General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

A serious post for once YOUR input please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
and as for helping the bloke with the missfire i would certainly offer somthing towards fixing it
Me and you both then mate, but we appear to be in the minority on this thread as most people seem to agree with Phil and Martin Hadland that if you sell something and it goes wrong on the maiden voyage, thats just your own tough.

Im actually quite surprised at that in the case of both Martin and Phil to be honest as I would have actually put them both in with you in the group of people I would expect to help people out if something they sold turned out to be faulty in some way, either for moral reasons or purely for reasons of reputation.
Stop trying to turn it round chip, where did I say I wouldn't help him? Oh and the turbo I was on about... that was a mate of yours too, defend him as well if you like!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chip,

Again, i'd say you're distorting what people have written. The two issues are seperate.

You'd agree Matt owes Phil £50 for the tax.

And I think most people would agree that Phil might wish to help Matt morally to rectify the car, but it's only a moral obligation. If he chooses not too that's his choice and no where has he said he wouldn't.

I'm sure if it transpired it was something within Phil's remit he would offer the help/compensation forthwith.

I still feel you are providing replies without being purely objective..or based on what's been written...

Ian
Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Mark_w

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He owes phil £50,quite simple to understand really

regards mark
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: A serious post for once YOUR input please.

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
A deal is a deal, he has to pay the £50.
Totally agree
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he still owes you £50. or you could be a knob about it and demand the full asking price now £6700 Do it!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Martin. phil asked what he should do and you said then money should be paid and that's all you said. you mentioned nothing about phil helping to rectify the fault at all.
if there is more to your opinion of what the outcome should be or what you would do in phils position then its certainly not been portrayed at all in your replies here so far which like I have said surprised me as my view of you is that you would have offered some form of help so im certainly not trying to twist anything I just don't see any other way at all to interpret your replies.

with regards to the turbo you mention. my view doesn't change based on who it was. I think you have a moral obligation but no legal one. that's no different if it is a friend of mine or not. its still my opinion regardless.

as I've said previously in this thread my opinion of right and wrong doesn't change based on who is involved.

ian. I can only repeat that to you. I've not taken sides based on the people involved at all. my morals and priciples have dictated my replies not my friendships and its quite offensive of you to keep calling me a liar on that one.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
ian sibbert

Martin. phil asked what he should do and you said then money should be paid and that's all you said. you mentioned nothing about phil helping to rectify the fault at all.
if there is more to your opinion of what the outcome should be or what you would do in phils position then its certainly not been portrayed at all in your replies here so far which like I have said surprised me as my view of you is that you would have offered some form of help so im certainly not trying to twist anything I just don't see any other way at all to interpret your replies.

with regards to the turbo you mention. my view doesn't change based on who it was. I think you have a moral obligation but no legal one. that's no different if it is a friend of mine or not. its still my opinion regardless.

as I've said previously in this thread my opinion of right and wrong doesn't change based on who is involved.

ian. I can only repeat that to you. I've not taken sides based on the people involved at all. my morals and priciples have dictated my replies not my friendships and its quite offensive of you to keep calling me a liar on that one.
Chip,

Quite offensive. This will be my last reply, I personally dont care less as to what is written on the internet, as i'm sure you dont. You are my friend quite a strange character. I have neither called you a liar or in any way been offensive towards you. I have challenged your stance both morally and legally and in my opinion, you are not being objective. You obviously know more of the case than I do. You are clearly a very intelligent man with supposed high morals and you will at any cost fail to acknowledge any form of retraction from things you say/type. I will no longer engage you as I am, again in my opinion about a million miles from calling you a liar. If that were the case i'd state it quite clearly.

Carry on pal, no one can clearly come close and I certainly have far better things to occuply my time...lol

Good luck

Ian
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Mark_w

Originally Posted by Sound System Van Man
Sorry chip mate but on 99% of the threads you post in/butt in you come accross as the twat.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

FFS CHIP.. cant your work actually give you some work to do... So that when I come home and have a browse on here.. I dont have to read your dribble all the time??

Im interested in reading peoples views but every other reply is by you..! do us all a favour and STFU for a change..
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Chip

ian.

I told you I wasn't being subjective and you told me again that I was being so despite the fact I had just stated otherwise.
that's where you were saying that I wasn't being honest.

hth

chip
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Westy
FFS CHIP.. cant your work actually give you some work to do... So that when I come home and have a browse on here.. I dont have to read your dribble all the time??

