General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Brakes...WHICH ONES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2007, 08:46 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes...WHICH ONES!!!

Hi all,

I have a 2003 1.8 MP3 focus with brake disks front and rear. All are in need of changing soon and I am sooo confused as to what to get.

I;ve had a look at black diamond disks and predator pads all round and also EBC turbo grooved disks and mintex xtreme and greenstuff pads.
I am also aware of certain Tarox products as well but there are so many out there and so many companies offer different disks and pads at all roughly the same price so I don't know what to get.

Could anyone please advise?

Much appreciated
Old 30-12-2007, 09:11 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

You need to go bigger for a real improvment
Convert to st170 as it has 300mm discs as std
Regards
Ian
Old 31-12-2007, 08:12 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not going to see a huge benefit of going up from 278mm to 300mm, and then have to get brackets etc made.
Moneywise better off with decent pads discs.
The choice of disc is up to you, I would get either grooved or EBC dimpled and grooved, I would then use these with EBC YELLOWSTUFF TRACK PADS.
They WILL work perfectly from cold, they do not squeal, even when removing the anti rattle shim on the the rear of the pads, as I have.
I use Yellowstuff myself, having used ferrodo DS 2000/25000/3000 Mintex 1144/1155/extreme/pagid etc over the years I now use the above pads EBC YELLOWSTUFF, they are one of a very few approved for police pursuit use as well, this is because they will act like an old granny pad tootling aron dtown and a boy racer pad when needed.
If you haven't already get braided hoses too, and change the fluid.
tabetha
Old 31-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Wardy257
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your discs from Rally Design (cheaper and better than all the big names) and use EBC Greenstuff.
Old 31-12-2007, 09:08 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I've had a second recommendation on rally design as well.

Interesting points raised by tabetha and my brake lines are braided already. Seems EBC disks keep getting the thumbs up so may go turbo grooved as I was thinking of (drilled and grooved). Will look at yellow stuff pads as well but haven't come across them yet.
Old 31-12-2007, 04:33 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EBC direct.com
Ebc discs used to be crap, I know have used enough, some went back the same day under warranty.
Greenstuff is now V7 version, and are utter crap, the older V4 was actually quite good, but anyone that says they(V7) are good does not use brakes.
I have them on a astra 1.4 auto, drilled discs and fade them nearly every week, car is std as well, would not put them on a bicycle myself.
tabetha
Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

right sorry to bring this up again but from speaking wiht a friend, the rears don't actually contribute much to the braking as much as the fronts?

Is this the case?

Because if it is I'd rather just replace the pads at the back with the same ones again (mintex xtreme) as the disks are fine and spend more of my budget at the front and get a nice set of Tarox G88s I found the other day.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

yes, the front does about 70-90% of the braking over all
the rears are there to stop the car getting upset when you brake into corners and such

bolt in a new set of pads int eh rear and then think about saving a stack of cash and go for soemthing like a 330 kit
you'll never realisticaly need to change these ever again other than a set of pads
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

if you use the drilled/grooved disks from ebay seller mtec100 they are excellent quality and amazing price, i use them with EBC greenstuff pads.

greenstuffs dont give off much brake dust, which is nice...

black diamond are good but cost nearly 3 times as much.

EBC turbogroove start juddering and cracking up within a few months of purchase
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

thanks people.

I think what I'mprobably going to do is just give the rear discs a clean and stick fresh pads on and get Tarox G88s on the front A mate has them on his Evo and had them on his FRST as well and never had problems. And the Evo has twice the power I have Can't really afford a 330 kit right now unfortunately and don't really have enough power to justify doing it but later on might need to think about doing it
Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
EBC direct.com
Ebc discs used to be crap, I know have used enough, some went back the same day under warranty.
Greenstuff is now V7 version, and are utter crap, the older V4 was actually quite good, but anyone that says they(V7) are good does not use brakes.
I have them on a astra 1.4 auto, drilled discs and fade them nearly every week, car is std as well, would not put them on a bicycle myself.
tabetha
i use ebc discs and redstuff pads front with greenstuff on the rear and ive never faded them yet,just keep biting and i certainly do use my brakes.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by percybigun
if you use the drilled/grooved disks from ebay seller mtec100 they are excellent quality and amazing price, i use them with EBC greenstuff pads.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290194554426

I have been looking at these as well and they look very cheap. Do you know where they're made? Are they Chinese? Have you had any trouble with them?

Charlie
Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Wardy257
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Char1ie

I have been looking at these as well and they look very cheap. Do you know where they're made? Are they Chinese? Have you had any trouble with them?

Charlie
Go to Rally Design, they are cheaper and better. I have used their discs on so many cars now and had no problems at all. A lot of these brands charge you for the name.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I've just ordered mintex vented discs at the front with mintex xtreme brake pads and a brake box kit at the back consisting of discs and pads..

Cost me £110 in total for all 4 discs and pads.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 AM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

£50 a corner is gotta be good and any upgrade over std is worth doing when it comes to stopping
Regards
Ian
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Char1ie

Charlie
I did a bit of research and asked the seller about these. I've ordered a set as an interim solution before a serious upgrade in future. I hope they work OK. They're made in Eastern Europe. I'll let you know how I get on.

Charlie