General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FIRST TIME HOUSE BUYERS....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:56 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FIRST TIME HOUSE BUYERS....

how the hell are you ment to get on the propperty ladder now,,, house prices are just stupic, and the goverment have done little or nothing to help

they build "affordable houses" which is a joke, for one they aint really affordable and they aint really a house, more of a box!

the only way i could buy a nice tidy house is too move away from my area to somewhere like the valleys, and tbh i wouldnt wanna live there!

we shoudl pressure the goverment to help first time buyers! long term fixed payment morgages would be a good start (like you could get years ago)

how does everyone else feel about buying a house?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

exactly my thoughts above mate. You need 200k+ to get anything decent these days... (with a garage anyway!)
Old 06-10-2004, 09:01 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are incentive schemes and options if you look around.

You can still purchase in London on a 50 % mortgage, 50% rent option, with a frozen interest rate option to purchase the remaining half after a year.

My brother's just done that on a flat in Kingston, at 23.

I however, will be buying to let back up in Norfolk, as soon as I can get up there to arrange the viewings, and allowing myself to build some collateral before trying to even look at the property ladder in London
Old 06-10-2004, 09:04 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

You can still purchase in London on a 50 % mortgage, 50% rent option, with a frozen interest rate option to purchase the remaining half after a year
never heard of anything like that here

it really pisses me,, when i read storys in papers about people coming into this country and get giving a 250k house,,,,,, and ive worked everyday since 16, pay taxes,, and i couldnt afford to live in a 250 k house
Old 06-10-2004, 09:07 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I'll post up some more info on the scheme tonight when I find it............
Old 06-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

i really feel sorry for folks now

i bought mine in 1997 for 21k...... sounds nothing, but at the time i was only earnin 7k

it was a struggle, but great now.

but prices these days are just stupid
Old 06-10-2004, 09:10 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Spiky
i bought mine in 1997 for 21k...... sounds nothing, but at the time i was only earnin 7k

Relative though - the total cost of your house was 3 times your salary.

With that, I couldn't even buy a garden shed
Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 AM
apples24
Banned

these shared awnership things i dont think are not good, say a 100k house... lol as if one excists

they own 25 percent you own 75, you pay them rent on the 25 percent and in 4 yrs when you sell for say 175k you have to give them back 25 percent of 175k

not too good if ask me
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I bought a 30k shell in the valleys 3 years ago Gar, worth 90k now and it stands me @ 15k on renovation! Im lucky coming from a large family of trades.

Renovation and living in a building site seems to be the only way to afford any sort of property at the mo!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

it's not bad when you think my house is now worth 110k +

and i'm next adding a garage to it
Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 AM
jasonp
Advanced PassionFord User

there are houses out there(well around our area) cheap but it depends if your willing to put a bit of effort in to do somewhere up, ofcourse like u say new builds arent cheap and they arent very big or very good.

Mortgages vary shed loads aswell and getting as much deposit as you can helps alot, sold my skyline to buy a place and am glad i did now. Shopping around for mortgages is a good thing as there are so many different ways of paying them back now.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i just got a nice new house cheap!

but that's a different country and its project to help starters getting their first new house!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

some great advice there!

i have thought about buying a shell, but these too dont come up in my area, and if they do come up now,, they go for silly monry, 80k for a shell (no shit) 25k to rebuild to a nice standard, and the house would be worth 110k! not worth the effort!

me and my good work mate, are going to buy a shell up the valleys to make money! he is just finishing in home first, then its time to have a go ourselfs!
i really aint scared of the work, as i have friends who are builders! and im a spark myself who have done plenty of re-wires in my day to earn extra money!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 AM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

im SOOOO glad i bough a house when i did! im nearly 22 now and ive had my house since i was JUST 19, bought it for 50k and its worth at least 85k now!
Got in just before the house prices started to REALLY go up!
CheeRS
Phil
Old 06-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got it alrite for the moment

live with me parents, the morgage only has 2 years left on it and when they nock off i get the house gratis When they bought this place they gave 85k for it - its now worth 160k
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Lee R
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

me and missus couldnt afford to buy 3 yrs ago, we rented.

we are still renting, and I can NEVER see a way out....

you need 15k up front and still have a £700 a month mortgage
Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 AM
jasonp

gareth another thing is to buy a first phase new build as they are usually 10-15% cheaper then as more places go up so does the value of the first builds.

