General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How do mappers map a high powered FWD car on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low and behold Andy Forrest does not own a Rolling Road.

As I have already said.....
Old 01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim
great sleeper and i for 1 wont be lookin for him pmsl

Tim

I thought a sleeper was something that looked standard and went like a train, like Daryls camper, not something that looks like its got a fookin canon poking out the front and is about to blow you off the road, quite literally.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C10SSE
Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Exactly my point.

I still have a clean license and I didn't risk anyones life whilst preparing my car for the recent Thrash.
Can you prove any lives were put at risk preparing any of the other cars that were at the same Thrash as yours?? Sounds a pretty bold statement... not a dig just interested as a concerened road user
Well, you do the maths. During mapping we like to map in 4th really, but certainly 3rd and you need to see the whole rev range out to map successfully, but also ideally load points need to be reached and stabilised to be able to map accurately.

Now, my RST will do 100mph in 3rd and 135mph in 4th, just as any Cossie will I reckon.

Thats before I start talking about concentrating on the road as opposed to watching AFR gauges etc.
So are you accusing any of the tuners of doing this mapping on a public road of of doing live on a sealed surface, surely this live mapping can be done not just on the queens highway but also within private grounds that other public road users aren't on??

If you have concerns about people mapping at such excessive speeds on a public road surely you should take your proof to the authorities?
What a stupid thing to say. We were discussing SAFETY, you tell me me many cars on this forum that were not mapped on the dyno, were mapped on a private road? AFPMSL. I'd say a handful tops.

My car was totally mapped, start to finish on the Dyno. Driveability, the lot. The map hasn't been touched on the road and it idles at Lambda 1.0, cruises at between 0.96 and Lambda 1.0 and isn't reliant upon closed loop to do so. How many road mapped cars can do that? Not very many Fords, I can assure you from what I have seen.
Sorry, I didnt realise it was such a stupid thing I asked, obviously not being a tuner or indeed anything at all to do with the motor industry I wouldnt know either way.

Sorry I sounded so inferior to what other people obviously know.
I'm sorry if I misread what you said, it sounded as though you were getting at me.

As for that link to the 'dentistmapped' site. You know that Sam is a DENTIST by trade? His mapping takes place on the road? You'll find that everyone that defends mapping on the road doesn't have a Dyno and doesn't want to spend the Ł50k+ to get one, of course they will defend their methods to the hilt. Although that article was written by Andy Forrest, who speak of a 15% variation in RR figures across the country, remember that you have the shonky old knackered RR's dirtying those figures up. I bet there isn't 15% variation between the countries better RR's and decent engine dyno's.

Gary's Evo makes 700-715bhp on our Dyno Dynamics RR and recently made just under 700bhp on Clive Atthowes Dastek RR.

We spent 2 years mapping cars on the road until we started getting some serious cars to map, like a 500bhp CA18 200SX and a 500bhp Pulsar etc. So we invested in a Rolling Road and since then have looked back only to laugh about our road mapping days and how shit they were by comparison. I can understand companies not wanting to invest in a Dyno, IMO it's ludicrous. There isn't enough of an advantage to mapping the car in so-called 'real' conditions to outweigh the fact that we can optimise the timing and fuelling on the RR by measuring/comparing the results. Helps if you know the meaning of the word OPTIMISE?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Fagin

So, with that being the case and ONCE AGAIN I SAY THIS CONVERSATION IS ABOUT SAFETY, can you honestly tell me that he hasn't driven his Subaru at speeds in excess of 140mph on the roads? OK, maybe his Subaru is mapped on a runway, fair point, but does he map ALL his high-powered cars on the runway?

Even if he is safe, he is one exception from many many tuners that do map high powered cars on the road who are either compromising performance by not tuning the WHOLE map or being dangerous by tuning the WHOLE map.

