General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

welded vs quaife atb

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2007, 04:18 PM
lammylama
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welded vs quaife atb

Im in a bit of a dilemma at the moment as my standard diff is starting to give up the ghost and occasionally only spinning on one side.

I was thinking about trying the old welded diff thingy as most of my mates have this and they love them apart from when parallel parking and going round tight corners in the wet.....tendency to understeer somewhat.

But i also have a quaife ATB sitting in my shed from my old saff which i havent bothered putting on yet so was wondering if anyone on here has tried both and how different did they feel when getting a bit sideways.

Im sure you'll all say quaife but was just wondering !!!!
Old 30-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

welded diff on the road,bloody stupid!!
Old 30-12-2007, 05:10 PM
abdr500
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cosworth Rallyesport
thats ture get a atb
Old 30-12-2007, 05:17 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bollocks,theyre fine.
Old 30-12-2007, 05:18 PM
lammylama

i already have a quaife atb in my shed ....just wondered what ppl's views were....thats all
Old 30-12-2007, 05:19 PM
lammylama

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
bollocks,theyre fine.
i know of 5 or 6 people that run them on cossies and they all say they are fine
Old 30-12-2007, 05:20 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i just drove from haverfordwest to cheltenham down the a40,through tiny villages and motorway sections alike,and only remembered the car i had was using a welder when i did a VERY tight turn into the drive way!
Old 30-12-2007, 05:58 PM
gibbo frst

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im waiting for my broken diff to be repaired so i can take the shitty welded spare one out.. drives like a pig .. probably ok if your just thrashing it everywhere tho. feels like any turn you make its slowing the car down ..
Old 30-12-2007, 06:03 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

on what car?as on the beemer and volvo ive driven it was only when REALLY slow i even noticed it?and been in a sierra too and that was better than beemer.
Old 30-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

really?

i drove our drift shitter every day for a year with a welder, the car handled much better than it did without it

the only time things went wrong was when i was fucking about and ran out of talent lol

you could puh it quite hard and the thing never stepped out once unless provoked

if you want to drift, an ATB is NO good
Old 30-12-2007, 06:24 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im with tim,, i would much rather drive a lsd on the road than a welded one!
Old 30-12-2007, 06:26 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
really?

i drove our drift shitter every day for a year with a welder, the car handled much better than it did without it

the only time things went wrong was when i was fucking about and ran out of luck lol

you could puh it quite hard and the thing never stepped out once unless provoked

if you want to drift, an cosworth generally is NO good

Any progress on the 3door dan?
Old 30-12-2007, 06:26 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bollocks,theyre fine.
They are fookin lethal ! Especially if you arent used to how the car behaves with one in, over steering when provoked then understeering when trying to do simple low speed manouvres

Loads of fun at the retail park or an airfield but for general road use you're just putting your car / health / health of others at risk for no reason, especially if you have an ATB sitting in the shed

And Fudge-packer ask Jon Hill about driving with a welded diff...... I am sure the word tree will come into his reply
Old 30-12-2007, 06:28 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so on a 2wd how good are these quaife diffs then!for road use and maybe ocassional quarter mile etc
Old 30-12-2007, 06:33 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by neilm
bollocks,theyre fine.
They are fookin lethal ! Especially if you arent used to how the car behaves with one in, over steering when provoked then understeering when trying to do simple low speed manouvres

Loads of fun at the retail park or an airfield but for general road use you're just putting your car / health / health of others at risk for no reason, especially if you have an ATB sitting in the shed

And Fudge-packer ask Jon Hill about driving with a welded diff...... I am sure the word tree will come into his reply
please read my previous reply,im not making this up,i have experience,with DAILY drivers!!!!not ONCE in the near 3 hour trip today in a turbo,stripped rwd car in the wet on roads i dont know did i even feel REMOTELY unsafe,infact i was told i was driving fast when i felt completely relaxed at the end feeling i had been going steady!experience is a wondrous thing.
Old 30-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

bollocks,theyre fine.

john knows very well, how they go lol, im guessing from your post that he binned a car with one lol?

he also spent a good 5 mins upside down in the footwell of our shitter while trying to take some snaps of me drifting, after his repeated screaming that he was going to be sick, i finally stopped

james-w

i had a spare half hour earlier and port matched (ish) the cast part of the inlet runners, and now just need to get the face skimmed where the dremmel slipped lol.

and then its just a case of waiting till i get my insurance payout so i can pay for it to be finished

not a great deal left to do, but its all the fidly shit that takes ages lol
Old 30-12-2007, 06:35 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bollocks,theyre fine.