Me and my girlfriend are doing up houses and its great, alot of hard work and late nights,and stress but the rewards are well worth it m8. I think i could do everything in a house now apart from plaster,but thats my next thing to learn and im only a carpenter by trade.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

gareth another thing is to buy a first phase new build as they are usually 10-15% cheaper then as more places go up so does the value of the first builds.
now thats a good bit of advice!

i tried to buy a two bedroom appartment on a complex that went on sale on sat morning,, they was all sold on monday when i phoned! i was gutted
http://www.galliard-developments.co.uk/ click curretn developemts then haynes point

i dont know if im asking too much from a house! but i earn tidy money so i should be able to get a tidy house
Old 06-10-2004, 09:42 AM
apples24
Banned

ya got one in cornwall road aint ya jp?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:43 AM
jasonp

yeah lee want to buiy it
Old 06-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Yep, totally agree with you Gareth, it's a pile of shit...............see my signiture for details Have you thought about doing the same? You could have a nice deposit/money for doing the house up if you sold your Escoz!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:44 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i bought my house last year.. cost me £53k

You can get long term fixed mortgages. Some building societies offer them.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
apples24
Banned

Originally Posted by jasonp
yeah lee want to buiy it

Naa hate midanbury lived there for 10 yrs

areas going downhill due to the scum in townhill park council pikey chav flats lol, the crime in the area is unreal now
Old 06-10-2004, 09:48 AM
apples24
Banned

id buy one tomorrow but id have to get a self cert mrtgage which in itself im somewhat in the dark about the ways, terms, what Q's asked etc

also a 20 odd percent dep would be needed and the more prices go up the more i need, saving doent seem to be working lol
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by apples24
Originally Posted by jasonp
yeah lee want to buiy it
the crime in the area is unreal now
get a redeemer then!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

apples24,
also a 20 odd percent dep would be needed and the more prices go up the more i need, saving doent seem to be working lol
goverment advisers and an indenpendant experts think a 20% drop is on its way in the next 18 months! but at the mo i cant see it

Ian2wdsaffcos, i have thought about it! but i couldnt do it! i dont need to buy a house at the mo, i just want one! i dont get any trouble living with ym parents as they are both easy going!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 AM
jasonp

dont get any chavs down our end only dicks on mopeds but id knock the fuckers off anyway
Old 06-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Originally Posted by GARETH T
apples24,
goverment advisers and an indenpendant experts think a 20% drop is on its way in the next 18 months! but at the mo i cant see it
Me neither TBH

Ian2wdsaffcos, i have thought about it! but i couldnt do it! i dont need to buy a house at the mo, i just want one! i dont get any trouble living with ym parents as they are both easy going!
It wasn't easy for me either mate but I did it simply because I could just see the house prices rising further & further out of reach so I decided I NEEDED to get out now as I was (& still am) 25 & thought it was getting a bit sad still living at home & it was looking like if I didn't get out now I'd still be living with my Mam when I was 30..........which lets face it, is sad as fuck!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You should try getting a house over here, they're circa £115k for a 2 bed terraced, nowhere would give me a mortgage on somewhere that needed work unless I do the work to the place first, all the builders are in with the estate agents so they get offered cheap houses first...

Me and the missus earn £33k between us and have got £6k but its still not enough.

I'm just really hanging on for a crash in the market cos of all these people that have stretched their income to get a place and won't be able to afford it when interest rates go up.

Giving control of interest rates to the Bank of England was the worst thing the government could have done
Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

which lets face it, is sad as fuck!!
i agree mate
Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

im in the same boat, me and my missus are looking to buy a place, but shes just finished her teacher training, and now cant get a fookin job!!

im hopefully gonna get offered a new job on friday, so that will get me a 4k payrise to 20k, but untill the missus gets a job were fukked.

and now it dont look shes gonna get a job as a teacher so we aint gonna be able to borrow as much cash as we could have got

this country sucks ass big time
Old 06-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Ian2wdsaffcos

Fooking pile of bollox the teacher situation at the moment aint it Fudge! My girlfriend's mate in the same situation as your missus yet the government keep putting adverts on TV trying to get more people signed up for teaching courses!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Gee

Ya gotta do what im gonna do............

