General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

me, the accidental hero ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default me, the accidental hero ?

i've been thinking about this for the whole night and i still can't work out what exactly happened, but here's the story

last night, at about 7.15 or so, i was driving home from work
it was absolutly lashing it down and, as a reslut, we wern't going that fast, probably 25/30 mph tops
as i drove past ealing hospital i could see soemone had walked out into the road, but with a bus lane and 3 lanes as well on the dual carriageway it's a wide enough bit of road
i was in the middle lane, ther was a car in front of me and there were 3 cars alongside me on the outside lane

the person walked out from the first/second lane line right into the path of the car in front of me
he swerved out of the way but not soon enough and this person got caught by the side of the car and went down like a spinning sack of shit right in front of me

so i did what anyone would do (no, i didn't drive right over them just to see what would happen) and pulled across both the middle and outside lanes to protect whoever had just been knocked over because no one would have seen them laying in the middle of the road

i got out and dialed 999 and told them what happened

in the mean time, the driver of the car that hit her (an old indian guy), another driver (african man), a couple at the bus stop (indian) and another woman at the bus stop (white) all crowded round to sheild the 80 year old lady from the rain and traffic

i then comandered a bus to pull up in the first lane to stop everyone who was drivng past and stopping to have a look to find out what happened

effectivly i sealed off 3 lanes and left only the bus lane open fo traffic

umbrellas were produced and coats to cover the lady and, being a bit of a first aid type, i told them not to move her and to keep her talking while an ambulance was dispatched

considering this was probably a whole 100 yards from the main accident and emergency building entrance to ealing hospital, it still took the best part of 25 minutes for an emergecny responce car to arrive
follwoed about 10 minutes later by an ambulance

all the while i stood there either directing traffic or holding the umbrella or talking to the bus driver or talking to the ambulance staff

and then the funny thing happened

the guy who hit her said that he hadn't hit her
the old lady said she'd fallen over
the ambulance guy said "nothing we can do, you did your best"

i'm sure that he's seen more than his fair share of these sorts of incidents and pursuing it wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference, but getting hit by a car and falling over are 2 totaly seperate things

i came home and put all my clothes into the tumble drier and had a bath
my jacket was soaked, my trousers were soaked, my shoes kept my feet dry and my jacket kept my shirt dry, but my hat was stuck to my head and i was doing a fine impersonasion of a drowned rat

anyway, i thought i would like to share my evening's events with you, just in case something similar happens and you don't know what to do
Old 01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by EsCosRacer
good man, would like to have someone like you arrive when i get run over
don't get run over, the old lady was a proper mess and had a fiar sized bit of her scalp missing from the right hand side

but i didn't know what else to do other than try and help

god knows what would have happened if she'd been more seriously injured though, i can't stand the sight of blood
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well done chap
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

well done mate.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Little Spikey
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done sir
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
PastyKing
Advanced PassionFord User

good samaritan dojj
Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

was she ok then?

well done, your my hero
Old 01-12-2007, 07:27 PM
rsvan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

thats a shit stretch of road and a fair few been killed along there, many years ago i recovered 2 cars that had killed people there within 6 months of each other

well done
Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair play doji, well done
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a question Dojj.

Did you not do what any model citizen in today's society would do ........

.... And help yourself to her purse?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Good on you mate
Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
c.fogarty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Nice to see in todays society of 'Every man for his self' and the age old spirit of community just a faded memory, that some people still have the rare compulsion to help out a stranger in need.

Sad that it seems now'days people show thier best only in the worst situations.

Perfect illustration of todays attitude is the advice given to women under attack to scream 'Fire' rather than 'Help/Rape' as proven that people are far more likely to come to aid, showing today's 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. Largely due to the PC madness where people defending there property or coming to someones aid, faces more severe charges than the scum who caused it.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 PM
mk2cortina2lt
Virgin

Im new on this site so Hello

I live down the road from the Hospital, and thats a bad strech of road. You stopped three lanes and potentially saved the old girl from getting run over while she lay there.

PAT ON THE BACK. WELL DONE.

Like said b4, good to know theres still good people out there helping a stranger.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
dojj

Big G
we used her purse to prop her head, so i thik she would have noticed that it had gone missing

rsvan
i don't know why they removed the speed camera that was there just before the hospital as well, it slowed everyone down fairly well once they knew it as there

c.fogarty
that's what struck me as well, everyone came to help, it was only those people who were in their cars (other than the afriacan guy) who were causing more hassle by their rubber necking and hoking their horn wanting me to move
i would have loved to have seen someone try and get out of their car to have a word, they were too cosy and tucked up

mk2cortina2lt
she looked like a dustbin bag just flapping baout in the street, if i hadn't of stopped where i did the traffic behind would have torn her to shreads

i might do a little map
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

nice one Dojj

should have slapped the guy in front then he would have prob remembered hitting the old lady.

On another note, that speed camera there byt the hospital - i know the guy that changes the film in there

Accidently got caught out in the cossie a few years back in that stretch of road - slammed the brakes at the last minute and locked up across two lanes - would have made a great pic