Surely that makes sense?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
COS 22
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

to be honest reading this post it all seems a bit daft talking about health and safety issues for our mega tuned cars !

they are all FAR TOO FAST for public highways and we all know it !

just cos somebody now has a rolling road and says other tuners are doing wrong is a bit hypocritical imo

we have all done silly speeds at one point
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry correct me if i am wrong and believe if im wrong i will swallow my words, but didnt christian loose his licence for racing on a public highway a few yrs back.................if so then this whole conversation is a tiny bit hyporitical int it???

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Matt J
Originally Posted by JoeE30
Sorry correct me if i am wrong and believe if im wrong i will swallow my words, but didnt christian loose his licence for racing on a public highway a few yrs back.................if so then this whole conversation is a tiny bit hyporitical int it???

it would only be hypocritical if he still did it, I'm sure he learnt his lesson and doesnt take as many risks these days.
Exactly.

I won't profess that I never speed. However, if I ever did, it would be at a time when the risk to others is minimal. I am a stickler for staying under the speed limits in residential area's and really only have the occassional blow-out very late at night when theres no-one else around.

However, even that is VERY different to trying to map a car on the road. There is alot more to mapping than just driving the car. If you have the benefit of data-logging it is easier, but its still fucking hard and how many Ford's run systems that have decent reliable data-logging? Even with data-logging, you must do a full run, all the way to the rev-limit at each load (boost) point, review the data, make adjustments, then do it again. However, even if you are data-logging, you really should be checking AFR 'live' aswell as using det-cans etc incase you run lean or run into det. Now imagine doing that in a 350bhp RST or a 600bhp Cossie, it all happens too fast and too brutally.

If you consider that a map is usually a 20 by 20 table, so 400 sites, often Load vs RPM and really, you have to visit each and every one of the sites that the car will see on the road and even force it to some of the sites that you will rarely see, if ever, just incase. On the dyno, we can make the retarder control the physical speed and use the throttle to control the load and visit EVERY single site that you will ever see on the road and many sites that you will probably never see and map them to virtual perfection. It sometimes takes 10-15 seconds of fine adjustment and stabilisation before you can set that particular cell, how on earth do you do that on the road for maybe 200 or more cell-sites?

The answer is, you can't. It's based largely on a best-guess and very often a conservative one too. I have asked many many times how the long established road-mappers operate and none have answered this question, so I am left to conclude the answer that made us stop road-mapping. That it just isn't possible to safely map a car to its full potential, while not risking your life, that of your passengers and those of other road users/pedestrians.

I am willing to be re-educated........
Old 01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
mikee_rs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I not an expert on this subject but i no when grove garage map cars mark drives and ahmed does his thing so he can give full attention
Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well this argument can go on for ever i myself think live mapping on the road is best but i am sure the same amount think r/r is the best way to go
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

i know for a fact some tuners go out very late at night when theres no traffic and do the high speed runs

i agree i think it is dodgy but i wouldnt have my car done any other way. i view it like this say your making a part in my case for a caterpillar and you take measurements and make it half the time it doesnt fit and needs minor altering whereas if its built on the machine it will fit first time. same with mapping set up on rollers will be good but not quite right imo as it hasnt been done in real life conditions ie made to fit.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neilm
Originally Posted by Tim
great sleeper and i for 1 wont be lookin for him pmsl

Tim

I thought a sleeper was something that looked standard and went like a train, like Daryls camper, not something that looks like its got a fookin canon poking out the front and is about to blow you off the road, quite literally.

i was lookin from the back pmsl

Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with Christian and have often thought, while watching Northampton Motorsport mapping my Anglia, how could you ever do this on the road, the car is held flat out in 4th probably doing 120-125mph long enough to check fuelling etc

It must be a nightmare trying to get a long enough run, without any traffic in the way to be able to hold the car flat out long enough to ensure the fueling is bang on.

I think the most sensible is to have the car set up so its 95% there on the rollers and then 'trimmed' on the road for 'drivability' also there is no allowance for wind resistance on rolling roads and the extra load that puts on the car.

