General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who do you use as "breakdown" cover and why ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
woodz77
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who do you use as "breakdown" cover and why ??

got to renew mine on mid jan and am with Norwich Union at the mo . but its £138 for home start and roadside and recovery etc . seems a bit pricey to me ?? when it was on the turbo it went up and then when i changed it to the VR6 it went up agian ??

who and why ?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AA,,,,,,,, the owner is the member NOT the car,,,,,,, so i can use it on anything

also get europe covered by RAC as they cover the ring for breakdown
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Mixja

Originally Posted by Ginge !
AA,,,,,,,, the owner is the member NOT the car,,,,,,, so i can use it on anything

also get europe covered by RAC as they cover the ring for breakdown
AA also...

only coz they were the cheapest for insurance on the series 2 tho...!!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
lardypants
Banned

i own my own recovery truck and me and the misses have got aa

we get the family cover with relay which means get hime from anywere dont need homestart

is 130 a year think there ripping me off as it just renues every year has done for the last 4 years

but atleast i know if the wife and kids were out and somin happened they woyuld get home. thats all i care about
Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

AA,never had to call them out for the cossie just the wifes renault.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AA
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

RAC is the same, cover on the person, not the car... £130 I paid last year... worth every penny.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the AA too & I use them for several reasons.

My company use the AA and they always got to me quickly when my company car has broken down, you get good discounts on airport parking etc & they cover the person not the car which means they'll fix or recover any vehicle you are in

I've not had to use them on the cossie though
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RAC my other half has been with them for about 6 years

Brian
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Barclays Bank
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

used to use greenflag and tbh they were usually pretty quick the times i used them before.partly used them due to the fact the use a local company for the breakdowns and most of the guys were pretty clued up and not just we need to tow you or we can sell you a battery
also if you want homestart cheaper can you not just get the policy sent to a mates address
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Direct Line as it comes as part of my car insurance.

They use local companies too, so waiting time is at a minimum.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ive been with rac/greenflag AND the AA

RAC fucked me over when i called them out years ago,........ cause i was closer to home than a mechanic they offered to either tow me home OR to a LOCAL approved garage,,,,,,,,, not to a garage of my choice due to the costs involved,,,, instead then paied for my AA cover who DID what i asked even though i have joined broken down and screwed over by RAC

greenflag charged me twice as much as advertised as my car was over 10 years old,,,,,, only covered the car aswell not me as a passenger or driver of any car

AA is the only one i bother with now,,,, though i need to look at renewals as i just pay it,,,, dont even know what i pay TBH
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

RAC fucked me over when i called them out years ago,........ cause i was closer to home than a mechanic they offered to either tow me home OR to a LOCAL approved garage,,,,,,,,, not to a garage of my choice due to the costs involved,,,, instead then paied for my AA cover who DID what i asked even though i have joined broken down and screwed over by RAC
Yes but Ginge... it tells you thats what they do in the terms and conditions on the type of cover you have bought. They will take you home or to an approved Garage, its there in black and white.

I have full roadside recovery to home (level 2 or 3) and it costs me a very nice £90. Have only had to use them once, as above as well, can buy a bolt on for break down cover in Europe which covers the ring

Was with the AA for a few year and one day I broke down. I knew exactly what was wrong with the car (air lock because I have been messing about with the fuel filter earlier that day), just didn't have any tools to undo one of the lines. Got the AA van down he looked under the bonnet and then went ok we will tow you back. Didn't have a decent look, didn't every try and sus what was wrong. I asked him for a spanner and fixed it myself.

Did the same with the RAC when my Dizzy cap on the XR2 came loose and broke the rotor arm. RAC guy turned up had a quick look and within a min spotted the loose dizzy cap, took off the cap, found the rotor arm and said "I've got one of these in the truck." Went back, got out a brand new rotor arm fitted it and said "I don't know how much they are so keep that one free of charge." and I was off.

Never changed since.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Me too - got Roadside Relay cover.