Get on the council list become a tenant the you got right to buyeach year you at the property you gonna get a discount hping to get my house for bout 45kwith discount prob worrth bout 110k

not everyones cup o tea but it one way to get started
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll be on the council list for 3 years mate, its full up...
Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian2wdsaffcos
Fooking pile of bollox the teacher situation at the moment aint it Fudge! My girlfriend's mate in the same situation as your missus yet the government keep putting adverts on TV trying to get more people signed up for teaching courses!!
it takes the piss mate, she got PAYED to do the training, but the jobs are going to peeps that did their degree in teaching not the PGCE shes had 11 interviews aswell, shes so fukked off right now and considering getting an office job.

shes got an interview on monday so fingers crossed
Old 06-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I wanna know where all you folk live to get these houses for £20/£30/£50k

Fook, down here in my tiny town, a single room studio apartment (1 living room stroke open kitchen stroke open bedroom, plus toilet + shower) above 2 others the same all sitting on top of a grotty newsagent just went up for sale. I thought hmmmm, not great but check it out - £98-fucking-thousand!!!!!!!

You can't get anything for less than around the £80k mark here, and they ain't even houses, they are flats or apartments, houses I ain't seen nuffin less than £130k (ie: 2 bed semi) and rent in a flat share (ie 1 bedroom, shared everything else) is typically £70 A WEEK plus bills!!!! Fuck it's cheaper at home - £50 a week and no bills

My car is on the market, must sell it soon, as much of my lowly wage each month goes into savings as poss, I live like a fooking pauper, am lucky I just gained a small inhereitance to help a bit more, but I'm still gonna have a REAL hard time, nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere I can afford to buy

Been told that if you are a single person looking for a mortgage you can borrow upto 5 times your salary? So that gives me about £70, plus another £20k in a couple of years, total £90,000 - gonna get fuck all for that, specially in another 2yrs

I refuse to rent as it is the same money every month as a mortgage is, and I can't see no way out of it - how am I gonna save the deposit up when I am pissing £xxx every month away?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Move abroad where u can get a stunning house for 100k thats what im going to do

Or hoping the price of houses does crash like they say it might
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Gee

Originally Posted by Thrush
I wanna know where all you folk live to get these houses for £20/£30/£50k

Fook, down here in my tiny town, a single room studio apartment (1 living room stroke open kitchen stroke open bedroom, plus toilet + shower) above 2 others the same all sitting on top of a grotty newsagent just went up for sale. I thought hmmmm, not great but check it out - £98-fucking-thousand!!!!!!!

You can't get anything for less than around the £80k mark here, and they ain't even houses, they are flats or apartments, houses I ain't seen nuffin less than £130k (ie: 2 bed semi) and rent in a flat share (ie 1 bedroom, shared everything else) is typically £70 A WEEK plus bills!!!! Fuck it's cheaper at home - £50 a week and no bills

My car is on the market, must sell it soon, as much of my lowly wage each month goes into savings as poss, I live like a fooking pauper, am lucky I just gained a small inhereitance to help a bit more, but I'm still gonna have a REAL hard time, nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere I can afford to buy

Been told that if you are a single person looking for a mortgage you can borrow upto 5 times your salary? So that gives me about £70, plus another £20k in a couple of years, total £90,000 - gonna get fuck all for that, specially in another 2yrs

I refuse to rent as it is the same money every month as a mortgage is, and I can't see no way out of it - how am I gonna save the deposit up when I am pissing £xxx every month away?

same in nottm thrush the bubble gonna burst soon mate
stand by with ya readies
Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 AM
craigp

I think me and the missus bought at the right time too-3 bed end terrace, conservatory,double garage for 41k.Now valued at 80k but still got the council kitchen and bathroom one down the road has had these done and looking for 135k
Old 06-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

same in nottm thrush the bubble gonna burst soon mate
stand by with ya readies
I hope so for the sake of my sanity lol

Quick Reply: FIRST TIME HOUSE BUYERS....