General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is it ALL lorry drivers or????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2007, 07:06 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

London's fun in a lorry
Wouldn't like to drive my car round there though
Old 19-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Mixja

Originally Posted by C4llyT
London's fun in a lorry
Wouldn't like to drive my car round there though
londons great in a truck, dont get up there much any more...

used to deliver a lot of these, this is a housing estate in barking.....

and i never took any wing mirrors off!!
Old 19-12-2007, 07:54 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenC
but why do the guys in the slower HGV have an annoying nack of not flashing the turbo HGV in and leaving about 400 yards gap before they do??? Is it a little man syndrome thing or what? .
Very very rarely do you not get flashed back in, and most of the times you don't there's such a speed differential there's no need.
Also, the overtaking driver should be able to judge when he's clear, not that difficult.
Honestly don't see much of what you refer to, and am on the roads50+ hours a week.
seems to be the monday am (pre 6am) lot on the A1 in the habit of doing it. Agree that they should know there length and pull in anyway but get a lot that dont.

As for taking one of them through London Id love to be able to do it but know Id get stuck after a couple of minutes, some very talented drivers about
Old 19-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by chunky3
dont comment on trucks till youve steered 1 then you will know what its like. i do it its shit 56 mph flat out its a rite laugh. where would we be without them ? all trucks want parking up for a week then you will all start moaning empty shelves in shops and no fuel for your toys.
The thread aint about lorry drivers 'in general'

Its about the empty shed heads who blame the sat nav for taking them down a narrow lane WHEN THERE ARE SIGNS saying not to

Yes some people have gone on a tangent from my original post though but thats PF for ya
Old 19-12-2007, 08:32 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by aduz
can someone also tell hgv drivers to stop hogging the middle lane on motorways aswell or overtake and then stay at the same speed
Oh dont get me started on this mate. Absolutely does my head in this, especially on the 2 laners.

They should be banned from the outside lane on 2 laners like they are in many other countries.

We've been trying it out here on a stretch of the M42 but it seems these many hgv drivers are either blind and cant see the great big bastardin signs to say they must stay in the inside lane, or their just inconsiderate fools. Most probably the latter.

Definatly amongst the most inconsiderate drivers on the roads based on this alone. Not to mention the cutting up the roundabouts and going all the way round the roundabout in the left hand lane with no indication. Some of the driving i see on the roads is ridiculous.

Bloody donkeys!

It really wouldnt be so much of a problem for everyone else if the one being overtaken just slows down by 2 mph to let the one going 0.01 mph faster back into the inside lane.

On the 3 lane motorways i almost always flash them to overtake if there indicating or even if i can see them wanting to come over without indicating. You have more chance of anticipated it on 3 laners, its just the 2 laners what gets me really as many times when they just fly out without warning, they leave you with no where to go, so you either have to brake hard, nearly casuing a pile up behind you (totally unbeknown to them ), or you have to fly out in the outside lane with only a split second to see if its safe.

Of course not all of them are like this, and some are actually quite decent drivers and considerate.

(im ready for the load of abuse im going to get for this post )
Old 19-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

For every piece of bad HGV driving you say goes on, I will tell you of 10 pieces of shit car driving that I have seen.

I would love to have a camera or a copper in my cab just to point out how shit the standard of car driving is, it would be very interesting and insightful,
FFS some people don't even know how to join a motorway
Old 19-12-2007, 08:47 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Big G
For every piece of bad HGV driving you say goes on, I will tell you of 10 pieces of shit car driving that I have seen.

I would love to have a camera or a copper in my cab just to point out how shit the standard of car driving is, it would be very interesting and insightful,
Your right mate, theres just as many bad car drivers about, but hgv drivers themselves will only see loads of other cars go past them and not many hgvs, whereas car drivers with probably see similar amounts of each.