I can see where Christian is coming from, public roads are not really the place for holding cars flat out for any period of time in this day and age, it only takes one numpty to pull out in front of you while you are doing 140 and its good night vienna.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Fagin

So, with that being the case and ONCE AGAIN I SAY THIS CONVERSATION IS ABOUT SAFETY, can you honestly tell me that he hasn't driven his Subaru at speeds in excess of 140mph on the roads? OK, maybe his Subaru is mapped on a runway, fair point, but does he map ALL his high-powered cars on the runway?

Even if he is safe, he is one exception from many many tuners that do map high powered cars on the road who are either compromising performance by not tuning the WHOLE map or being dangerous by tuning the WHOLE map.

Surely that makes sense?
Christian,

I am not talking about safety.... thats a no brainer, but my posts are in response to what you have said about RR vs Road mapping. You seem to forget you have made a number of statements on this thread about this specific thing, which I would whole heartedly argue are incorrect. Not so much outright, but certainly from a given level. I am not having a dig in all this, but just making comment on what you have stated.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

neilm - As you say, once you reach a certain cell-site, it takes a few seconds for everything to stabilise. After all, when mapping, you are adjusting injector open times, but measuring the results at a sensor which is, at best, in the back of the turbo, but could be in the end of the tailpipe.

Also, most managements systems 'Interpolate' too, which means that as you cross from one cell-site to the next (in any direction) those cell-site's will start to influence the one that you are attemting to adjust. This makes things even more tricky. We are able to control actual speed in increments of 0.25mph and load is controlled as precisely as fine throttle movements will allow. Dyno Dynamics are reviewing their software too, to give us even finer resolution than 0.25mph too, because we do sometimes find that we can't hit the very centre of a load-site perfectly and can therefore not be sure that there is not 'Interpolation' influencing the value we are working on.

We can also control acceleration rates, which is how fast the car is allowed to accelerate, this can simulate the types of conditions to describe. People have opinions on RR's for power measuring purposes and there have been comments made about cars not making the boost that they do on the road etc, but if you slow the acceleration rate down, it certainly will make the same boost that it does on the road. However, using this method for power runs is a different subject altogether, but its important not to judge an RR's ability as a mapping tool based on how good/bad it is in other area's.

Once we have finished mapping a car, we can carry out slow acceleration runs to check for knock/det. Because of the length of time the car takes to pass each load point, it is quite demanding on the car and it is possible to make absolutely sure that its safe in this way.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

not saying all R/R are the same,but i've been on three and they have never put the car under full load like it is on the road,my car seems "slugish" and makes boost later in the rev range,and never hits full boost.........
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Having mapped a few cars on the road now i would say you can do a pretty good job. I get a mate to drive and also make use of some good datalogging software.

However i am confident i could eek out a bit more power at part loads and complete the whole map in probably half the time on a RR.

Unless you can afford ion sensing equipmment for PCP measuring the RR will be the best way for optimising ignition at all load/speed sites.

I would love one but alas cannot justify the Ł25k cost or even Ł600 monthly payment for a two wheel drive DD RR. The there is the problem of finding suitable premises with a 3 phase supply.

So i will have to carry on mapping on the road.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Garage19
I would love one but alas cannot justify the Ł25k cost or even Ł600 monthly payment for a two wheel drive DD RR. The there is the problem of finding suitable premises with a 3 phase supply.
The DD stuff only needs a 3-pin plug.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

You need to know how to drive a fwd car with that much power. In order to do that you need to have the right setup aswell as the engine. I remember a few years back I told Mark Shead to hang onto my old Fiesta and take it home as it would a an ideal time to do the cold start maps in the early morning as it was freezing at that time of the year. Mark agreed and sorted out the cold start maps to perfection then he decided to do some more mapping however on his own...soon after I got a call from him saying "fuck it you NEED two people to do this I just can't do it alone" Then with the case of 2 people you need to ensure that the driver has the balls to keep the throttle open 100% when needed as it could have a critical effect on the engine at a later day. The mappers can see when people start of come off throttle especially when aproaching bends or entering certain gears and comming onto alot of boost. So far we've done a pretty good job considering the power of my old car. You have to bear in mind that it done 178.8mph easily at Bruningthorpe using 1.6 bar of boost however it was road mapped to 2.3 bar of boost. Mark said that there is no other alternative, he refuses to map my new car with the power levels where they will be anywhere else other than Bruningthorpe.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by pete mcrash
not saying all R/R are the same,but i've been on three and they have never put the car under full load like it is on the road,my car seems "slugish" and makes boost later in the rev range,and never hits full boost.........

