General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?

Search this Thread

Old 19-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
Cheers Chip

So in affect it like buying private in that the sellor, who is actually a trader, doesnt have to give any sort of warranty on it.

Where as normaly a trader has to offer "some" sort of warranty

Steve

Thats the implication, but like I said, Im not sure how it would stack up.

Especially as no doubt Jay didnt just fill in the trader bit of the V5 and probably filled the guy out as a new owner!
Old 19-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that a 'trade sale' was one given with no warranty. For example... they'd taken it in as a part exchange, it wasn't good enough to be put on their forecourt, so they try to see if they can sell it before shipping it off to auction.

Not saying this is correct but it's always been my impression when I've seen anything advertised as a 'trade sale'
Old 19-10-2007, 10:53 AM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

fordsportjay

let us knwo what he says when you give him the good news

point him towards this thread to so he can see what a cock he is
Old 19-10-2007, 10:59 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what i would class as a trade sale.

the car is sold with a full inspection from the buyer allowed.no warranty is given with the car as the buyer has inspected it and is happy with its current condition and appreciates that there may be some issues to address.trade cars sold as spares or repairs.the selling price is also lowered accordingly.

its a real spiders web though because if the car blew up or fell in half on the way home the buyer isnt going to be happy-some will quote" has to be fit for its purpose" etc etc,others will say "oh fuck"take it home and fix it.it depends on how the individual sees it or how far he looks into it,i suppose.

but even then there is a proper way of going about things which your trading standards office will tell you to do.
Old 19-10-2007, 11:02 AM
The Rapid 1

Cheers Lynne Chip

So basically it used as a no cover type thing wether legal or not, that all I wanted really

Its just cos in my eyes unless the guy explained it to me, if I was buying from a trader and he said "ok you know its a "trade sale"", id be like "well ye you are a trader aint ya, bit obvious that" lol, and thinking it was giving me EXTRA cover over a private sale

Obviously I would find out cos id be asking what was covered and what wasnt and for how long etc, so would come out then

So Jay, no particular question bout this car or any of your sales (only heard good things of you here )
BUT you ARE using this statement, what EXACTLY do you mean by it ?, say im looking at a car of yours, and you tell me its a trade sale, and I ask you before I but the car I want to know what your deffinition of trade sale is, what you gonna tell me ?

Cheers

Steve
Old 19-10-2007, 11:02 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its a shame as he seemed like a decent lad......

fuck knows who is giving him his advice though.the woman at trading standards said their advice would have been for him to contact me immediately to see what i was prepared to do.
Old 19-10-2007, 11:04 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
Cheers Lynne Chip

So basically it used as a no cover type thing wether legal or not, that all I wanted really

Its just cos in my eyes unless the guy explained it to me, if I was buying from a trader and he said "ok you know its a "trade sale"", id be like "well ye you are a trader aint ya, bit obvious that" lol, and thinking it was giving me EXTRA cover over a private sale

Obviously I would find out cos id be asking what was covered and what wasnt and for how long etc, so would come out then

So Jay, no particular question bout this car or any of your sales (only heard good things of you here )
BUT you ARE using this statement, what EXACTLY do you mean by it ?, say im looking at a car of yours, and you tell me its a trade sale, and I ask you before I but the car I want to know what your deffinition of trade sale is, what you gonna tell me ?

Cheers

Steve

steve,see my post above yours for my interpretation of trade sale.

not seen that car of yours out for a while......is it ever coming back?
mental launches!!!!
Old 19-10-2007, 11:05 AM
The Rapid 1

Got in before me lol

Ah so right in general anything being sold/advertised should also carry a lower price, now would that price from a trader be say still less than a private sellor selling an equivalent car ?

Steve
Old 19-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The Rapid 1

Originally Posted by fordsportjay

not seen that car of yours out for a while......is it ever coming back?
mental launches!!!!

