General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

McLaren. Its all over

Search this Thread

Old 13-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLaren. Its all over

McLaren publically apologise. Then admit that the 2008 car DID have Ferrari data incorporated. But they will now not run those components.

http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/pd...SC-members.pdf

The FIA then issue a press release

"In the light of McLaren's public apology and undertakings, the FIA President [Max Mosley] has asked the members of the World Motor Sport Council for their consent to cancel the hearing scheduled for 14 February 2008 and, in the interests of the sport, to consider this matter closed.
Game on for next year now
Old 13-12-2007, 09:55 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well we all knew why they were so quick didnt we.. Bring on next year without any cheating.
Old 13-12-2007, 11:01 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well it was pretty obviouse wasnt it?!

would like to see what hamilton can do in an honest car, bring on next year
Old 14-12-2007, 07:35 PM
edd
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,1895...972866,00.html

and the funniest post

"Some Cream With That Humble Pie
It's almost too difficult to type through the tears of laughter streaming down my face, but here goes.

Mr. Ron Dennis, sir, I think it's time to pack your bags and leave this once majestic sport. Formula 1 has no place for characters such as yourself. For years I have watched you lodge protest after protest against other teams (any other team) for even the smallest of technical infringements.

Whenever I have heard a team being investigated for possibly running illegal parts, it has never surprised me to find your name mentioned in the same breath. "Mr Integrity" indeed! Do you really expect us to believe, Mr Integrity, that in the most technically advanced sport in the known universe, your investigative team were unable to discover rampant cheating or even a few emails? Really?

I must confess, I am no McLaren fan, but even I started to feel a little sorry for them and frustrated by what seemed to be a witch hunt. Turns out the old guys in charge were right. Which of course explains why the verdict on McLaren's 2008 car has been delayed. The repercussions of this are enormous, and I for one hope that McLaren are in next year's championship, even if it's just to watch them get trounced by the likes of Ferrari, Renault and BMW. Perhaps it is time for Mercedes to buy the remaining shares in McLaren and put their own personnel in charge, and Ron can retire to his rocking chair and relieve us of the whining.

Todt may longer be in charge of Ferrari F1, but I imagine the smile on his face must be so smug right now and I can almost see the two fingered salute to all the McLaren sympathisers. Forze Ferrari. (And I'm allowed to say that, I've been supporting them since I was old enough to form my own opinion, long before the Schumi era.)
Warren, South Africa"

fuck mclaren i used to be a fan but never again cheating cunts.
Old 15-12-2007, 09:30 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the best bit of news was that they said they weren't going to inspect their car for 2008

but maclarean had already said that the 3 bits they were testing which may have been looked into more closely were not going to be produced or used on the car

if that's not a techinically wriggled admission of guilt then i don't know what is

the fia have let them off the hook, but by doing so, they let them have enough rope to hang themselves with

it's a pity that one of the best drivers in the current crop will be forever sullied by the fact that he wasn't as good as they all though he was because he had 2 teams worth of car to drive
Old 15-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by dojj
the fia have let them off the hook, but by doing so, they let them have enough rope to hang themselves with
You call being fined Ł50 Million and being thrown out of the constructors championship being let off the hook!?

it's a pity that one of the best drivers in the current crop will be forever sullied by the fact that he wasn't as good as they all though he was because he had 2 teams worth of car to drive
Bollocks mate! If Lewis is as good as everyone thinks he'll do fine, if not then all the people getting on the hype of Lewis Hamilton obviously are media fed idiots!

As has been said, roll on a fair 2008 and a straight motor racing fight for both titles, should be a much better season and publiscised for the right reasons this year!

Only 3 months to go, can't fucking wait till March!
Old 15-12-2007, 11:21 AM
edd

Originally Posted by Dan
media fed idiots!
thats about the long and short of it.
Old 15-12-2007, 12:11 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Dan
You call being fined Ł50 Million and being thrown out of the constructors championship being let off the hook!?
yes, because if you'd included the rest of it you'll have seen that they were going to scrutineer the car that maclaren put before them and if anything on it looked like it was ferarri stuff they wern't going to let them compete, so they would have lost a lot more than just the Ł50 mill, and the end bill was closer to Ł15mill due to them losing their money because they dind't get any constructoers points

Originally Posted by Dan
Bollocks mate! If Lewis is as good as everyone thinks he'll do fine, if not then all the people getting on the hype of Lewis Hamilton obviously are media fed idiots!

