General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

show us your secure battery trays/boxes

Search this Thread

Old 26-12-2007, 12:03 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts
Default show us your secure battery trays/boxes

i have a red fibreglass battery box like burtons etc all sell,

it is bolted to the car via 4 bolts and big washers to stop them ever pulling through,

BUT.........it worrys me that in an accident the box could shatter/split and the battery fly out as only the lid holds it in

you think these are safe?

i used to have a proper ford battery tray welded in the boot but binned the when i put the fuel cell there,

heres my current item
Old 26-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, i use a plastic battery box which is bolted down like yours, but the battery is also clamped down, i used two pieces of 6mm studding slighty higher than the battery, then a piece of alloy angle with two holes drilled in either end bolted across the top, that fooker aint going anywhere.
Old 26-12-2007, 03:07 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

is that how your supposed to do it as it seems the sensile thing to do? didnt think it was right just held in by the lid
Old 26-12-2007, 03:25 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

i think this post is just to show off your
awesome fuel cell/pump install
fair play nice rear end
Old 26-12-2007, 03:29 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
fair play nice rear end
no no no, fella, just genuinly wanting to secure the battery properly as the car is having a few safety upgrades so gonna do everything at once
Old 26-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

Mark, thats quite nice seeing your setup.

im about to have a tank made for mine and thats given me some nice ideas as to how to lay it all out etc.
Old 26-12-2007, 03:42 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Kelv

im about to have a tank made for mine and thats given me some nice ideas as to how to lay it all out etc.
cheers kelv

although it is a little over complicated i think, this was due to trial and eventually removalof a lift pump, i am considering losing the swirl pot and running the 044 pumps parralell straight to the fuel rail then straight back to cell, losing the swirl pot as the tank is foam filled...BUT....it works fine so why fcuk with it ay

Trending Topics

Old 26-12-2007, 03:44 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fair play nice rear end
Thats what i thought

Bit like spending 1k on getting your car professionally valeted top to bottom inside and out and then making a thread entitled "just cleaned the car lets see yours"
Old 26-12-2007, 03:44 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
Originally Posted by Kelv

cheers kelv

although it is a little over complicated i think, this was due to trial and eventually removalof a lift pump, i am considering losing the swirl pot and running the 044 pumps parralell straight to the fuel rail then straight back to cell, losing the swirl pot as the tank is foam filled...BUT....it works fine so why fcuk with it ay

because your bored
Old 27-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Micky
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery needs to be clamped inside the battery box securely.Just using the battery box lid to stop the battery from flying out in an accident is a very amature way of fitting the battery,not to mention downright dangerous!!Regards,Micky
Old 27-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not being picky but i am planning on mounting mine behind the passenger seat on the floor, as imo its low down and cant really go anywhere in an accident as its right behind the seat
Old 27-12-2007, 05:38 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Is it fiberglass or ABS plastic ? Wet or Gel battery ?

I would only ever put a gel type battery inside a car cockpit and these can be mounted safely upside down or on their side etc and even without any box whatsoever if you wish.

If the unfortunate should happen then having acid dripping down onto you when upside down is not nice feeling.

As for position its mounted within the safety zone of inside the roll cage so thats the safest place to be

My gel battery is on its side behind the seat

Old 27-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as tony said above... i'd always use a varley (gel) battery if it's not separated from me by a firewall.
Old 27-12-2007, 08:47 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

And if you are after good strong advice Mark I'd lift those seat belt mounting points up if you can, by fitting a proper rear brace and restraining from that. If your worried about having such a big accident that the battery box may split then where those belts are pulling from they will do basically nothing.
Old 27-12-2007, 08:50 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: show us your secure battery trays/boxes

Originally Posted by M K
i have a red fibreglass battery box like burtons etc all sell,

it is bolted to the car via 4 bolts and big washers to stop them ever pulling through,

BUT.........it worrys me that in an accident the box could shatter/split and the battery fly out as only the lid holds it in

you think these are safe?

i used to have a proper ford battery tray welded in the boot but binned the when i put the fuel cell there,

heres my current item
Looks well m8.
Old 27-12-2007, 06:47 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Micky
The battery needs to be clamped inside the battery box securely.Just using the battery box lid to stop the battery from flying out in an accident is a very amature way of fitting the battery,not to mention downright dangerous!!Regards,Micky
thats what i thought, hence why i asked the question....didnt want a telling off
il get that sorted then before the next outing