john knows very well, how they go lol, im guessing from your post that he binned a car with one lol?

he also spent a good 5 mins upside down in the footwell of our shitter while trying to take some snaps of me drifting, after his repeated screaming that he was going to be sick, i finally stopped

james-w

i had a spare half hour earlier and port matched (ish) the cast part of the inlet runners, and now just need to get the face skimmed where the dremmel slipped lol.

and then its just a case of waiting till i get my insurance payout so i can pay for it to be finished

not a great deal left to do, but its all the fidly shit that takes ages lol
agree about the finishing little jobs what take msot of the time

Look forward to seeing it finished though mate!
James
Old 30-12-2007, 06:51 PM
sykes
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Welded all the way marky!!!! It would suit your drove it like you stole nature!!!!!!LOL!!!!!
Old 30-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

bollocks,theyre fine.

please read my previous reply,im not making this up,i have experience,with DAILY drivers!!!!not ONCE in the near 3 hour trip today in a turbo,stripped rwd car in the wet on roads i dont know did i even feel REMOTELY unsafe,infact i was told i was driving fast when i felt completely relaxed at the end feeling i had been going steady!experience is a wondrous thing.
you sound like your wasted not being in the WRC.
Old 30-12-2007, 07:01 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if thats sarcasm then i think youre missing the point,i wasnt driving like i stole it,just felt comfy at the speeds i was doing (whatever they were as speedo doesnt work lol!).im not claiming to be a great driver,nor even a very good one.just competent enough to turn left or right at the correct time so the car stays on the grey strip between the green bits.i have no delusions of rally driving.
Old 30-12-2007, 07:13 PM
sykes
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Big wig it ain't talking to you sorry. lammylama knows wat i mean!!!!
Old 30-12-2007, 07:24 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

why would you want to do this other than beacuse you cant afford a proper LSD ?

they can only make handling worse, totally compromising the way the car drives and handles.

we did this about 10 years ago to a mates SD1 rover V8 ( as the diff gave up) and the car came to a sad end, at low speeds the car was horrendous, at anything other than a straight line the car was awful, and lets face it, even with a shit LSD you dont even use the slipper in a straight line,
thats before we even get into lift steering issues
Old 30-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

markk ive drive a rover SD1 with no power steering,,, the car is just horrendous

Im about to weld the diff in the BM of mine, just cause its knocking when going sideways and can feel a issue with the diff anyway

i could get a M3 rear suspention wishbone and everything set up,,, for 500quid and fit that

or get my diff welded, if it feels shite sell it on and get a M3 rear end set up,,, for the same 500 quid

id like to just fit a LSD to the diff, but not possible and aint worth fitting a 1k diff to a car that aint got enough power to take the skin of custard

besides as most of my cars have been old shitters anyway i doubt i would notice if it drove shite
Old 30-12-2007, 09:19 PM
lammylama

really?

the only time things went wrong was when i was fucking about and ran out of talent lol

i beg to differ there mate.....my ATB was pukka for drifting and another well known white 3 dr that is all over youtube is also running an ATB.

Old 30-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate a quaite ATB is a torque biasing diff

the way it works is it shifts the power from the one loosing traction to the other side thats got traction or something like that

basically a plated diff is what drifting cars should have not a atb

they work but not as well as a plated jobby due to the way they actually work
Old 30-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by lammylama
really?

i beg to differ there mate.....my ATB was pukka for drifting and another well known white 3 dr that is all over youtube is also running an ATB.

ps: i alsot think hes refering to drifting as driving in a line sideways looking out the sidewindow then changing direction and looking out the other side

the " well known white 3 door" does donuts round roundabouts the drives off in a straight line whilst the wheels get traction squrming a little
Old 30-12-2007, 11:11 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
markk ive drive a rover SD1 with no power steering,,, the car is just horrendous

Im about to weld the diff in the BM of mine, just cause its knocking when going sideways and can feel a issue with the diff anyway

i could get a M3 rear suspention wishbone and everything set up,,, for 500quid and fit that

or get my diff welded, if it feels shite sell it on and get a M3 rear end set up,,, for the same 500 quid

id like to just fit a LSD to the diff, but not possible and aint worth fitting a 1k diff to a car that aint got enough power to take the skin of custard

besides as most of my cars have been old shitters anyway i doubt i would notice if it drove shite
if its banging ginge then get under the car and have a look,you probably broke the diff mounts,so welding the internals wont help!i had this problem
Old 30-12-2007, 11:14 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh and unless im typing from the grave i just been out again for 3 odd hours in a welded diff car and have returned safely,even in wet greasy conditions.
Old 30-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

greg ill get that looked at when its welded up

i KNEW i should have fitted cheepo tyres with no traction in the wet and took a job that didnt require me to go round 3 roundabouts on the way to work

it might be for sale soon if your interested,,,,,, used never been used for handbrake turns

all new bushes/arms/steering rack/wheel bearings and on its 3rd set of tyres this year
Old 30-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and unless im typing from the grave i just been out again for 3 odd hours in a welded diff car and have returned safely,even in wet greasy conditions.
what car you been using ?

