General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Internet search, how to make google default?

Search this Thread

Old 13-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Internet search, how to make google default?

I'm on Tiscali at work and their search engine is shite how can I get rid and use another?
Old 13-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your on the google homepage Martin there should be a bit saying "make google your homepage" just click it.
Old 13-11-2007, 08:51 AM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

assuming your running IE7, click the drop down arrow on the right of the magnifying glass (top right) and click find another provider

Install another provider by clicking on the icon on the webpage, then click the arrow again in the IE window and check the default search engine is set to the one youve chosen

Old 13-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
If your on the google homepage Martin there should be a bit saying "make google your homepage" just click it.
But I don't want Google as my homepage, I have p/f for that.
Old 13-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you're using Internet Explorer 7, go into TOOLS menu, then INTERNET OPTIONS and in the general tab, click the settings button in Search. Then there's a link to 'Find other providers' and Google should be there as an option, which you can then set as a default.
Old 13-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

Internet Explorer

For Windows: Download this file to make Google the default search engine for Internet Explorer versions 4.0 - 6.0. (Note: you will need Administrator privileges on your computer in order to install this file.)

The "search" button will bring up a Google search box down the left side of your browser.

The "Search The Web" menu option from the "Go" menu will take you to Google. For IE4 only, you can type "? <search terms>" in the URL box instead of a URL, and it will perform the search.

When you click on the above link, IE will ask you whether to open or to save the file. Select "open" to immediately make the changes (i.e., to make Google your default search engine for the actions described above). Select "save," and then look at the file under Notepad, if you'd rather examine what the file does first. Be aware that you will probably have to reboot your system to make the change go into effect (even if your computer does not tell you so).

By default, Google will show results in the search channel window, leaving the main window for browsing. If you prefer seeing the search results in the main window, try this file instead.

If you change your mind, this file will set the search engine back to the original Internet Explorer default.

If you previously had your default search engine for Internet Explorer set to be Google, then you upgraded your Internet Explorer version and now find that Google is no longer your default search engine, don't panic! Just download the conversion file again to set Google as the default search engine for your new Internet Explorer version.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Redkop
http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

Internet Explorer

For Windows: Download this file to make Google the default search engine for Internet Explorer versions 4.0 - 6.0. (Note: you will need Administrator privileges on your computer in order to install this file.)

The "search" button will bring up a Google search box down the left side of your browser.

The "Search The Web" menu option from the "Go" menu will take you to Google. For IE4 only, you can type "? <search terms>" in the URL box instead of a URL, and it will perform the search.

When you click on the above link, IE will ask you whether to open or to save the file. Select "open" to immediately make the changes (i.e., to make Google your default search engine for the actions described above). Select "save," and then look at the file under Notepad, if you'd rather examine what the file does first. Be aware that you will probably have to reboot your system to make the change go into effect (even if your computer does not tell you so).

By default, Google will show results in the search channel window, leaving the main window for browsing. If you prefer seeing the search results in the main window, try this file instead.

If you change your mind, this file will set the search engine back to the original Internet Explorer default.

If you previously had your default search engine for Internet Explorer set to be Google, then you upgraded your Internet Explorer version and now find that Google is no longer your default search engine, don't panic! Just download the conversion file again to set Google as the default search engine for your new Internet Explorer version.
I managed to get Google to work form the search button but if I just type something in the address bar it uses Tiscali.

Bill... there are no search options in the general section.

Trending Topics

Old 13-11-2007, 09:29 AM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

You must not be using IE7 then if they arent there, i havent got IE6 on any of my machines due to having vista on both so cant look and see what you change in IE6 as i cant remember off hand
Old 13-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

My default search engine is Google but can't remember how I set it to be. One quick way round it Martin is download the GOOGLE TOOLBAR I always use that rather than use 'Search'
Old 13-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Martin, you can check the version of IE by clicking HELP>About.

If on IE6, do you have a search button below the menu at all? If you do, click that, then in the left hand panel that opens, click customize, and you should be able to select Google there.

If you can't do that, then Tiscali probably customise IE when you install them as an ISP, which can still be gotten around, but would probably mean changing something in the registry - can be done, you just need to be careful when doing so.
Old 13-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Sorted it now Thanks Bill I have IE6 ... all good now though.