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
And if you are after good strong advice Mark I'd lift those seat belt mounting points up if you can, by fitting a proper rear brace and restraining from that. If your worried about having such a big accident that the battery box may split then where those belts are pulling from they will do basically nothing.
the cars is going for a full weld in cage to replace the 6 point bolt in omp very soon mate, so will have proper harness bars integrated in the rear x so got that 1 covered

As for the gel battery's......ive been looking at the likes of a red top/yellow top optima type as they are dry cell and can be mounted anywhere/any position, yours looks good but looks a little small and as my car sits for long periods with no tricle charge etc i need something to last as long as possable to keep my alarm going and good cranking after being dormant for several weeks at a time, ive seen people use these little race batteries and they have to jump the car every 5 minutes to start it

whats your experiances on this matter
Old 27-12-2007, 06:48 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

KSA-Cossie cheers fella.....function over looks tho
Old 27-12-2007, 07:30 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

Marc what about one of theose batteries like DaveEscos had in his cossie?

Was yellow and grey and a funny shape

I know thats not much help, but they could be mounted vertical or horizontal and are of normal 12v size.

Old 27-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

just found these as i need something safe for mine

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/Pro...eryOdyssey.htm
Old 27-12-2007, 08:16 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
Marc what about one of theose batteries like DaveEscos had in his cossie?

Was yellow and grey and a funny shape

I know thats not much help, but they could be mounted vertical or horizontal and are of normal 12v size.

Originally Posted by M K

As for the gel battery's......ive been looking at the likes of a red top/yellow top optima type as they are dry cell and can be mounted anywhere/any position,
already said that fella
Old 27-12-2007, 08:20 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

Doh!

Yeah they be the ones mate
Old 27-12-2007, 08:35 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by MAD YUM
This is mine

i have thought about that 1 dave, from pre-fab i believe and available on ebay i think too, another possability to look at
Old 27-12-2007, 08:39 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Yep it looks fucking boss
Old 27-12-2007, 11:42 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by M K
As for the gel battery's......ive been looking at the likes of a red top/yellow top optima type as they are dry cell and can be mounted anywhere/any position, yours looks good but looks a little small and as my car sits for long periods with no tricle charge etc i need something to last as long as possable to keep my alarm going and good cranking after being dormant for several weeks at a time, ive seen people use these little race batteries and they have to jump the car every 5 minutes to start it

Red Top 30 will be fine for your needs, they have the cranking amps safety and longevity and are widely used in the sport.

How long is long periods ? I have 2 and keep one on the car and the other permanently conditioned with a mobile phone charger plugged into a solar panel cell. (Costs nothing to keep topped up that way). These type of batteries much prefer a trickle charge to a boost as that can sometimes kill them, so the few milli amps from a phone charger is safe and fine over long periods. (2/3 years lol)

We often have them in stock second hand for about 40 quid each.

Sold a few to the pug lads so maybe Spiky or Phil can offer more advice as their track cars may also be laid up for longish periods ?

The very small ones your on about are mostly used in single seater racing, the engine is jump started from a slave battery then runs off power from the alternator and a tiny 12v gel pack. Not recommended for your application.

Pic below was one of our secondhand units and is shown so you can see the full size, ignore the label lol it went a long time ago now

Good news on the cage front then Nothing wrong with that OMP jobbie now in a track car except the bolts are in upside down but as its coming out then that dont matter
Old 28-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

are these good enough to run a car computer, stereo amps ect tony
Old 28-12-2007, 12:56 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Your alternator should do that Jay, a battery is a reserve not a supply

What amps you drawing?

The 700w of lights on the front of my car in the sig pic dosnt even trouble it for 8 hours lol (engine running of course)
Old 28-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

put me down for one thenmate pm me payment
Old 28-12-2007, 08:53 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by M K

Red Top 30 will be fine for your needs, they have the cranking amps safety and longevity and are widely used in the sport.

How long is long periods ? I have 2 and keep one on the car and the other permanently conditioned with a mobile phone charger plugged into a solar panel cell. (Costs nothing to keep topped up that way). These type of batteries much prefer a trickle charge to a boost as that can sometimes kill them, so the few milli amps from a phone charger is safe and fine over long periods. (2/3 years lol)

We often have them in stock second hand for about 40 quid each.

