General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A topic about a great friend and a true Professional.

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2007 | 07:13 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Default A topic about a great friend and a true Professional.

I have been working in the Automotive tuning industry for many many years now and in that time i have met hundreds, in fact no, thousands of people, as have most folks in their profession.

Of these thousands of people, i dont normal gel too closely with anyone, preffering to keep business and friendships very seperate. I choose to do that for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is because you tend to find people leech onto you for what they can get. You can always tell the type after you have made the mistake of letting them get a bit too close...

Phone rings..
New friend X: "Hi stu.. its X... just calling for a chat"
Me: "Hi pal, yadda yadda yadda..."
New Friend: "Yadda yadda.. etc etc"
Me: "Cool well thanks for calling mate, speak soon"
New Friend: "Oh, whilst i remember, since your on, ive got a problem with my car"

This scenario has repeated itself hundreds of times over the years, on the phone, at shows, out for meals, and it really does, (to coin a phrase intoduced by another great friend of mine, "Comedy Dan") Drain the fooking life out of you!!

Anyway, to the point of the topic.
A few years ago now i mapped a fast T4 powered Sapphire for a fella from the midlands. From the very first phone call i liked the chap, he was down to earth, didnt try to tell me my job, but put across his impressive knowlege and understanding sensibly, which is nice as i cant stand it when a customer tries to pretend he knows everything when he clearly doesnt as it makes the job much harder.

So i did the job, he didnt hastle me on the phone all week as some people do, he just came back up north, drove it, said he loved it, paid in full, we chatted and drank tea and he went. As time went by we bumped into each other more and more and spoke quite a bit on the phone about cars and life, with him always offering to pay for the advice and my time, which is not only nice, its also extremely rare as most people appear to think i run a fooking charity helpline and are surprised to not see a "Registered Charity No:" above my reception door.

This fella over the years has brough not only quite a few of his own cars, but also sent me quite a few by recommendation, which again is always nice. I especially like repeat business at it means you are trusted and your work liked, and thats a nice feeling for any tradesman.

Not once, did this guy EVER ask for a discount, and he has spent literally many thousands with me. That gives you an idea of his professional integrity... it came as no surprise for me to learn he is self employed, running his own company, so i guess he knows what a drain hagglers are. lol

So, after bumping into him at more shows, and meeting a few of his pals who are also great people and now good customers too, this fella and I became not only friends, but close friends, he is a fella i never tire of spending time with and one i dont really see often enough and sadly, will likely see a little less of in the future, which is one of the things that has prompted this topic tonight after we had a great curry night with Big Will, Stu@BSC, Steve parsons, Kenny and Comedy Dan on Thursday Night. It was a good night out indeed.

This fella, until recently, ran a window blind and awning supply and installation company in the midlands with his family, and he has obviously done very well out of it over the years, but due to his family moving south to retire he has decided to call it a day, sell the whole thing off and make a break for it and move to the south coast with his family. As a result, he has started another company and will be looking for work in the south coast area, so if anyone needs any blinds or awnings, give this fellas a shout (He can supply details later) as i am sure, from my personal experience, you simply wont get a better deal or a more concientious fitter than Him.

I know this from experience as i have had him do all mine in the new house after my wedding and they are fantastic. Not only supplied at a great price, using top materials and quality installation, but he also upgraded one of the blinds for me as a Birthday present which was an extremnely nice gesture. Its a solar powered remote controlled Velux for my Loft conversion, and its the absolute bollox!!

The fellas name is Steven Whittaker. His username on here is 4x4 Ste and he is one of the best mates a man could have. I am genuinely proud to have him as a friend.

I know your feeling a little down lately mate, but all the stress should be coming to end an now and only good times will remain yeah? See you very soon i hope pal.

I will pop some pics of Steves work up soon.
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:16 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Great post .. your gonna make him blush

Steve really is a great guy.