To be honest, id say its pretty equal between hgvs and cars that cause me hassle on the roads. Probably a 50/50 split. the difference is that when a hgv's involved, it can go pear shaped much easier, and more likely to be more vehicles involved

Yes ok its their job and all that, but they still have a responsibitly to drive with considerstion, probably more so than any other type of driver. The % of inconsiderate hgv drivers far outweighs the % of bad car drivers in my opinion, and in my experience from spending half of my life on the roads.
Old 19-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Mixja

hear fuckin hear!!!!!
Old 19-12-2007, 08:51 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mixja

hear fuckin hear!!!!!
See my post above mate. Your going to see a higher % of cars than hgv's if your an hgv driver yourself, so it stands to reason that youll see more bad driving from cars.
Old 19-12-2007, 08:53 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very good point about people not knowing how to join motorways. how on earth can people get to the end of a slip road without being able to join the motorway safely?
Old 19-12-2007, 08:59 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chunky3
dont comment on trucks till youve steered 1 then you will know what its like. i do it its shit 56 mph flat out its a rite laugh. where would we be without them ? all trucks want parking up for a week then you will all start moaning empty shelves in shops and no fuel for your toys.
Not this old chestnut again.

No ones saying take them off the road or park them up mate. People would just appreciate a bit of consideration and common sense being used a bit more, rather than causing a mass trail of chaos and/or destruction behind them, when they decide they want to gain 100 yards and 10 seconds of time, causing 50 cars behind them to lose a few minutes of time each, and plenty of road rage and near misses at that. .
Old 19-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by S1rst

hear fuckin hear!!!!!
See my post above mate. Your going to see a higher % of cars than hgv's if your an hgv driver yourself, so it stands to reason that youll see more bad driving from cars.
When I was a van driver not stuck to a limiter the standard of car driving was far worse than the HGV's then.

Classic examples.
My right of way passing parked cars, people pull out on me and give me the look of blame
Car joining the motorway (which the slip road is a give way to the carriage way) I cannot move into middle lane because of traffic, but have gaps infront and behind me, the car wants to tuck under my wheelarch, before realising there are gaps, GOM car drivers.
Overtaking the car doing 55.4mph, when I get alongside the car speeds up to a thumping 64 mph, GOM car drivers.
People who decide to exit the motorway at the very last second cutting other drivers up and causing people to slam on, they had a sign a mile back telling them of the exit
Old 19-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Mixja

hear fuckin hear!!!!!
beg to differ mate, with the amount of foreign trucks now, id say i see almost as many trucks as cars... especially early doors.
but i see more prick car drivers than truckers who dont seem to have a clue what theyre doing, absoluetly amazes me how some people have got their licence....
altho if i had a quid for every time id seen a foreign truck with a smashed up car on the hard shoulder, id have a fuckin lot of quids!!!

fuck sat nav anyways, managed for the last 20 years without it, roads that arent meant to have hgv's down em are marked up, why would anyone drive down them just coz a fuckin talkin box tells em to, always managed to get where im goin without it...
Old 19-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Mixja

Overtaking the car doing 55.4mph, when I get alongside the car speeds up to a thumping 64 mph, GOM car drivers.
People who decide to exit the motorway at the very last second cutting other drivers up and causing people to slam on, they had a sign a mile back telling them of the exit
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hear fuckin hear!!!!!
Classic examples.
My right of way passing parked cars, people pull out on me and give me the look of blame
Car joining the motorway (which the slip road is a give way to the carriage way) I cannot move into middle lane because of traffic, but have gaps infront and behind me, the car wants to tuck under my wheelarch, before realising there are gaps, GOM car drivers.
Yes mate i see my fair share all that myself.

So to summarise, the standard of driving no matter what vehicle it is, is SHITE!
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People would just appreciate a bit of consideration and common sense being used a bit more, rather than causing a mass trail of chaos and/or destruction behind them, when they decide they want to gain 100 yards and 10 seconds of time, causing 50 cars behind them to lose a few minutes of time each
Ahh,
so the trucker who is stuck by time regulations has to just 'bide his time' as not to hold up the average car driver who may be out just for a drive, and can also accelerate/decellerate/make progress far more quickly and easily than the Truck can,
Soz, you win
Old 19-12-2007, 09:14 PM
djmillsy
Fife Radge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeE30
i like the quote about the biggest thing most people drive is the mouse on the desk...aint that the bloody truth....