Sold a few to the pug lads so maybe Spiky or Phil can offer more advice as their track cars may also be laid up for longish periods ?

The very small ones your on about are mostly used in single seater racing, the engine is jump started from a slave battery then runs off power from the alternator and a tiny 12v gel pack. Not recommended for your application.

Pic below was one of our secondhand units and is shown so you can see the full size, ignore the label lol it went a long time ago now

Good news on the cage front then Nothing wrong with that OMP jobbie now in a track car except the bolts are in upside down but as its coming out then that dont matter
i thought the threaded part of the bolt was meant to be on the inside handy for a normal run of the mill track car i thought as stops the threads getting knackered.
The change over to weld in cage is due to the fact ive ever had the strengthening plates in the floor like your supposed to as to be honest at the time i fitted it i never knew you were meant to as i bought the cage second hand and thought you just bolt em in, its been bugging me ever since i found out so thought what the heck...may as well fit a full weld in jobby as some say they provide 50% more stiffness over a bolt in.

as for the battery, i have no power at my garage, nor can i use a solar charger etc for fear of the kids findning it breaking it the little fookers.
The car will sometimes stand 4-8 weeks without being started and driven.
Old 28-12-2007, 09:49 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

How the posts are is irrespective other than you need to change your cable ends to suit. Its like saying why do some wet cell battries have square posts and some round ? Its just a design. Very few have a female connection on top, the majority of that size of gel batteries are M6 male as shown above.

Dont know the curent draw from your alarm, but I'd guess over that sort of period they would be ok. If you do begin to expeience problems then using or connecting one of those portable battery jumper packs that are in many shops now would only take 30 seconds or so.

Good news re the cage then Shows your seriously thinking about safety Its all about minimising risk at the end of the day, and a non drip gel battery inside a cockpit is just part of that risk removal.
If you have to put up with a jump start once or twice a year thats going to be better than any of the dangers from tipping over a wet cell.

Safety is never ending mate, no one is trying to give you chapter and verse, its your car and at the end of the day you choose what you want to do with it
Old 28-12-2007, 10:10 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

How the posts are is irrespective other than you need to change your cable ends to suit. Its like saying why do some wet cell battries have square posts and some round ? Its just a design. Very few have a female connection on top, the majority of that size of gel batteries are M6 male as shown above.
you mistook what i said mate, i was on about my current bolt in cage having the bolts fitted thread upwards into the car, not the threads on the battery

as you said the bolts are in upside down
Old 28-12-2007, 11:03 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ahh sorry But yes they are in upside down.

You bolt the cage to the floor, not the floor to the cage No worries now if its coming out.
Old 28-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

nice looking battery there,

i bolted mine to the floor with alu strapping

not been used in a few weeks now, but i went a few weeks without use and starts the car fine
Old 28-12-2007, 12:34 PM
RAT8OY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Where are you off to for the cage Mark?
Old 28-12-2007, 12:36 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

adrenalin race and performance i think mate, as i very much doubt i can affors the prices from ACS
Old 28-12-2007, 12:42 PM
RAT8OY

Come on Mark this is me your talking to!!

I didnt think you did cant afford!

They will put a welded cage in for around £900. I am in Shrops at the moment but when I get back we could take a journey up there for a chat/quote if you fancy. Dont forget mine was costly because of all the suspension work and extra shit I had added.
Old 28-12-2007, 12:51 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RAT8OY
Come on Mark this is me your talking to!!

I didnt think you did cant afford!

They will put a welded cage in for around £900. I am in Shrops at the moment but when I get back we could take a journey up there for a chat/quote if you fancy. Dont forget mine was costly because of all the suspension work and extra shit I had added.
ok dan its always a good idea to get another quote, especially as i have seen their work in yours,

sooner rather than later tho mate as adrenalin are kind of holding a booking in date for me
Old 28-12-2007, 06:19 PM
RAT8OY

I am back on the 2nd of Jan so we could pop up on the 3rd, failing that |I can PM you the number and ask for Gordon tell him i sent you.

Hes a nice bloke. But when you see what they can do I bet you will be spending more! LOL

Old 28-12-2007, 06:43 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

im back to work on the second mate so can only really do the saturday 6th i think it is,

what is the full company name again mate, and il look them up on opening times etc