General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cosie going on rollers tues 23 oct anything i need to know ?

Search this Thread

Old 16-10-2007 | 04:23 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Default cosie going on rollers tues 23 oct anything i need to know ?

got my car booked in at 1320 autos rolling road next tuesday. very helpful guys they staying open late for me and cabrio boy due to my herific work load someone i know has been up there with his 2000 mile 07 fiesta st and made same bhp as manufacturer states so must be near enough for accuracy.
i trust them but would still like to know for myself.

just wondered anything i need to keep my eye on.
ie whats maximum acts before meltdown and afr limit before meltdown ? its just cossie paranoia i know but id rather know the limits before i go.
and anything else anyone can advise
thanks
Old 16-10-2007 | 04:27 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

if its just been mapped i'd expect it to be fine.............its only going to get full revs a few times...........
Old 16-10-2007 | 04:30 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I don't understand why you have booked it there rather than Nobles, as all it is going to do is raise more questions .

1. If it makes more power than Nobles, you will have no idea if this is because of the roller size differences, software or because it truly is more powerful.
2. If it makes less power than Nobles, you will be gutted and still won't know if it is due to the same reasons as the above.

The only rollers that make reasonable accurate repeatable representations are the Dyno-dynamics ones, but that doesn't help, as your original figure wasn't obtained at one of these in the first place .
Old 16-10-2007 | 04:33 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I don't understand why you have booked it there rather than Nobles, as all it is going to do is raise more questions .

1. If it makes more power than Nobles, you will have no idea if this is because of the roller size differences, software or because it truly is more powerful.
2. If it makes less power than Nobles, you will be gutted and still won't know if it is due to the same reasons as the above.

The only rollers that make reasonable accurate repeatable representations are the Dyno-dynamics ones, but that doesn't help, as your original figure wasn't obtained at one of these in the first place .

i know what ur saying mate and after dingys latest im dubious about nobles. i know these are accurate as theyve had a brand new standard car on them as a benchmark and came back spot on. and there only bout 3 miles from my back door
Old 16-10-2007 | 04:40 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Good luck, set your WANTED figure low, you'll not be TO dissapointed then
Old 16-10-2007 | 04:44 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
i know these are accurate as theyve had a brand new standard car on them as a benchmark and came back spot on.
That doesn't really prove they're accurate, I'd bet most RR's could (and often do) do the same....

at least going back to same rollers you have (in theory) a better chance of seeing gains/losses compared to your last run there.
Old 17-10-2007 | 09:18 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Billabong
i know these are accurate as theyve had a brand new standard car on them as a benchmark and came back spot on.
That doesn't really prove they're accurate, I'd bet most RR's could (and often do) do the same....

at least going back to same rollers you have (in theory) a better chance of seeing gains/losses compared to your last run there.
how does that not prove there accurate ?
a standard car thats brand new done 2000 miles made exactly flywheel horsepower it should of done.
that to me proves there near enough.
Old 17-10-2007 | 09:20 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by staffi
Good luck, set your WANTED figure low, you'll not be TO dissapointed then
will do mate. either way car feels very strong so its not the end of the world a couple of figures
and if its to low then the tuning will have to begin
cant see it though tbh as how quick it is.
will post graphs when ive been
Old 17-10-2007 | 09:24 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Was it a turbo car though?

I have no idea of the quality of the fans at the RR you are booked into, but they make little difference on a NA car, stick one on the rollers with a turbot on, and if the fans are insufficient, the ACTs can rocket to 70°C and you will produce rubbish figures.
Old 17-10-2007 | 10:59 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

The only rollers that make reasonable accurate repeatable representations are the Dyno-dynamics ones
that's not strictly true

the system they have of supplying similar equipment (specifically the fans) and using the shoot out mode to compare between different sites should make them reasonably comparable, but no more or less accurate than any other and no more comparable than any other make of dyno that would do the same.

it's just marketing, and it's obviously working if people like you believe it

i agree entirely that if he wants to compare before and after results, he needs to go back to the same place and run under the same conditions
Old 17-10-2007 | 11:13 AM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

There was a std S2 but with different exhaust that did 136 at nobles 132 standard
Sheak's S2 was same at Cheshires RR day - std low mileage car with different exhaust 135 bhp
Old 17-10-2007 | 11:52 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Mine didn't make the same power twice mike so thats bullshit for starters
Old 17-10-2007 | 11:54 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

i know what ur saying mate and after dingys latest im dubious about nobles. i know these are accurate as theyve had a brand new standard car on them as a benchmark and came back spot on. and there only bout 3 miles from my back door
Why is that... ?

Cooling is better than TOTD and it hit peak power where it was meant to unlike at TOTD where it made peak power 1000rpm less.
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:06 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dingy

Why is that... ?