Hope to see him at a Black Country Rsoc meet soon
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:18 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Steve, it has to be said mate - you are one of the nicest and most genuine people i've had the pleasure of meeting through this site.

From when i first met you at Stu's wedding, the big night out at Gatecrasher we all did through to the curry night we had the other night it has always been genuinely good times.

Sorry to read that you're feeling down If you ever need a chat or fancy a beer, you know where i am mate
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:22 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

good to have true friends who like you/keep intouch with you just because you are you and not what you can do for them.

Old 18-11-2007 | 07:27 PM
cozzymatt
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

top post stu... He is also lucky to have you as a mate if you type things like that!
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:28 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have met Ste before too (At your wedding Stu ) and he is a top top bloke and very generous!

I wish you all the luck in the world down South, Ste, will hopefully see you again soon
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:30 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

very nice post stu 4x4 Ste sounds a nice friend

Trending Topics

Old 18-11-2007 | 07:36 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

nice touch stu.alot of decent people dont get the praise they deserve through life
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:39 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice post mate, nice to see friends appreciated, you can only normally count true friends on one hand sadly
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:41 PM
4x4 ste
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Wow, I dont know what to say I am seriously lost for words, You are a true friend and im glad you are as pleased with the work i have done for you as i have been with the work you have done for me over the years.

You are a top bloke with a top company and deserve all the good things life will bring you

Steve
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:42 PM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

good post meet him at your wedding seems a decent guy
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:45 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Only boring old window blinds to some peple i know, but they change a house and i wouldnt have a window without them. Anyone in the market for blinds will understand...

Front room Bay 1:

Front room Bay 2:

Bedroom Bay 1:

Bedroom Bay 2:

Loft Conversion remote controlled, solar powered Velux.

Loft conversion 2 way opener. Whole unit is attached directly to the window so it still opens fully both ways.

Top products and workmanship at a great great price. Thanks very much Steve.
Old 18-11-2007 | 07:49 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

blinds do make a house look sweet if you ask me.we are in process of doing ours at mo.
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:00 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Nice one stu the very same guy spoke highly of you when i mentioned getting my st chipped or mapped
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:10 PM
Mark 3D

where abouts on the South Coast????
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:15 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice words stu.......
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:18 PM
4x4 ste

Originally Posted by markyd3
Im renting a house in Falmouth at the moment untill our house in Kidderminster sells and then we will be looking in Camborne and surrounding areas.

Steve
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:19 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What a charming post, nicely put as always Stu
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:21 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by 4x4 ste
glad you are as pleased with the work i have done for you as i have been with the work you have done for me over the years.
Nicole and I are well pleased, and even Wong hasnt managed to damage one yet when she gets tangled in them trying to decapitate the postman.

I must say though mate, after all the cosworths and Mitsi Lancers i have worked on for you over the years, i genuinely didnt think i would ever be doing a Diseasel for you!

Glad you like it pal. They do go well once sorted.
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:21 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

great post.
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:22 PM
Mark 3D

Im renting a house in Falmouth at the moment untill our house in Kidderminster sells and then we will be looking in Camborne and surrounding areas.

Steve
And there was me hoping for a new member of the West Sussex RSOC!!

Good luck with it all m8
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

nice words stu,,,, now i know who to contact when i need free infomation about my blinds

no seriously top words, alot have been said about you but to say it about anyone else,, well you must be happy
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:26 PM
4x4 ste

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
glad you are as pleased with the work i have done for you as i have been with the work you have done for me over the years.
Nicole and I are well pleased, and even Wong hasnt managed to damage one yet when she gets tangled in them trying to decapitate the postman.

I must say though mate, after all the cosworths and Mitsi Lancers i have worked on for you over the years, i genuinely didnt think i would ever be doing a Diseasel for you!

Glad you like it pal. They do go well once sorted.

