General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 16-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster

Right never thought in a million years I would be saying this but I had planned to change my Audi A4 next year and get an S4. A bit of poking around has revealed I could get a Boxster for about the same money.

I know I'll be looking at the bottom end of the market and an S will be out the question. Anybody have info on what to look for, common problems, servicing costs, parts prices.

Anybody want to try and sway me either way?

Still need to get it past the wife as well
Old 16-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steve im SOOO tempted due to the prices ive seen em for,,, its got a seat for my little one and the missus ALREADY has a oyster card

porkie is the man to speak to though,, i was gonna sell my cossie to buy a boxster and the missus agreed to it 15 mins before we discovered the cunt was nicked,,,,,, yes i did suspect her at first

they ment to be slow though,,, but what do people class as slow ???
Old 16-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I know it won't be as quick as my S2 and I used to rip the shit out of them. Having driven a friends one last Summer though I've really become quite fond of them . It's a bit of a poor mans Porsche but I'm just so tempted, especially with the FRST being sold on in the New Year.

They are an experience to drive and loads of fun, it doesn't really matter if it isn't the quyickest thing in the world.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold mine last week, just didnt feel any love for it

Saying that, I reckon if I'd have bought one before the evo then I would have liked it much more.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:25 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just drive it if you have fun, then what difference does it make what they look like, lees looks cool from the pictures ive seen of it.
What price are these nowadays out of curiousity?
Old 16-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

AJ - I considered the Evo but although I can afford the car the running costs and maintanence would cripple me.

jhm - Found a few about the £9k mark
Old 16-12-2007, 07:30 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

All I know about Boxters is that, if all roads were roundabouts, you'd smile constantly....
Old 17-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

This is getting more an more tempting as I've just had a couple of insurance quotes and it looks like it'll be about the £550 mark to insure with my business cover. That's only £150 more than my current A4
Old 17-12-2007, 11:45 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

my friend has one of the very early boxsters, the 2.5 model.

its a VERY nice car to drive, not that fast but with 200bhp it isnt slow either. the engine sounds gorgeous and the build quality is very good.

his is silver, with grey leather which unfortunately means a grey dash, but if you can find one with a black leather interior it comes with black trim and a black dash which IMO looks much better.

if i had 10k to to spend on a 2 seater, i wouldnt really choose anything else to be honest, theres alot out there for sale, and alot are dogs but there are a few good ones out there too

as for reliability they are pretty good, they have been known for some enigne problems, such as HG's going and cracked blocks but i'm not too clued up on this so maybe worth asking a few questions on a site like pistonheads first
Old 17-12-2007, 11:57 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ive been looking at them as well mate since a friend bought a 3.2S a couple of months ago. My only concern is it being a 2 seater . I'm swaying towards another DC5!!
Old 17-12-2007, 12:02 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Obviously Lee is the man to ask about these sort of things.

Lots of valid points, and for the money, there really is little out there for better value. 10k buys an S2000, but I'd rather have the Porsche.

Poor man's 911, common, hairdresser car etc etc - none of those matter, as it's simply a good purchase. Plus, you will be grinning like an absolute goon in the summer!

Never thought I'd see the day though Steve! Next thing, you'll be telling me you've bough some sort of 4x4 for when the kids arrive!
Old 17-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfoster
ive been looking at them as well mate since a friend bought a 3.2S a couple of months ago. My only concern is it being a 2 seater . I'm swaying towards another DC5!!

That is pretty much the only reason I haven't realy looked at one.. 2 seater as my ony car just isn't practical enough.
Old 17-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Obviously Lee is the man to ask about these sort of things.

Lots of valid points, and for the money, there really is little out there for better value. 10k buys an S2000, but I'd rather have the Porsche.

Poor man's 911, common, hairdresser car etc etc - none of those matter, as it's simply a good purchase. Plus, you will be grinning like an absolute goon in the summer!

Never thought I'd see the day though Steve! Next thing, you'll be telling me you've bough some sort of 4x4 for when the kids arrive!
I was going to ask Lee for a little info on these a bit nearer the time as I don't want to muck him about and then find circumstances have changed and it's no longer viable (especially as a lot of my friends seem to be getting their partners pregnant).

I've alread had the piss taken by half of my mates I've mentioned it to and to be honest I'm not bothered as all the ones that have taken the piss oddly enough all want a go.

Steady on mate, mind you there is more chance of me getting a 4x4 than me getting a haircut
Old 17-12-2007, 12:34 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know of any downsides to a porsche boxster!
great car, cheap, never go wrong, drive amazingly

get in one,,, drive it, and im sure you'll like them! they drive nicer than a 911 aswell
Old 17-12-2007, 01:08 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i used to be a big boxster basher until my mate bought a 2.7 and i love it, not the biggest amount of room inside but sure is fun the 3.2 can only be better

J