Long gone im affraid Jay

Eventually killed it

Too much to repair for me to throw any more cash at

I sold it to Steve Scott as salvage he kept gearbox and bits and pieces, and sold the rolling shell on, Engine dead probs about 2-3 years ago now

Still think he got the Registration on retention tho

The Rapid 1 is dead, keep your eyes peeled for The Rapid 2 (as said by someone else off here ) one day tho

Steve
Old 19-10-2007, 11:43 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

trade price should be a fair bit less than the price it was originally retailed at.

i sold the bmw for a grand less than i had originally retailed it at-no wonder im skint
Old 19-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There is SO much bullshit written on here!

Whoever said it's illegal to write "trade sale" on a receipt shouldn't be allowed to post "advice".

I have receipts made up on a pre-printed template [available to anyone from Lawgistics] with TRADE SALE written across them.

The implication of a "trade sale" is that the buyer is aware of any issues a used car may have at the time of sale or in the near future.

YOU CANNOT WRITE "NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR GIVEN" ON A RECEIPT, IT IS ILLEGAL AND YOU WILL/SHOULD GET NICKED FOR IT!

You cannot take a consumers statutory rights away from them.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE ANY WARRANTY ON A USED VEHICLE OVER AND ABOVE THE CONSUMERS STATUTORY RIGHTS.

No point taking the advice of someone that's been through all this countless times though, easier to spout off conjecture and what "my mate said".

Glad you got it sorted Jay
Old 19-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aint read all the posts but HOW THE FUCK WOULD VALVE CLEARENCES BE NOTICED FOR A MISSFIRE ON A STRAIGHT 6 ENGINE ???

the most smoothest engine and as such hard to tell

jay if the lamda sensor was causing a noticable miss fire then the car wouldbe fuckedby now too

hes talking shite and hes took itto a garage that is also shite,,, fuel consuption on a bmw you test the lambda first, then the maf sensor if bad on motorways but ok round town

shite round town means lambda is fucked as its not switching to closed loop

valve clearences,,,,,, well thats a joke on a straight 6 as they would have to be proper out to notice it

ask him for the old parts as i can test em at work or get the guys who make out stuff to test em for you

i sugest you give him the name of a actual garage rather than a place whos got spanners and a till

supirsed they never changed the head gasket for the missfire first considering the way they are going about it

melted wiring also,,,,, WTF, id like to know where and why,,,, wonder if hes fitte a stereo or angel eyes to it

infact jay,,, just go round and give the geek a slap
Old 19-10-2007, 09:17 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

are they not hydrulic lifters on a BMW anyway? can't see them being solids .....I know nothing about them to be honest, but just seems odd to me
Old 20-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no they can be adjusted,, but its a little like ripping out your kitchen cause the taps leaking
Old 20-10-2007, 04:54 PM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

its ok my old man sold a rover 200 a while back , and 8 months later the girl rang him , telling him he had to put it through an mot and pay for the water pump an head gasket that she had done on it
Old 20-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StuarTurbo
its ok my old man sold a rover 200 a while back , and 8 months later the girl rang him , telling him he had to put it through an mot and pay for the water pump an head gasket that she had done on it
She got eight WHOLE months out of a rover headgasket?

She should have come round and sucked your old man off for selling her the best rover going
Old 20-10-2007, 06:15 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

She should have come round and sucked your old man off for selling her the best rover going

how true
Old 20-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Speedy Gonzalez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

AFPMSL
Old 20-10-2007, 07:27 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

HOw did I know it was going to be Landspeed We get some of our cars done there. Just spent out over 1k on a service for a smart car

Very hard to find a good garage I think. Had some bad experiences with a lot of local places.
Old 20-10-2007, 07:53 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JAP CRAP
HOw did I know it was going to be Landspeed We get some of our cars done there. Just spent out over 1k on a service for a smart car

Very hard to find a good garage I think. Had some bad experiences with a lot of local places.
their labour charges are terrible!
i may move down there and open up a garage