I think Rad's a member too
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by XRT_Stu
Yes but Ginge... it tells you thats what they do in the terms and conditions on the type of cover you have bought. They will take you home or to an approved Garage, its there in black and white.

I have full roadside recovery to home (level 2 or 3) and it costs me a very nice £90. Have only had to use them once, as above as well, can buy a bolt on for break down cover in Europe which covers the ring

Was with the AA for a few year and one day I broke down. I knew exactly what was wrong with the car (air lock because I have been messing about with the fuel filter earlier that day), just didn't have any tools to undo one of the lines. Got the AA van down he looked under the bonnet and then went ok we will tow you back. Didn't have a decent look, didn't every try and sus what was wrong. I asked him for a spanner and fixed it myself.

Did the same with the RAC when my Dizzy cap on the XR2 came loose and broke the rotor arm. RAC guy turned up had a quick look and within a min spotted the loose dizzy cap, took off the cap, found the rotor arm and said "I've got one of these in the truck." Went back, got out a brand new rotor arm fitted it and said "I don't know how much they are so keep that one free of charge." and I was off.

Never changed since.

mate ive ALWAYS got the highest policy that STATES to go to any garage of my choice

the AA also give me a curtesy car for 3 days on my policy when ever i break down

np point having a shite breakdown system cause when i need em they NEED to be of use to me

they also knew this hence they paied for me to join the AA they price matched to get my custom,,,,, cost them a full refund aswell as a extra 109 quid as it was cheeper than towing me to birmingham who was gonna do a turbo conversion

oh and the AA NEVER come out near your house as they dont cover it due to leytonstone recovery who just tow cars,, fuck all else and ive complained for them to NEVER send them monkeys out who couldnt wire up a alternator

i DO know my policys and i check them all out hence my europe cover is done via RAC
Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mr S1

you wouldnt belive how many people i know are too fucking tight to join the AA

if ever i break down with them i like to be able to get home
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

mr S1

And that's the exact reason for being a member eh mate ? I hope I never need to use them but for £100 a year ? Money well spent for peace of mind. And still cheaper than having to pay a recovery firm.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread this
Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Mr S1
mr S1

And that's the exact reason for being a member eh mate ? I hope I never need to use them but for £100 a year ? Money well spent for peace of mind. And still cheaper than having to pay a recovery firm.
that IS

that and when ever in borrow a mates car,,, but these days all my mates are driving cars less than 5 years old,,,,,, MINES the shitter and that also dont seem to die

what other reason you think i use it for , is there a scam im not aware of yet ?

maybe im being a little blonde but genuinly thats why i have the policy for MY peace of mind
Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Ginge !

with the AA there is a clause in a contract via car age

but i rang up asked the questions and all was fine ..

mines old school 14 years old..but still never needed to ring them yet via the taxi

but the cards always there..just in case

about £138 a year cover
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

I have been with the AA for years and had no troubles.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had greenflag through the insurance and ive used it a few times with very good response and some sound as fuck mechanics who will listen to you and do as ive asked which is helpful.

Changed over to the RAC this year with the full european recovery and payed extra to get a van covered as well. still cheap for the peace of mind considering I can cover 2k miles in a week all over the country.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Cerby
Regular Contributor

AA - they have rescued my car many a time, Ive never been with anyone else to compare. But they havent let me down yet.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

AA, £80 a year roadside and relay, JOINT COVER.
This is what the RAC offered to do it for as introductory so I said(to AA) that is all I am willing to pay and happy to swap AA one year the RAC the next, so AA just send me renewals for £130 odd and I phone them up and they agree to drop it to £80 joint cover.
tabetha
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

£112 for roadside, relay, homestart with the AA
been using them now for 11 years and not had a problem
got fucked over by the rac a few times and thuoght fuck that

you have to take into consideration that my estate has covered more mileage on teh back of an A recovery wagon than it has under it's own power for the past 5 years though