Please people who are complaining or moaning or bitching, come drive one or even be a passenger for a week and see the other side before comenting......

dont know what lorries are like but buses are the same to drive all the people moaning at you lets see them driving it
Old 19-12-2007, 09:15 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People would just appreciate a bit of consideration and common sense being used a bit more, rather than causing a mass trail of chaos and/or destruction behind them, when they decide they want to gain 100 yards and 10 seconds of time, causing 50 cars behind them to lose a few minutes of time each
Ahh,
so the trucker who is stuck by time regulations has to just 'bide his time' as not to hold up the average car driver who may be out just for a drive, and can also accelerate/decellerate/make progress far more quickly and easily than the Truck can,
Soz, you win

Actually im maybe a bit biased on that cos every minute counts for me too when im on the road, and anyway my van doesnt perform much better than an hgv anyway. It takes me bloody ages to biuld my speed back up too when some numpty pulls out on me though.

If im in a car, it doesnt really bother me as much getting stuck behind them, but obviously its just as annoying when they pull out when your flying along at 70-80.
Old 19-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by djmillsy
Originally Posted by JoeE30
i like the quote about the biggest thing most people drive is the mouse on the desk...aint that the bloody truth....

Please people who are complaining or moaning or bitching, come drive one or even be a passenger for a week and see the other side before comenting......

dont know what lorries are like but buses are the same to drive all the people moaning at you lets see them driving it
Like i said, i can read road signs Dont need to be able to drive a hgv for that
Old 19-12-2007, 09:18 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ive always wondered if it would be such a bad thing if they did away with the 56mph limiters. Ok it may sound like madness at first, but if everyone was travelling at a simlar speed i think it may actually be safer for all as long as everyone drove properly.
Old 19-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Mixja

Ive always wondered if it would be such a bad thing if they did away with the 56mph limiters. Ok it may sound like madness at first, but if everyone was travelling at a simlar speed i think it may actually be safer for all as long as everyone drove properly.
dont have em in australia, seems to work for them...
can be driving along doing 80 in the fast lane and there's some big mutha in a peterbilt or something flashin ya out the way!!!
Old 19-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

REALLY

Try stopping 35 tonne at 70 mph, your result could be carnage.
I think they were pretty much unlimited (just shit slow) until around the mid/late 80's when someone came up with the stunning idea to limit them.

Oh, and people cant drive properly now so removing a limiter wont do fuck all differance
Old 19-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

yup they drive at some right speeds in oz i had a few pound past me
Old 19-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Mixja

REALLY

I think they were pretty much unlimited (just shit slow) until around the mid/late 80's when someone came up with the stunning idea to limit them.

Oh, and people cant drive properly now so removing a limiter wont do fuck all differance
altho to be fair, having a limiter, i bet its stopped a fuckin lot of truckers gettin nicked on 50mph dual carriageways...
Old 19-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

REALLY

altho to be fair, having a limiter, i bet its stopped a fuckin lot of truckers gettin nicked on 50mph dual carriageways...
Prob, but theres a camera on the A556, the roads a 60 and my mate got a ticket for doing 46 in his wagon from that camera, TWATS
Old 19-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Dave Parker
Advanced PassionFord User

weve got signs now in manchester telling you to ignore sat nav on some roads
Old 19-12-2007, 09:46 PM
ricky g
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

im 20 and will be taking my class 2 test next july. i cant wait, but one thing that annoys me already is the people that do slag off trucks.
for example some of you have said about the 2 laners on a motorway? if this is on a motorway and you are reading the road far enough ahead (as you should be) then you will get into the 3rd lane and breeze past. its the idiot's that watch the end of there bonnets and jump out at the last minute that are to blame for holding people up there.
as for the dual carridgways im yet to see a lorry overtaking and holding me up (not saying it doesnt happen)
also the people that moan about lorry's overtaking should answer this....would you sit behind the same car doing 70 (the legal motorway limit) or creep past if you could knowing you have deadlines to meet and need to get on? i know exactly what everyone would do!

i think everyone needs to respect eachother more on the road and realise without eachother none of the roads,motorways would be needed atall.

im finished babblin on now. lol
Old 19-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Only ever come unstuck due to arseholes in cars
I think this sums it up nicely
Old 20-12-2007, 06:27 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ricky g
im 20 and will be taking my class 2 test next july. i cant wait, but one thing that annoys me already is the people that do slag off trucks.
for example some of you have said about the 2 laners on a motorway? if this is on a motorway and you are reading the road far enough ahead (as you should be) then you will get into the 3rd lane and breeze past. its the idiot's that watch the end of there bonnets and jump out at the last minute that are to blame for holding people up there.
as for the dual carridgways im yet to see a lorry overtaking and holding me up (not saying it doesnt happen)
also the people that moan about lorry's overtaking should answer this....would you sit behind the same car doing 70 (the legal motorway limit) or creep past if you could knowing you have deadlines to meet and need to get on? i know exactly what everyone would do!