i drove a 200sx with a welded diff and camber in the carpark was a issue at work
Old 30-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

ROFL@Dangerous

Its MUCH more predictable, grippy, and less snappy than a fucking open diff, and you wont even realise you running one 99% of the time.

If it was dangerous then fuck knows how we drove 250miles today, fast (including numerous random burnouts and donuts ), in the wet, in a car with a welder, and didnt die or accidently get sideways once, including a number of 110mph+ times.
Greg TOTALLY left me (and all the other road users) for dead accross the bloody Brecon Beacons in the wet, in a ancient old non-sports car with crap old skinny tyres with 45psi in the rears.
Without the ass coming out once.
And no, he not an expert driver, he a normal driver like me or whatever.

Ive owned 6 or 7 cars with welded diffs now I think, fuck, just bought another today, and unless your an utter spacca who would get in the same trouble in an open diff car, you wont have a prob.
You wont even know most the time.

And thats experience of driving thousands of miles in lots of types of cars, all with welders, on the road.

No internet bullshit and rumour, no guessing from experiences with other stuff, just straight up fact.

I currently own 1 car with a welder, and another with a proper race spec plated diff.
And no way is the LSD safer.
Its fucking noisier, and it makes drifting easier than a welder, but it sure as fuck isnt safer or more predicable, and neither is more dangerous than an open one IMO.
Old 30-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

My new car, the bestest car in the world. Ever. (even if im gonna sell it to greg in a month or so)

Kids on mopeds and boyracers all had to bowdown to the new smoke machine

RS Daz off here saw us earlier in it actually

Ive only been home 10mins and im getting driving like a prick and doing donuts withdrawl symptoms
Old 30-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

As is probably obvious from this post, it REALLY depends on what you want to use it for.

The rally boys (markk and TF) obvioulsy prefer a "proper" diff because ulimately its a faster route to safely get from a to b, but the fact is providing you drive knowing you have a welded diff, they really arent as bad as people make out, I wouldnt be bothered with one on a daily driver from a safety point of view, but I find the lowspeed characteristics annoying.
Old 30-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

its bugger all to do with fastest a to b, tons of clubman rallycars run spools or welders, same as hot rods, same as most the thundersaloons, same as dick johnsons RS500s, most the Aussie V8 Supercars, Porsche 917 racers, Penske Porsche 956 endurance racers, etc etc etc.
you think Penske or Dick Johnson chose to run a spool over a plated diff as he couldnt afford a proper diff?

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
but I find the lowspeed characteristics annoying.
lot less "annoying lowspeed characteristics" in a welder than there is a proper plated race diff mate...
Old 30-12-2007, 11:25 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
My new car, the bestest car in the world. Ever. (even if im gonna sell it to greg in a month or so)

Ive only been home 10mins and im getting driving like a prick and doing donuts withdrawl symptoms
and its at my house so u cant go out in it!!!lol!
Old 30-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Stavros

and its at my house so u cant go out in it!!!lol!
we need a 2nd key cut
Old 30-12-2007, 11:30 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whats the new car steve?
and greg do i recall you building a sierra with a mental engine in ages ago? or was that a dream lol?
James
Old 30-12-2007, 11:40 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

james w,i used to have a very fast sierra.but it died horrendously,and theres always talk of a certain engine going in another sierra,but hasnt happened yet!lol.
steve,im sure theres a spare key in the wallet we got today.
Old 30-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Yeah, Greg had a 400bhp+ 400lbft+ Saff back in the day. The car ive bought and will sell to Greg in a month or so will be its replacment.

And used for the same things, driving like a prick, doing donuts, and making people wonder why the fuck that really ordinary looking car just kicked their ass

Originally Posted by James-W
whats the new car steve?
Secret but one of these once won the Australian Touring Car Championship in the 80s
Old 30-12-2007, 11:43 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

james w,i used to have a very fast sierra.but it died horrendously,and theres always talk of a certain engine going in another sierra,but hasnt happened yet!lol.
thats the one im sure i heard about off here, fuck knows where, i just remembered for some reason when i read this thread

Quick Reply: welded vs quaife atb