds. I could have gone better fronts for music, but woudln't have worked so well with films, and vice versa. So I went for large floorstanders up front for 2ch music, a decent centre (only used for vocal audio in films) and smallish rears (that match the fronts sonically) and a sub for films... So yes, no reason why you can't have large fronts and small rears - which I already said....
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

You said you wanted different speakers than you have - so invest in a new 5.1 package... That way you get all matching speakers, both visually and sonically...
eh..? think we are on different wave lengths here mate..

If I retain the existing 5.1 set-up and buy new floorstanders for music , will I require another AV receiver? Im not to clued up on all this..
Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

YOu are confusing me. You initially wanted to change 3 out of your 5 speakers, and possibly the sub. So out of 6 in total, you wanted to change 3, possibly 4. And was then worried about them not matching. Hence my saying get a whole new speaker package!

But that aside, if memory serves me, you have a Sony AV Reciever right? 5x 100w power amp....? If so, then no, you don't need a new one. Speakers are hooked into it via normal speaker cable, so just change the speakers, and try not to get ones with different ohm ratings or too high or too low power ratings.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

cool, nice one thrush and yes, its the Sony one...