General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving Techniques.....

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2007, 12:46 PM
KW-rscos
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving Techniques.....

We had a post the surfaces every now and again about Left Foot braking, was just wondering about other peoples driving techniques, for instance I drive on the hypothosis of Brake in a straight line whilst down changing, then turning in and accelerating from the apex (ergo the slow in fast out approach). But left foot braking, I am very good at slowing the car down with my left foot with good control, but this in a straight line, Im not sure I would know what to do with it to get the car sideways (no I dont mean boyracer chav sideways, I mean actually comming in useful for unweighting the car on loose surface) but I was reading on the other post about "trailing" the brakes which I havent been able to try out properly yet but had a quick go with and found the front end to be more stable mid corner if i was going to fast, so is this the idea of trailing the brakes or have I missed the concept??

So come on people, your driving techniques, how they work and your experience of them.......
Old 28-12-2007, 12:50 PM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent most of the time in a rwd bwm and it spents most of the time in some sort of drift so i usually end up trying to upset the car with either flick, handbrake, shiftlock etc etc....fed up with driving fast, most can do it maybe not well but most can....but drifting is a whole other ball game....

Other then that im on the bike which again is completly different....
Old 28-12-2007, 01:02 PM
KW-rscos

Originally Posted by JoeE30
I spent most of the time in a rwd bwm and it spents most of the time in some sort of drift so i usually end up trying to upset the car with either flick, handbrake, shiftlock etc etc....fed up with driving fast, most can do it maybe not well but most can....but drifting is a whole other ball game....

Other then that im on the bike which again is completly different....
This is what I mean, I dont want to sound stupid, but what do you mean by shift lock? is that changing down the gears to fast in a RWD car causing the rear wheels to lock?
Old 28-12-2007, 01:04 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you be left foot braking to slow the car down in a straight line on the road, in a servo'd road car?
Old 28-12-2007, 01:11 PM
KW-rscos

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Why would you be left foot braking to slow the car down in a straight line on the road, in a servo'd road car?
Im not, I was just saying that I have fairly good control with my left foot, but I dont really know what I would do to use it to make the car shift its weight for say loose surface driving,

when slowing the car down in a straight line I use my right foot. But this is what I am getting at, when people said about left foot braking on the other thread there was different people saying different things.
Old 28-12-2007, 02:53 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I'm going to mention is throttle feathering. When going round not such a sharp bend or you want to slow down, how do the turbo boys go about doing this??

I mean, are you wary of this because of the boost going to come in and cause the back end to give way?

Just wondering as I normally try and keep above 4k rpm in a corner since max torque is just above that

Any less than 4k then I am on a dip in torque.
Old 28-12-2007, 09:37 PM
KW-rscos

Originally Posted by pani_k
One thing I'm going to mention is throttle feathering. When going round not such a sharp bend or you want to slow down, how do the turbo boys go about doing this??

I mean, are you wary of this because of the boost going to come in and cause the back end to give way?

Just wondering as I normally try and keep above 4k rpm in a corner since max torque is just above that

Any less than 4k then I am on a dip in torque.
off topic, but is the focus in the sig turbo'd?