so did mine mate came on boost later and only held 30 psi instead of 32. judging by what ive heard on here though over time, 2 psi drop isnt to bad
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
RickyLee53

However, even that is VERY different to trying to map a car on the road. There is alot more to mapping than just driving the car. If you have the benefit of data-logging it is easier, but its still fucking hard and how many Ford's run systems that have decent reliable data-logging? Even with data-logging, you must do a full run, all the way to the rev-limit at each load (boost) point, review the data, make adjustments, then do it again. However, even if you are data-logging, you really should be checking AFR 'live' aswell as using det-cans etc incase you run lean or run into det. Now imagine doing that in a 350bhp RST or a 600bhp Cossie, it all happens too fast and too brutally.

If you consider that a map is usually a 20 by 20 table, so 400 sites, often Load vs RPM and really, you have to visit each and every one of the sites that the car will see on the road and even force it to some of the sites that you will rarely see, if ever, just incase. On the dyno, we can make the retarder control the physical speed and use the throttle to control the load and visit EVERY single site that you will ever see on the road and many sites that you will probably never see and map them to virtual perfection. It sometimes takes 10-15 seconds of fine adjustment and stabilisation before you can set that particular cell, how on earth do you do that on the road for maybe 200 or more cell-sites?

The answer is, you can't. It's based largely on a best-guess and very often a conservative one too. I have asked many many times how the long established road-mappers operate and none have answered this question, so I am left to conclude the answer that made us stop road-mapping. That it just isn't possible to safely map a car to its full potential, while not risking your life, that of your passengers and those of other road users/pedestrians.

I am willing to be re-educated........
The dyno is better for MBT etc.

However i still believe you can get gains on the road.
I map my own car, and i mapped most of it in 3rd gear, its around 500bhp (evo) as any1 who's drove during mapping or mapped a car will know its much easier to hit some load sites than others, so some of its done in 4th gear also. Then its been checked and logged and tweaked etc in all gears.
It's not ideal mapping on the road, but you don't need to be going crazy speeds all the time.

There are not 400 load sites to map. I would hazard a guess at around half that, most of them are cruise as well.

Pete mcrash, this is why it should be checked on the road.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
RickyLee53

Oh and back to your question tim, you rarely give it a WOT blast through the rev's during mapping you want the rev's and the load to stay the same, i.e. left foot on brake, right on the power. So your not accelerating, until your checking the map, and getting between load sites etc.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Cheers Rick

Always thouht it was welly it to limiter, check data, tweek then hoof it again!

Shows what I know

Hows yours coming along?

Got to say good effort doing your own car
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

if u dont do the "speeds" how can u get the airflow right........7k in 4th is around 120mph,so only doing say 70 mph with the brake on isnt going to pull the air it should/does at the correct speed
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Cool. Even the fan?

I wonder if the dealer ev er has second hand onne come up?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
RickyLee53

if u dont do the "speeds" how can u get the airflow right........7k in 4th is around 120mph,so only doing say 70 mph with the brake on isnt going to pull the air it should/does at the correct speed
If your doing 70mph you'd be at different RPM's and load sites?

The only thing i can think of that you mean is the speed of the air going through the cooler, into the induction etc? Is that what you mean?

In which case you don't map your car different for every gear. The only difference in the gears is boost control really.

The only real advantage of using 4th gear rather than 3rd is its easier to hold it on the right RPM's and load sites.

