General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I Need Some Computer Help - Sound Advice Please?

Search this Thread

Old 15-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Some Computer Help - Sound Advice Please?

My friend has a PC he bought off ebay about 4 years ago, he has upgraded to broabband this month and a friend of a friend came and installed it for him. It wasn't working so I went and had a look and I worked out that he hadn't put the filter in correctly and his internet now works. But this Dinlow has gone and installed XP and he has now sound. The Audio box is 'Greyed' out. And when I go to play a song it tells us he has no soundcard in which he does. I thought maybe his soundcard wasn't compatible with XP? Any adivce is muchly appreciated.

Benni.
Old 15-10-2007, 02:00 AM
digita1dragon
Advanced PassionFord User

First check the sound properties. These can be found in the control panel. You need to navigate to the Audio tab and check the default playback device. It may simply be a case of selecting the appropriate option. If that doesn't work you need to find out if it is an on-board sound card or a PCI sound card.

A PCI card will fill one of the slots on the back of the case. An on-board one will have the connections lumped together with all the other standard outputs on the main part of the rear case.

If it is on-board, you need to find out the motherboard make and model, if it is PCI you will have to identify the card's make and model then get the appropriate driver downloaded and installed

You may need to crack open the case to identify the components. You should take care when doing this as any damage could really cause you problems.

Good luck!
Old 15-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Hi mate, I can't select anything as it is all greyed out. Does that make sense? When I check Device manager under audio I get legacy Audio driver installed and working. It clearly isn't. Thanks mate, I can't even take the battery out my phone without something falling off so I don't want to open up the PC unless I have too.
Old 15-10-2007, 03:07 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does any writing come up when you go to play music, if it does, copy it word for word into google and search

It'll come up with a solution/threads on forums. Has done for me in the past anyway
Old 15-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I tried that and nothing worked. Millions came up but none with the answer.
Old 15-10-2007, 07:25 AM
saphycozzie-adz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

sounds like the sound card doesnt like the drivers xp has patched in. you can try searching the sound card manufacturers website for the propper xp drivers or just get a cheap sound card with drivers included for under £10. this would be an easier optoin.

good luck.
Old 15-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

saphycozzie-adz Thanks mate, I'll have a go.
Old 15-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'm off down now so will give it a go and report back!
Old 15-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by saphycozzie-adz
sounds like the sound card doesnt like the drivers xp has patched in. you can try searching the sound card manufacturers website for the propper xp drivers or just get a cheap sound card with drivers included for under £10. this would be an easier optoin.

good luck.
Its that ! If its on board sound check the motherboard website for a driver, If its seperate PCI card then check the makers site for the soundcard driver.