Im interested in reading peoples views but every other reply is by you..! do us all a favour and STFU for a change..
you don't seem to have any constructive argument to put forward so why bother posting at all?

I have been questioned on my posts so I have replied to those questions or remarks. that's what people on forums do so if you don't like that then don't use the forum is your best solution I would think as I've certainly got no intention of not replying just cause someone with no constructive input asks me to.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh theres a good boy
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Chip

it doesn't work trying to patronise someone that their input is less valuable than you would like when your only replies are pure spam by the way little fella
Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

edited
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sold as seen, he owes you £50...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
Chip,

If you lived in a perfect world and the authorities who police the sales of goods act were sufficiently enpowered then your argument may stack up, but the only place to test the legal stance would be in civil court and i'll wager a thousand pounds that your friend would lose, the judge would take into account the reduction in sale price, age of the car and the type of sale which had taken place (trade or private). He is one man working objectively. I'm no legal expert but i've been involved in several civil cases. I'd guess he'd award no compensation and i'd guess your friend would be out of pocket even bringing the case to court....

I only sell new equipment, but all professionals in any sales industry understand our obligations, and given the evidence even you should see Phil is in the right....

Ian
I agree totally, and im surprised that people lack the basic understanding of what I have written to think that I am saying Phil has any legal obligation in this case, especially as I have now replied several times pointing people back to my first post on the subject which stated I felt that the whole legal discussion was a moot point anyway as Matt had thrown away his rights when he worked on the car without giving Phil the chance to.

My replies have been based on what I feel the MORAL responsiblity of the seller is, and people are welcome to disagree with me on that if they have lower morals when selling an item than I do
well if you are agreing with ian why have you been rabitting on like ginge for 4 pages if you agree phil is in the right??
the guy should pay the £50 simple as.no if but or maybes
what if matt put normal unleaded in it and ragged fuck out of it all the way home does the car have to be fit for that purpose too?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Chip

if it was sold described as fit for ragging on unleaded then yes but I would imagine it wasn't.
strange hypothetical question to be asking imho but have answered anyway as it would be rude to ignore you I guess.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: A serious post for once YOUR input please.

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Yep i agree, the price was agreed. Did you put on the receipt '£50 to pay' or something like that?

Out of interest, do you still have the log book or have you sent it off?

Its unfortunate that its developed a fault (if it REALLY has ), but thats the risk you take when buying private, especially with a modified car.

He owes you £50 mate, simple as that.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You'd win more arguments by saying half as much Chip. For what it's worth I agree with your sentiment, if not the way you've put it across.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if it was sold described as fit for ragging on unleaded then yes but I would imagine it wasn't.
strange hypothetical question to be asking imho but have answered anyway as it would be rude to ignore you I guess.
well whos to say thats not what he done?no one will ever no surely??
he agreed to a deal ad should pay up.he said it to phil in pms that he would then says oh it got a missfire on way home?? most folk would have mentioned it straight away?
your also say go by morals etc were is matt's morals not paying the money end of the day phill deffo wont lose sleep over the £50 quid its just made matt look a cunt imo.which he never did come across like that on here tbh
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
silverfox999
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Phil, i will lend you £50 if your short

(got bored after page two, sorry)
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

had the same thing happen to me over a car i sold and the tax which cost
98 notes, i said the buyer could have it for 50 or i would cash it in.
he said ok.then never coughed up, i felt shafted
Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Daviet
well whos to say thats not what he done?no one will ever no surely??
he agreed to a deal ad should pay up.he said it to phil in pms that he would then says oh it got a missfire on way home?? most folk would have mentioned it straight away?
your also say go by morals etc were is matt's morals not paying the money end of the day phill deffo wont lose sleep over the £50 quid its just made matt look a cunt imo.which he never did come across like that on here tbh
I think somehow you probably missed the bit where I said if I was Matt I would have sent him the money first then asked him about helping out with the misfire after, as what you are saying to me makes no sense given that ive already said that.

I think Matt has made himself look bad to a certain extent by apparently (bear in mind we've only had phils side of this) not sticking to what he said, but TBH I think Phil has made himself look far worse by washing his hands of a 6500 quid car that he sold.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
You'd win more arguments by saying half as much Chip. For what it's worth I agree with your sentiment, if not the way you've put it across.
LOL, you're probably right Dan!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt J
FFS how simple does it get?
In a black and white world it is very simple. Chip however is arguing in various shades of grey, and, in a round-about way, is suggesting that it's not actually about what's in the eyes of the law, but about the moral obligations to a fellow man. It's clear that different people have a different sent of moral values, and somehow that has spawned a rather silly debate, fuelled by Chip's refusal to let go of his point.

