General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fancy going Snowboarding in the new year..!?

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2007 | 03:45 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Default Fancy going Snowboarding in the new year..!?

Ive never done it before so a complete beginner.. was a dab hand on the Skateboard tho if that helps..

questions..

Im not wanting to fork out a small fortune but where would be ideal for a bunch of beginners?

Im guessing it works out more cost effective to rent all the gear.. (just in case I hate it..)

Looking to go in the month of January, probably just a week..

Anyone got a chalet they rent out?

Thanks
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:13 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

If its your first time, you'll be wanting to go to board school IMO - will help you get the most after a week on the slopes..
And, yeah, renting all of your stuff the first time is certainly the best idea, although you can pick up some cracking deals if you look about, and want to buy...
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:16 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

go to one of the indoor snowdomes and do a few lessons to see how you like it, theres one in tamworth and one in milton

renting the gear is alot cheaper,, but im sure you'll get the bug, i dont know anyone whos been and not liked it

have a look at cheapys to andorra, pas dela casa, cool town and the slope is right in the centre and the pubs are ok
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:20 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

andorra ( pas )comes up cheep, and is pretty easy going on beginners and boarders, all chair lifts

drag lifts on a board dont look fun!

Im a skiier, but rented out a board and boots this year for 2 days was 25 euros, about 70 for he week. Found the basics easyish by just getting on with it, ( never had lessons ) as ill loose it with the instructor

clothing wise a jacket and trousers, can be had from a few quid, about 100 would get you something reasonable, as in a jacket you could ware in the UK on a cold day without looking a tit, up to 100s of pounds for lables etc.

some thermal underware / longjohns from primark or some cheep place like that a few quid.

and the rest normal clothes T shirts , jeans jumper etc
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:40 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

my advice about a jacket is to buy a thin one and wear a few layers!

i normally wear, thermals, fleece jacket,,, and if i get warm i can take the fleece off
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:53 PM
fatboyz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i went to andorra its awsome i couldnt snow board before and didnt have any lessons just hired the gear cheap as chips and had a go takes a while but get a bit of padding on yer ass as you will be on it alot also look up exercises to do months before you go as you will use muscles you didnt know you had good luck
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:56 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Westy,

I'm in the same boat. Never done it before, going next year etc etc....

My mate who goes a lot said to go to Milton Keynes, and get as much practice in as possible - will apparently make the holiday more worthwhile...
Old 16-11-2007 | 04:57 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

you will progress alot faster if you do have lessons!
Old 16-11-2007 | 06:45 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Westy,

I'm in the same boat. Never done it before, going next year etc etc....

My mate who goes a lot said to go to Milton Keynes, and get as much practice in as possible - will apparently make the holiday more worthwhile...
Def get some lessons b4 u go, but i would suggest going somewhere other than milton keynes, the snow is normaly pants more like sand than snow

Tamworth is good specially fridays when its ride n slide night, bout £30 4 3nhalf hours of boardin
Old 16-11-2007 | 07:29 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Get yourself up milton keynes mate,

My sister had a refresh with a ski instructor and they are very good!!, if a little expensive though

Im going for a lesson as ive not been skiing since year 11 at manshead

Im of for the new year cant wait!, i bought my new jacket from gaybay and im well chuffed mate
Old 16-11-2007 | 07:40 PM
JamesG
Regular Contributor

Definately get a couple of lessons before you go as you might decide there and then you don't like it, but that will be unlikely. Being an ex skater will help but only a little bit imo. i skated for 10 years and was pretty good but still found snowboarding tricky to pick up.

Andorra, and certain places in the french alps are cheap early Jan, but get more expensive later in the month. The gear you can hire will be pretty good stuff so no worries there. budget about £150 -£200 for a weeks lift pass and board and boot hire.

Tk maxx do some good gear at this time of year, decent brands too. I would say you could get half decent jacket and trews for about £100. £20+ for good gloves which are essential. A good beanie and some goggles needed too.
Old 17-11-2007 | 04:21 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

cheers for the advice lads... One of them things you've always wanted to do, but never got round to.. I know I'll enjoy it

Milton Keynes is literally 15mins drive so I'll make sure I get some practice in.. they havce a jump there too
Old 17-11-2007 | 04:46 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301813

good advice so far

use protection - a helmet and wrist protectors are a must as a beginner, and knee and arse padding is a good idea imo
Old 17-11-2007 | 04:55 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Just 4 hours of lessons on a dry slope is a MUST imo if its your first time - you'll go there with the basics sorted, and you'll progress much more quickly, and not get pissed off being covered in bruises for the first week...