I know what you mean about the diesel, But the toys will be back next year when i start making money again (fingers crossed ) Bigger and better and hopefully lots faster
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Ginge !
to say it about anyone else,, well you must be happy
I am mate, and i think sometimes people should occasionally stop and put PassionFord into perspective. Whilst it is nothing more than a website, and it does have its troubles, i think a lot of us owe a large proportion of our immediate social scene to teh community it has created and we should remember that the site is full of very very decent and honest people, many of whom are not "In the limelight" so go a little unnoticed and as such can become a little under appreciated so to speak.

PassionFord, as well as troubles and headaches, has brought me some great new friends and associates and some bloody good nights out.
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:36 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People/friends like that dont come along very often but when they do,it can restore your faith in human beings
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I am mate, and i think sometimes people should occasionally stop and put PassionFord into perspective. Whilst it is nothing more than a website, and it does have its troubles, i think a lot of us owe a large proportion of our immediate social scene to teh community it has created and we should remember that the site is full of very very decent and honest people, many of whom are not "In the limelight" so go a little unnoticed and as such can become a little under appreciated so to speak.

PassionFord, as well as troubles and headaches, has brought me some great new friends and associates and some bloody good nights out.

ive ALWAYS said that, ive met LOADS of people on here, most have been spot on, ive had mark on here pick me up at 11pm at night to drive me round to my garage to change a spare wheel on my old cossie, peteH on here picked up a 1,8 crank pully from a scrap yard and met me to give it to me FOR 10 QUID, theres some people on here who i would do ANYTHING for, celebs, none celebs and even davecos4x4

i made good mates with one RANDOM bloke buying a roof off him,,, i STILL talk to him most days and is one of my good mates

this site has ALSO taught me enough that when i first joined this website i was a traffic warden,,, Fletchcosie taught me how to take a engine out,,,him and fletch and stevo came to my house and took MY engine out for me when i got confused and lots of others gave me advice

so much that i got a job at fords,, now i have a well paying job in the car industry for a company that MAKES car parts and got a promotion based

ALL THIS INFO AND EVEN THE JOB WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE IF IT WASNT FOR THIS SITE

the DOWNSIDE is alot of people have grown up/left the scene and i dont get to see them as much as i could but i try to call them when i can but never enough if im honest
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:42 PM
Magic Numbers
PassionFord Post Troll

Great words Stu!

Met Ste once and I must say, He's a top guy and very friendly aswell
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:43 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

ive ALWAYS said that, ive met LOADS of people on here, most have been spot on, ive had mark on here pick me up at 11pm at night to drive me round to my garage to change a spare wheel on my old cossie, peteH on here picked up a 1,8 crank pully from a scrap yard and met me to give it to me FOR 10 QUID, theres some people on here who i would do ANYTHING for, celebs, none celebs and even davecos4x4

i made good mates with one RANDOM bloke buying a roof off him,,, i STILL talk to him most days and is one of my good mates

this site has ALSO taught me enough that when i first joined this website i was a traffic warden,,, Fletchcosie taught me how to take a engine out,,,him and fletch and stevo came to my house and took MY engine out for me when i got confused and lots of others gave me advice

so much that i got a job at fords,, now i have a well paying job in the car industry for a company that MAKES car parts and got a promotion based

the DOWNSIDE is alot of people have grown up/left the scene and i dont get to see them as much as i could but i try to call them when i can but never enough if im honest
Great story pal.
In fact, i wouldnt have met you had it not been for PF either if i recall, so therss another positive note.

maybe i should just close it before all the good work is undone?
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

heres a list of people i miss you dont see about on this site

PJay
Switch ( though i still talk on the phone but aint seen him for over a year and he lives 30 mins from me )
cossienuts (grant,, where the fuck has he gone ???)
keithG666
Max
paul ( kaite the "model" better half)
philM ( though he was online a few days ago,, maybe weeks)

infact theres LOADS

oh and theres a member here IVE NEVER EVEN MET who helped my missus buy me a suprise christmas present, the BEST pres ive have ever got given !!!!