Mines alright Tim, I mapped it till i maxed my fueling and spark, so its just a case of wait for new parts then tune a bit more.
I need, coil on plug, 2bar it starts to blow the spark out regardless of my dwell amount of plug choice.
More fuel, Aeromotive A1000 i think.
And a carbon twin plate or tripple plate clutch. Currently on a twin plate paddle but its not going to hold much more power.

As always you soon get used to it, but more power means more money, but it seems quick enough for winter at the minute.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

yes mate the amount of air u get rammed into the car is going to massively greater at higher speeds...........mine's mapped on the road and i know for a fact that they "giv it some".........
Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
RickyLee53

yes mate the amount of air u get rammed into the car is going to massively greater at higher speeds...........mine's mapped on the road and i know for a fact that they "giv it some".........
The only real difference would be the air intake temp.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Ricky, it sounds an absolute animal.

I have seen the video from Tappits car

How far over 2 bar are yo hoping to go with boost?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Cool. Even the fan?

I wonder if the dealer ev er has second hand onne come up?
Only the 2wd is 3-pin, the 4wd needs 3-phase, but then thats a fortune anyway!!

The fan really depends on what you get. Ours is 3-phase, but I guess it doesnt need to be.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

The engine will only consume as much air as can, so as Ricky says, temps are the main issue.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM
RickyLee53

Originally Posted by timrud
Ricky, it sounds an absolute animal.

I have seen the video from Tappits car

How far over 2 bar are yo hoping to go with boost?
Not sure really, i'l just keep mapping till something breaks or it stops making power I guess.

Back to an earlier discussion in this thread, much over 2 bar and i'l have to go onto the rollers to see if my power gains are worth the gains in EGT.

I don't plan to run race fuel so won't be able to go much over 2 bar i don't think, but the car has had very little head work done so there are gains to be had here. I know somebody with a flow bench but really I need a scrap head to try some different port designs. (i just hope it's not going to be my scrap head )
I guess around 2.1-2.2 bar but there are a few bits to change and gain power elsewhere, still on the standard inlet manifold and throttle body also.
Not played about too much with the cam timing just yet either.

I'm currently running 1.8.

Winter's here though and i can never get the time or motivation to do anything but drive it now.

Which brings me to the question, wheres your car!
Old 26-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Chris S
Regular Contributor

still in the fuking chicken shed
Old 26-12-2007, 12:35 PM
RickyLee53

Originally Posted by Chris S
still in the fuking chicken shed

Want something to play with in the civic
Old 26-12-2007, 01:44 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

how did this thread end up argueing about mapping i thought it was about an insane nova

top car by the way shame he couldnt fit the cooler behind the bumper

reminds me of my mates ols nova saloon
that ended up with a simaler turbo & manifold it also was a bit loony on the road

Old 26-12-2007, 03:05 PM
RickyLee53

Thats a very well put together Nova, salloon

Look at the thread title

Just come in for a break of fitting the cooler on my civic, Looks pretty stealth, you wont see it when painted black
Old 26-12-2007, 03:24 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by blacky.
how did this thread end up argueing about mapping i thought it was about an insane nova
Erm.......?

Erm.......?
Old 26-12-2007, 04:30 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by DazC
Originally Posted by blacky.
Erm.......?

Erm.......?
ye i realised that after i posted lol all the back & forth of people saying live is better no rollers are better wasn't really getting any where as both sides will argue till blue in the face that there way is better

both ways get the results that the customers want . so it all comes down to what the people want done to there cars weather it be rollers or live

i have no prefrence i have had a car mapped on rollers as i thought the person doing it would get the best results & wenny took his mk3 over to stu at MSD as he though that would get the best results after he had a car mapped on the rollers & it expired 2 days later
Old 26-12-2007, 09:27 PM
ROB7656
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

SAFETY. we all break the rules. we all large it a bit here and there...u lot never been to a passion ford meeting
Old 26-12-2007, 10:49 PM
RickyLee53

Originally Posted by ROB7656
SAFETY. we all break the rules. we all large it a bit here and there...u lot never been to a passion ford meeting
Ironic talking about safety when mapping monsters really.