The guy I just bought my car from took £40 off the wad of notes I'd just handed him and said "Fill her up". In the light of altruistic actions like that I think that waiving the £50 is a no brainer.

But I can see how miffed I'd be if someone promised to pay me X and ended up paying me X minus £50.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cant be bothered to read al 4 pages too tired imo the right thing to do is pay the £50 whether u accept it is a different matter u could of transferd it back to him,but he should pay u!!as for this fit for use,surely a valid MOT is required??not sure tho
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Lordy - where do u lads find the time to type all this about £50?

I bought my rst - took it home, changed oil, filter, plugs, air filter etc etc etc - parked in the garage over night and the sump perforated - spilling all my castrol rs over the floor and needing me to put a new sump on it.

Cost me a few pounds but so what - its a 2nd hand car - if u want a new car with a warranty buy on and pay the price.

If the agreement was £6550 - thats the way it should be paid. I would expect nothing from the car seller the second after I paid my cash - thats why the 2nd hand car market is a mine field.

Good luck all

RW
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Where is the coward anyway... GET YOUR WALLET OUT YOU TOSSER

He was happy enough to post up a thread about his new car so why cant he fooking pay?????
Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

With a reply like that it would of just been easier to accept you lost the argument and told him so.

Benni.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:24 AM
cosmo V6

not to hard to work out really
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

In a black and white world it is very simple. Chip however is arguing in various shades of grey, and, in a round-about way, is suggesting that it's not actually about what's in the eyes of the law, but about the moral obligations to a fellow man. It's clear that different people have a different sent of moral values, and somehow that has spawned a rather silly debate, fuelled by Chip's refusal to let go of his point.
it's even simpler than that
the guy buys the car
promises the £50
2 pm's get sent
THEN the guy finds the fault
if the moneies had been paid in the first place then i'm sure there might have been a helping hand somewhere, but there wasn't so there wasn't

The guy I just bought my car from took £40 off the wad of notes I'd just handed him and said "Fill her up". In the light of altruistic actions like that I think that waiving the £50 is a no brainer.

But I can see how miffed I'd be if someone promised to pay me X and ended up paying me X minus £50.
that was nice of him
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

cant beleive its made 5 pages

another phil wind up thread
Old 02-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by Eagle
cant beleive its made 5 pages

another phil wind up thread
Why do you say it's a 'wind-up' thread'?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by dojj
it's even simpler than that
the guy buys the car
promises the £50
2 pm's get sent
THEN the guy finds the fault
if the moneies had been paid in the first place then i'm sure there might have been a helping hand somewhere, but there wasn't so there wasn't

that was nice of him

It sure is as simple as that

I mean test driving it ,driving 400 miles home, talking to the previous owner..
I would of just fixed the missfire and then sent the £50..

I would not of even considered anything else after all i bought a 2nd hand car a OLD COSWORTH at that....
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Originally Posted by silky16v
Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer
..i think i am now truly weened off them due to no time to tinker...and if i cant tinker i dont need one!

..hope it got back to Cumbria ok!!!

...what is comming next
yep got home safely thanks

gonna admit i'm glad i don't live down south the fuking traffic is horrid, it something i'm so glad we don't suffer from
Taken from this thread..

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296655

No mention of any problems there, and imo it would be the first thing i would mention.

He owes you £50, simple as.

If he would have paid straight away like he said, then it would have been generous of you to help him out, but that would be your call.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant believe this thread is so long as in my eyes there is no question over who is right. Phil due £50 end of.

Originally Posted by Daviet
well if you are agreing with ian why have you been rabitting on like ginge for 4 pages if you agree phil is in the right??
APMSL@rabitting like ginge

thats exactly what it is tho! i always skim past ginges posts and tbh i began to stop reading chips on this thread
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM
silverfox999

For the length of time this thread has been going, compound interest rates have increased it by £5!!! Has a decision been made yet?

ps i can still lend you £50 if your short this month
Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

He owes you £50 imo - although if I he showed me reciepts as proof of this alleged problems, then I would probably waiver it

Quick Reply: A serious post for once YOUR input please.