fasterfordchris,,, proper shy chappy but hes about,,, but the bloke will do ANYTHING for anyone
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Great story pal.
In fact, i wouldnt have met you had it not been for PF either if i recall, so therss another positive note.

maybe i should just close it before all the good work is undone?
tis true,,, the pissups,,,,, they been MINT and some of the best ( and worst) memories

oh and lets not forget the "RING"

this could go on a bit

hell a member of this site NAMED my child when we couldnt think of a name that we both agreed on,,, hows that for influence of your life
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:56 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Your right, and maybe someone should do a seperate topic on how PF has positively affected peoples lives, so as not to spoil mine thats specifically about Steve Whittakers positive influence on mine.
Old 18-11-2007 | 08:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Old 18-11-2007 | 09:04 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steve

Almost my neck of the woods! Welcome to the south coast matey!

Must say - not sure I would choose Cambourne over Falmouth....

JJ
Old 18-11-2007 | 09:11 PM
4x4 ste

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75

Steve

Almost my neck of the woods! Welcome to the south coast matey!

Must say - not sure I would choose Cambourne over Falmouth....

JJ

Superb will have to meet up for a drink some time mate, Im not sure where its gonna be to be honest the only reason i say Camborne is because my brother goes to college there so may end up staying round Falmouth, Depends where we find a nice house, My mom wants a house with lots of land 4/5 acres, But its resting on selling our house. :top
Old 18-11-2007 | 09:21 PM
Robski

Ginge no mention of a nice guy that sent you free Spender DVD's...chopped liver am i now,you wanker?
Old 18-11-2007 | 09:38 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED

Wow, get a room you two

Seriously, kind words there Stu...

I know exactly what you mean about some people only being a friend while
they think they are getting help for free. Strange how their attitude changes if you
dont drop things immediately for them or have more important things to do at the time.
Old 18-11-2007 | 10:09 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

When you say south, how south do you mean? Cos I need an awning for my garden

I have only ever met Stu once, and I was pissed as a fart so don't really remember it, but from things I have read on here, and things I have read Stu post about people, with threads like this, I think many people would be truly lucky to have a proper friend like Stu. Seems such a genuine person Which leads me to say that I have never met 4x4 Ste, but to have something written about you like this, from a man like Stu, must mean you are also a truly genuine nice guy, so hats off to the pair of you
Old 18-11-2007 | 10:22 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Great post Stu! Proper true friends are few and far between!
Old 18-11-2007 | 10:23 PM
RSrussell
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Loft conversion 2 way opener. Whole unit is attached directly to the window so it still opens fully both ways.

These are way cool, no flapping, we want to get these fitted in time to replace all our blinds, but i don't think they do the wooden type ones yet.
Old 18-11-2007 | 10:30 PM
4x4 ste

Originally Posted by Thrush
When you say south, how south do you mean? Cos I need an awning for my garden

I have only ever met Stu once, and I was pissed as a fart so don't really remember it, but from things I have read on here, and things I have read Stu post about people, with threads like this, I think many people would be truly lucky to have a proper friend like Stu. Seems such a genuine person Which leads me to say that I have never met 4x4 Ste, but to have something written about you like this, from a man like Stu, must mean you are also a truly genuine nice guy, so hats off to the pair of you
Thanks for that mate, this post has truly humbled me, Really makes you appreciate good friends who are very very few and far between, Im moving all the way south to south Cornwall, But i can probably sort something for you if you want But firstly it depends on what you would want, The products i sell are the very best quality available at the time and are backed with a 5 year guarrantee so prices are not the cheepest tbh but for what you get i will be cheeper like for like Not wanting to turn this into an advert but this is my website im working on at the moment have a quick look and get in touch on here if you want more details

www.stephensblinds.co.uk

As i say its work in progress so please dont slate it yet

Steve

Quick Reply: A topic about a great friend and a true Professional.