Cooling is better than TOTD and it hit peak power where it was meant to unlike at TOTD where it made peak power 1000rpm less.

so i need to watch at what revs i make peak power, make sure boost is holding 32 and make sure acts dont go above 50 c then ideally.
if nobles is accurate then mate should be interesting as she made 442 at nobles on lower boost although i dont know what acts were.
thanks everyone for comments anything else i need to watch ?
il post results once ive been
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:10 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

the rolling road operator will be watching out for the necessary data and problems
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:23 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
the rolling road operator will be watching out for the necessary data and problems
the rolling road operator rarely pays any attention to ACTs - they are usally reading temperature from the sensor that they place by the air filter (whatever use they think it will do there on a turbocharged car)
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:26 PM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
the rolling road operator rarely pays any attention to ACTs - they are usally reading temperature from the sensor that they place by the air filter (whatever use they think it will do there on a turbocharged car)
Give bogus results

Old 17-10-2007 | 12:27 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

we monitor act on our rollers which is a must for any turbo charged car
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:37 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Mitsy FQ but you know your shit (not you're shit ), not all the others do
Old 17-10-2007 | 12:51 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mitsy FQ but you know your shit (not you're shit )
Old 17-10-2007 | 01:20 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

The only rollers that make reasonable accurate repeatable representations are the Dyno-dynamics ones
that's not strictly true

the system they have of supplying similar equipment (specifically the fans) and using the shoot out mode to compare between different sites should make them reasonably comparable, but no more or less accurate than any other and no more comparable than any other make of dyno that would do the same.

it's just marketing, and it's obviously working if people like you believe it

i agree entirely that if he wants to compare before and after results, he needs to go back to the same place and run under the same conditions
From this, I meant that if you follow DD's strict code of conduct to be "accredited", then you should get repeatability from one DD rolling road to the next (as long as they are also "accredited"). If you look at Gary and Christian's results, they were within a few bhp of what they saw on their own rollers to what they got on TOTDs . Whenever I have my cars rolling roaded at APT, I INSIST that it is done using the accredited format, so that it can be compared to any other (accredited) DD rolling road. I'll let one of the operators state the exact conditions of the run, but it has to be in a particular shoot-out mode, the tyres have to be pumped up to 52psi, and the run has to be done in 3rd gear.

Dingly,
I have commented on the peak power reading in a previous post, if you chose to ignore this, then that is your fault . However, at a guess, Chris did it on roller speed and this didn't sync with the actual rpm at high rpm due to tyre growth etc.
Old 17-10-2007 | 01:32 PM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

Dingly,
I have commented on the peak power reading in a previous post, if you chose to ignore this, then that is your fault . However, at a guess, Chris did it on roller speed and this didn't sync with the actual rpm at high rpm due to tyre growth etc.
If the RPM readings on the graph are incorrect then why are they on it ?
Old 17-10-2007 | 01:44 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Where should they take them from? Inlet manifold?
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:04 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Where should they take them from? Inlet manifold?
yeah, anywhere between the outlet of the intercooler and the inlet ports. Probably near the throttle body(s) is ideal.
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:19 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

you can buy and fit your own simple accurate act gauge mike r sells them
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:25 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

This cost me Ł10

Old 17-10-2007 | 02:27 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Steve,
You need to ask Chris, as I was GUESSING at the reason why your peak would be different.

However, unles you know how Noble's obtained their rpm reading compared to how TOTD obtained theirs, it could be that the Noble reading is the incorrect one . You need to establish this to enable criticism to be directed in the right place .
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:30 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by lead_foot
This cost me Ł10

Does that just probe into the boost pipe Is it not secured better?

I want stuff like this, Im paranoid about my car enough at the moment
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Leadfoot,
What is the sample rate of that and what does it read up to?
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:41 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Leadfoot,
What is the sample rate of that and what does it read up to?
The range is -50 degrees right up to 150 degrees Celsius. One second sample rate. Its got a high and low temp alarm and high and low peak recall.
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:52 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Does that just probe into the boost pipe Is it not secured better?

I want stuff like this, Im paranoid about my car enough at the moment
My adaptor is like this:

which attaches to the inlet manifold.
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:52 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

I've got one in the Saff, i think Jim had it off Mike...
Old 17-10-2007 | 02:53 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

lead_foot

Where did you buy it from? Im interested
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:01 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Here's mine..

Old 17-10-2007 | 03:07 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

lead_foot also important is the response time of the sensor, not just the refresh rate. that sensor looks to have quite a large thermal inertia as it is a relatively large bit of metal, so it may not react quickly enough to changes in ACT to monitor them properly, although i am sure that it is adequate for checking for sustained periods of high ACTs and would be good enough for a session on the rollers
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:14 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Here's mine..

Yes, that's one of ours .
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:16 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

lead_foot also important is the response time of the sensor, not just the refresh rate. that sensor looks to have quite a large thermal inertia as it is a relatively large bit of metal, so it may not react quickly enough to changes in ACT to monitor them properly, although i am sure that it is adequate for checking for sustained periods of high ACTs and would be good enough for a session on the rollers
Yes Nick, I understand what you are saying. It can't imagen its got the fastest refresh rate in the world but it seems to suit the application.
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:17 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Here's mine..

How much are these Mike? And what's the temp range?
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:25 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

They've just been discontinued (hence my questions on what to do in the interim), so I am waiting for the new one to be produced, which instead of being back-lit will come with a choice of red, blue or green LCD displays. Temp range will then be up to 1150°C, so that it can be used for air (both pre and post intercooler), water, oil and even EGT! However, I can't see this being available until the new year .
Old 17-10-2007 | 03:35 PM
Cosworth Bassie
Regular Contributor

Here's mine..

Do you also have picture how it is fitted into the inlet manifold?

Quick Reply: cosie going on rollers tues 23 oct anything i need to know ?