i think everyone needs to respect eachother more on the road and realise without eachother none of the roads,motorways would be needed atall.

im finished babblin on now. lol
i hope you read your answers before you write them down in the tes mate

we are complaining about roads that are 2 lanes with lorries taking them both up, and yes, there are motorways that have 2 lanes on them, just ask anyone who's been stuck behind them on the M26

what you do is limit certain lorries to 50 mph and they can't leave the first lane
then limit others to 60 mph and they are the ones allowed to overtake
Old 20-12-2007, 07:41 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
what you do is limit certain lorries to 50 mph and they can't leave the first lane
then limit others to 60 mph and they are the ones allowed to overtake
Sounds like a good idea in theory but you'd still get the 60.1mph ones trying to overtake the 60mph, and the 50.1mph trying to overtake the 50mph ones, taking forever and a day to get past, and a few dozen drivers behind getting pissed off.
Old 20-12-2007, 09:48 AM
dojj

but the 50mph limited ones wouldn't be allowed to overtake, simple eh
Old 20-12-2007, 09:50 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

When driving a HGV vehicle you have two think 1-2 miles down the road at all times and be mindful watching traffic conditions,road signs etc etc,

I have heard of the sat nav nightmare stories and would like to add at least one of those drivers failed the roadside breath test d+d in a HGV is fucking stupid because it can do a lot more damage than a car which on average weighs 1000 kgs (in any vehicle its fucking stupid)

But all of you on this site who give the HGV boys a ribbing all the time, go and take a fucking running jump, most of you can only just drive a car and probably not very well at that, just because you've got an old ford with a couple of hundred horse power you think you're Nigel Mansell, HGV driving is an art form and what fucks me off when I'm doing it is poxy little car drivers who are always in a rush to get home cos they have a thumb prints on their heads, so fuck off and when you have had a go at driving a vehicle that needs a hell of a lot of room them come back and tell me something, long n short of it is shut the fuck up

Luciano
Old 20-12-2007, 10:37 AM
dojj

just yesterday, i had an amazing experience

i was drivng down the motorway and this audi was zipping in and out of the lanes tring to gain a few places but was always getting stuck in a slower moving lane of traffic
eventually the road opened up and he put his foot down and was away, giving it fingers to me as i might have not pulled across as soon as i'd overtaken the guy in the middle lane

anyhoo, a bit further down and i've gone past him again when the traffic slowed down a bit more

there were these 2 lorries slip streaming each other and i was level with the head of the first lorry when the audi decided that he wanted to come off at that junction, so he slotted in behind me with his indicator on and was forcing one of these other lorries to get out of the way so he could come off

needless to say, the polish lorry just carried on slipstreaming his mate in front and the audi driver missed his turning

now, it wasn't me being deliberatly nasty, it wasn't the lorry driver being deliberatly nasty, it was the audi driver being a twat, but the venom he vented towards me flashing his lights, beeping his horn, waving his arms about was like he wanted me to pull over and get all fisticuffs, he properly sat on my arse up the motorway

not that i was bothered, i've got a safe-t bar on the back of the van that would have seriously fucked his bumper up but i also drive with my lights on all the time

so i pulled the rear fog light switch out and he dropped back as if he'd put the brakes on
and then i did it again
and he braked again
then i put the barkes on and he nearly drove underneath the polish lorry
then he stopped being a cunt and drove off at a rate of knots and i never saw him again

