General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Connecting A Sony Video Camera To A PC

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Connecting A Sony Video Camera To A PC

I have got a Sony video camera that uses Hi8 Cassettes can i connect it to my pc if so how and what software do i need

We had our wedding recorded and i wont to put it onto a dvd, i know how to get it on to a video cassette but dvd would be better

Can anyone Help

Cheer's Brian
Old 24-11-2007, 09:01 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant you just plug it into a video capture card and record it onto hard drive?
Old 24-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

plug it into your ps3 if it has an usb
Old 24-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

but then if you wanna put it onto a dvd, i dont know lol
Old 24-11-2007, 10:18 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

You need to find someone who has a DVD recorder if you just want to copy from tape to DVD.

If you want to edit on your pc then save to DVD, you will need a number of things...

-First, what does the video camera output ? Composite, s-video probably. Does it have a firewire output ?

If composite or s-video, you'll need a usb capture box, or, a capture card in your pc. If you go for usb, make sure your pc supports usb 2, otherwise you will get very poor image quality.
If firewire, get a firewire card for your pc, unless you have firewire port already.

Most of the USB things come with some software for capture and editiong, some might allow you to write onto DVD, but, unless it's very long, you might as well try to go create a Video CD which will be quicker and easier.
Some of the more advanced programs you get with the USB thing will allow you to create DVDs with menus, etc...

Windows XP/Vista have a program called windows movie maker which should allow you to capture/edit/create a movie, not sure if you can write it to DVD though.
IF it doesn't output to DVD, you can create a wmv file and convert it later (see below)

There are plenty of free applications out there that will do the job of converting from one format to DVD, then write to DVD, create menus, etc...

Look up www.doom9.net, plenty of information and s/w there.

Unless you have the right software/hardware/etc... it can cost a lot to get the right stuff, and take a long time to get all the software pieces to work together. You might be better off asking a local photographer if they would like to help, there may even be a local university that does media studies, or small TV studio where someone would happily help out in exchange for some beer or wine money

Good luck.
Old 24-11-2007, 10:21 PM
boy_in_blue_x
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

plug the provided usb cable into the side of the camera ( the tab that pulls out) and connect the other end to your computer. now go to "menu" then go to "acessories" then go to windows movie maker

when that has loaded find the "capture video" option which should be on the left with all the other "wizard help" options and then it will be simple to follow the onscreen instructions by selecting the device to record from(said camera) and it should display what is being played on the camera

should be simple - i have the same camera with hi8 and ive done a few videos with it (mind you will have to install the drivers which come seperately on a cd otherwise the recording is all blurry and stuff)

anyway if you need it in more detail just pm me or e-mail callum.scott[at]gmail[dot]com
Old 24-11-2007, 10:23 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by boy_in_blue_x
plug the provided usb cable into the side of the camera ( the tab that pulls out) and connect the other end to your computer.
I hadn't thought of that, but not all hi8 cameras have USB connectivity
Old 25-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys

Brian
Old 25-11-2007, 08:41 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i used windows movie maker but thats given up on me for some reason

when it was working i used that to upload then this to convert to dvd...

http://www.aone-soft.com/flv_to_avi_..._converter.htm