As has been said, roll on a fair 2008 and a straight motor racing fight for both titles, should be a much better season and publiscised for the right reasons this year!

Only 3 months to go, can't fucking wait till March!
if he's crap next season they'll blame the lack of fernando's input, the same way as he tailed off at the end of the last seaon when the eyebrow stopped talking to him
they won't say it's because of the car will they, that would be tantamount to admiting guilt

and because you don't have monobrow int he team you can't even judge like for like talent wise because they will obviously push lewis to the top of the pile and the co driver will be relegated to second place, much lke schuy was always number one and the other driver was number 2, they won't suddenly elevate lewis to the top, they'll word it much differently and more subtley than that
ferarri can get away with making a number 1 driver with schumy because of his experience, and everyone knew he was the best on the grid, maclaran can't do that or else they might find it difficult to ratin a driver for the 2009 season
Old 15-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

maclaran can't do that or else they might find it difficult to ratin a driver for the 2009 season
Mclaren have just signed Heikki Kovalainen on a 'long-term contract' so no worries there then!

I honestly can't see Mclaren blaming the lack of Alonso being Hamilton's problem if he fails to impress next year!
Alonso during the 2007 season was quoted as saying that he bought half a second a lap in pace to the Mclaren, which seriously put the backs up of his pit team and mechanics! thick monobrow cunt! I bet Mclaren don't lose that 'half a second' next year to Renault!

I know the FIA were going to scrutineer the car, but Mclaren FINALLY doing the right thing has now got them where they need to be!

Don't forget that Renault have also been found guilty of another 'Spygate' row over possesing Mclaren technical data, it's just that they haven't received a fine at all! Why? Because Ferrari are utter utter cunts and wanted Mclaren hammered as much as possible, where as Mclaren Chief Executive Martin Whitmarsh said they don't want such a harsh penalty imposed on anyone else!
Old 15-12-2007, 12:49 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

You're all naive if you think Mclaren are the only guilty party.

Ferarri have cheated this season, Renault have cheated this season too, industrial espionage is a huge part of F1, all the teams invest a goo ddeal of resources in finding out what the others are doing, only 'some' of what goes on has come to light. They ALL act in the same manner.

2008 will be no different to 2007, 2006, 1985......... etc etc

Bring on another exciting action packed nailbiter please, much better entertainment than the years of Shuey's 'dominance'
Old 15-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Mondeo Man That's the thing Matt, Ferrari supposedly used a flexible floorpan in the opening race of 2007 in Melbourne!

What was done about that? FUCK ALL IIRC!
Old 15-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Dan

If you're missing it. You'll like this video then. From the FIA Prize giving Gala in Monaco last Friday. Love the Alonso/Hamilton Radio section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sl5S...eature=related

However, Im going to counter 2 of your points.

1/2 a second is probably an exaggeration. But be under no illusions Nando did bring crucial direction to the teams development. 2 World championships doesnt "just happen" becasue you're a good pedaller. You have to lead a team in the right direction. Lewis is good, I have no doubt but he lacks either decent development mileage or team leader experience. ITs no coincidence that when Nando stopped helping him mid season Lewis' pace dropped off markedly. I gather that several senior engineers are actually disapointed he's gone. They want to win just as badly, and deep down they know Lewis isnt quite there yet. He's also meant to be quite a nice guy, his determination sometimes comes off as arrogance and this has been seized upon by the (British) media to make Lewis look innocent and Nando to look like a bastard. Problem ultimately is that he fell out with Ron and Martin. Not McLaren as an entity.

Flexi Floor.
The F2007 had a fully scrutinized and legal floor. The FIA themselves had even signed it off as legal. (There was a loophole in the rules) McLaren (and I beleive Renault) both approached the FIA with an interpretation of hte rules that menat it was actually illegal. After considering the teams views they agreed and the fleix floor was outlawed from the next race.