if it was you,
Old 20-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

big g i agree with you son! unless you have driven a hgv you are in no position to shout about the standard of hgv drivers. a car driver would never be able to understand why some of the things they have done on the road would be so dangerous and stupid because they have no idea or understanding of the way hgv lorries need to be driven and stopped. at the end of the day a car licence is the very basics of driving and there for have no right slating hgv drivers who have under gone the training and tests we have to do to get the hgv licence.
Old 20-12-2007, 04:23 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Slip roads is fun, I let lorries out but not cars, they have enough time to get up to speed and get in front, or tuck in behind.
If I change lanes they'll toe it up the inside, leaving me in lane 2 looking like a twat, and upsetting you lot.
Just don't look in the mirror, if they want to bounce off the side of the lorry it's their choice, most don't bother indicating anyway, yet expect you to be courteous to them.
Old boy the other day joining M3, about a mile of slip road, same speed as me all along it, and we were side by side as it ended. He stopped on hard shoulder, then put indicator on, then pulled into lane 1 in first gear.
Sounds good to me, why would you want to adjust your speed to join the motorway safely?
Old 20-12-2007, 04:32 PM
dojj

i've got a class 2 plus my coach license so i think i'm in a good position to participate in this discusion

when i was a bus driver, if you were in my way i hit you, simple as
i was not prepared to injure 90 passengers in some cases just because you decided not to look where you were going, the same way as if i'm in the road and you decided you awnt to be in the spame space i ccupied at the time youwould not get me to yeild (resluting in one womans 406 that i peeled like a sardine tin when she decided that she was going to move into the bus lane before the end to make sure i didn't get past her in the traffic)

don't get me wrong, i never drove like a cunt on purpuose and if i made a mistake i held my hands up and said sorry, but you also forget that large vehicles tend to have a better view of the road ahead and so can judge what potential prolems can occour a long time before car drivers can

so we tend to slow down and switch lanes before there is a problem

what i can't understand is why some lorry drivers are just pure and simple cunts on the road

there was one time the lorry moved across to let another lorry out ontot he motorway and i thought he'd do the same, stay out while i joined, he couldn't miss me, but no, he moved in again, and he bibbed his horn to tell me he was coming through
so i got past him and he was all "wanker" out the window so i stayed exactly where i was, just behind the lorry that he was trying to overtake
he was an empty flatbed artic and the guy in front was laden down it about 300 tons of wood and couldn't make it past 50 mph
and i stayed there, and i stayed there
and this guy was getting seriously pissed off
as were loads of drivers behind him because he couldn't move out of that lane
and we carried on for about 6 or 7 miles before i had to take my turn off, at which point i sped of to get in front of the lorry that was holding him up

now if he'd have held his hand up and said "sorry" i would have waved back and been on my way, but he gave it the wanker out the window so i took advantage of the fact i was in a quicker vehicle than his

he may have been the only cunt on the road at that time i i might have seriously pissed off loads of innocent drivers behind him, but if i want to do 50 mph in the middle lane of the motorway then he can'tr get past me in the outside lane so he's fucked and only had himself to blame
i didn't brake test him at all even though he wanted to get out from behind this other lorry, i just kept pace with it

if i was in the coach and soemthing happened like that i would have given the other driver cheery wave and contnued on my way if he felt i'd done him a wrong, but i wouldn't have cut him off in the first instnace which led to the problems

i know we have gone off on a massive detour from the satnav point of origins but if we were more accomodating on the roads to our fellow users we'd all get along much better
Old 20-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i had the same thing a good few times. we know cars are quicker so why dont they speed up and get in front if there is room in front. but no they would rather sit beside you and risk getting squashed. have you ever tried over taking a slow car just for the twat to speed up once your almost past it, just for the idiot to slow down again once you have dropped back in.
Old 20-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

have any of you other truck drivers tried over taking a slow car just for the twat to speed up once your almost past then slow down again once you have dropped back in. its so fucking irritating.
Old 20-12-2007, 05:20 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mar_k
have any of you other truck drivers tried over taking a slow car just for the twat to speed up once your almost past then slow down again once you have dropped back in. its so fucking irritating.
thats revenge for hogging two lanes
Old 20-12-2007, 05:24 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mar_k
Only several times every day
I just indicate and drift across, they get the message.
Had one like that today, surprise surprise a woman.

Best woman driver I had, was indicating left, outside a fuck off great pub, in a beer lorry.
Had to swing out as entrance is close to road, and as I turned in checked NS mirror (rare I bet) and there she was coming up the inside, and beeped at me
Would have driven over the top of her bonnet, should have done in hindsight, but we're on task and finish
Rest of traffic behind was quite a way back, could see what I was doing, bizzarely enough

Quick Reply: Is it ALL lorry drivers or????????????????