Matt (Mondeo Man)

To be fair Newey said more or less the same thing recently. But theres a crucial difference. Stepneygate was "real time" information. i.e Updated regualarly as Ferrari changed the car throughthe early part of the season. McLaren did process this information.

The Renault information was relatively out of date so had no real use to change Renaults car/strategies. And in contrast they admitted liability as soon as the FIA were on to them. Whereas Ron said there was no evidence that he knew about (which I personally beleive as they would deliberately of kept him out of the loop) But that enraged the FIA as ultimately they had been lied to.

To go back to Neweys point and yours about espionage. Its not quite that intense. McLaren/Ferrari et al dont have people breaking/hacking in and copying files. They do however employ snappers to take as many detailed pics of the competition when the cars are at events though. So called "public domain"

Overall, Im glad a deal was brokered (Matt Bishop of all people) It means they can all go racing next year without a shadow hanging over the sport. Whether Ron Dennis will be enjoying the Melbourne sunshine is open to debate!
Old 15-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

so its either massa or kimi for the championship 2008 then
Old 16-12-2007, 07:26 AM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr2i-carl
Well we all knew why they were so quick didnt we.. Bring on next year without any cheating.
Re-read the post mate - 2008 car, not 2007 car.

JJ
Old 16-12-2007, 09:19 AM
edd

Originally Posted by Jay.
so its either massa or kimi for the championship 2008 then
well it wont be massa will it...
Old 16-12-2007, 10:29 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Dan
maclaran can't do that or else they might find it difficult to ratin a driver for the 2009 season
Mclaren have just signed Heikki Kovalainen on a 'long-term contract' so no worries there then!

I honestly can't see Mclaren blaming the lack of Alonso being Hamilton's problem if he fails to impress next year!
Alonso during the 2007 season was quoted as saying that he bought half a second a lap in pace to the Mclaren, which seriously put the backs up of his pit team and mechanics! thick monobrow cunt! I bet Mclaren don't lose that 'half a second' next year to Renault!

I know the FIA were going to scrutineer the car, but Mclaren FINALLY doing the right thing has now got them where they need to be!

Don't forget that Renault have also been found guilty of another 'Spygate' row over possesing Mclaren technical data, it's just that they haven't received a fine at all! Why? Because Ferrari are utter utter cunts and wanted Mclaren hammered as much as possible, where as Mclaren Chief Executive Martin Whitmarsh said they don't want such a harsh penalty imposed on anyone else!
but when your "star" player is too busy signing books than actually taking part in pre season shakedowns and showing the world what he can do it does make a lot of people wonder if he's not going because he's actually not as good as we were led to believe
Old 16-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

ah dojj i dont think for one minute ron dennis will be letting boy wonder off to much testing
Old 16-12-2007, 10:58 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Dan

but when your "star" player is too busy signing books than actually taking part in pre season shakedowns and showing the world what he can do it does make a lot of people wonder if he's not going because he's actually not as good as we were led to believe

Do you really think he has a choice in what he does......Mclaren own him

He only goes where Ron lets him go, if you believe otherwise then you are as naive as everyone who thinks only Mclaren and Renault 'cheated' this season
Old 16-12-2007, 10:58 AM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol.. well being as they are on about next years car. and not about the 2007
season, it made no difference to how quick they were. lol

odd that you dislike the best british team in the sport at the time. lol
Old 16-12-2007, 10:59 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by pee vee

lol.. well being as they are on about NEXT years car. and not about the 2007
season, it made no difference to how quick they were. lol

odd that you pretend your dads car is your own. lol

Old 16-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

do u know what tho i think bmw might spoil the fun tho next season
Old 16-12-2007, 06:09 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Jay.
ah dojj i dont think for one minute ron dennis will be letting boy wonder off to much testing
which just goes to show that either they don't want anyone to see their car or see how quick.slow their drivers are

everything under wraps until the first race of the season i think wil lbe the name of the game, and now that they have said they are not going to be sueing certain parts on their cars i think it was a case of not going out with a dodgy car and getting thrown out of the season altogether