General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Toad Vs Clifford

Search this Thread

Old 14-10-2007, 05:15 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toad Vs Clifford

Hi all,

Just wondering why Clifford is regarded as the daddy of car security systems and why I never see or hear about many people with Toad systems. I somehow doubt Toad are particularly bad but just wondering what people prefer and why and whats any major advantage/disadvantage of one over the other. The only difference I can see so far is Toad is a damn sight cheaper and more or less can do what a Clifford can.

I have myself a car with a factory Ford Immobilizer and a Toad Alarm on it. Was wondering if it was worth adding a few options to the Toad i.e. immobilizer, proxys, etc etc or just install a full Clifford G5?

Cheers
Old 14-10-2007, 05:19 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two cliffords and swapped to Toad...that should tell you all you need to know.
Old 14-10-2007, 05:20 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Toad Vs Clifford

Originally Posted by pani_k
Hi all,

Just wondering why Clifford is regarded as the daddy of car security systems and why I never see or hear about many people with Toad systems. I somehow doubt Toad are particularly bad but just wondering what people prefer and why and whats any major advantage/disadvantage of one over the other. The only difference I can see so far is Toad is a damn sight cheaper and more or less can do what a Clifford can.

I have myself a car with a factory Ford Immobilizer and a Toad Alarm on it. Was wondering if it was worth adding a few options to the Toad i.e. immobilizer, proxys, etc etc or just install a full Clifford G5?

Cheers
i have a clifford G5 on my saph with the extras, intelle start etc, has been a really good system, i also had a toad AI606 on my last saph with some extras and that was fine to, i cant really choose one over the other, but as most will agree an alarm is only as good as the installation
Old 14-10-2007, 05:21 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

clifford if fitted right.
Old 14-10-2007, 05:21 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Toad Vs Clifford

Originally Posted by coswurv
Hi all,

Cheers
an alarm is only as good as the installation
So true m8 .
Old 14-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

heard folk having problems with both and was worried about having a clifford but as said there as good as theperson fitting it.
but i have heard that toad are really easy to beat supose they probably all are if they want it but just what i heard.
Old 14-10-2007, 05:25 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Both alarms have their own qualities.

Would be good to hear from Stu @ BSC with some real information as to which he thinks is best and for real reasons.

Trending Topics

Old 14-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN

Would be good to hear from Stu @ BSC with some real information as to which he thinks is best and for real reasons.
yip and not just rumours like ive probably heard
Old 14-10-2007, 05:36 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

i basically want something to give me peace of mind that my car aint going to get nicked and also act as a big a deterrent as possible to someone screwing with my car either to scratch it, attempt to nick it or find out if i've got ICE etc.

I've heard the saying many a time the alarm is only as good as the person who installed it and have been told if anyone says they can fit a whole system in a couple of hours to run a mile in the opposite direction.

Can anyone recommend any places to buy one/have one installed? I'm in North London
Old 14-10-2007, 05:47 PM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

Depends how far you want to travel. Motorguard in Birmingham are very good.
Old 14-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Had a clifford on my old car.

Piece of shite. Chirped sometimes, never chirped others. Went off randomly, never locked the boot, loads of stupid faults and noises with it.

was loud, had some goot features but i wasnt overly impressed!
Old 14-10-2007, 05:50 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

I've heard the saying many a time the alarm is only as good as the person who installed it and have been told if anyone says they can fit a whole system in a couple of hours to run a mile in the opposite direction.

Can anyone recommend any places to buy one/have one installed? I'm in North London
I have a full closure Toad which took the fitter the best part of the morning to fit so its either been done right or he was slow

I contacted Toad who put me in touch with a fitter near to me and he came out and fitted it at my home

Never let me down and comes with life time waranty

Regards
Ian
Old 14-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no idea as to which is better, but i currently have a Toad Ai606 on my current car and also had one on my last
Old 14-10-2007, 09:42 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

i found the clifford G5 intelliguard 950 fully fitted at £545 including remote start? worth it?

Also want to add that I dont really want to go too overkill with the alarm system so what features are a "must have" if you like for a good security system?
Old 14-10-2007, 09:50 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And if anyone is looking to have an alarm fitted, this is the man to do it. Seen his work on my mates 3 door and my escos, the man has OCD ...absolutly perfect, my car came back with the inside in BETTER condition than when I dropped it off.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:53 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Always had clifford never had any probs with them

Dave
Old 14-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

ive never had a clifford but tbh the vr6 weve just bought has a toad and its a nightmare, it deadlocks when you start ignition, i aint got a clue how to turn the alarm off properly and look like a twat when trying to turn the damn thing off every 5 seconds

so if any of you nice Toad owners wanna help feel free

sorry im being no help am i
Old 14-10-2007, 09:57 PM
4x4 ste
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by yellowsierra

I have a full closure Toad which took the fitter the best part of the morning to fit so its either been done right or he was slow I contacted Toad who put me in touch with a fitter near to me and he came out and fitted it at my home

Regards
Ian
Am i reading that right? a morning to fit an alarm Mine took 3 days as the interior was stripped and it was installed propperly by stu@bsc. He is the man for any alarm
Old 14-10-2007, 09:57 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

And if anyone is looking to have an alarm fitted, this is the man to do it. Seen his work on my mates 3 door and my escos, the man has OCD ...absolutly perfect, my car came back with the inside in BETTER condition than when I dropped it off.
Website/Email to contact him? Sounds interesting
Old 14-10-2007, 10:01 PM
4x4 ste
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

Website/Email to contact him? Sounds interesting
https://passionford.com/forum/profil...rofile&u=26435
Old 14-10-2007, 10:05 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

cheers mate. blackpool is a bit too far though for an installation. I had a look at a place linked on the ford focus owners club called alarms4u. they are authorized clifford and toad installers. Anyone used them before or know if they are any good? Saw the deal for the clifford on there
Old 14-10-2007, 10:09 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cheers mate. blackpool is a bit too far though for an installation. I had a look at a place linked on the ford focus owners club called alarms4u. they are authorized clifford and toad installers. Anyone used them before or know if they are any good? Saw the deal for the clifford on there
Belive me, it is worth the drive, book the car in for a check-up at MSD at the same time ... We travel from south of Birmingham as the workmanship is so good in both placed
Old 14-10-2007, 11:57 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

intresting read

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0
Old 15-10-2007, 12:57 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 4x4 ste
Originally Posted by yellowsierra

I have a full closure Toad which took the fitter the best part of the morning to fit so its either been done right or he was slow I contacted Toad who put me in touch with a fitter near to me and he came out and fitted it at my home

Regards
Ian
Am i reading that right? a morning to fit an alarm Mine took 3 days as the interior was stripped and it was installed propperly by stu@bsc. He is the man for any alarm
A morning is quite worrying.
Got a concept 650 on the rst and it's never been a let down ever.
Got the intelistart, full closure and turbo timer. Among other trick stuff.
Never delt with any others but i've heard bad stuff about toad
Old 15-10-2007, 05:36 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

There is nothing wrong with either alarm system from a quality/reliability point of view.
Toad tend to have less thrills and cost less, clifford offer and have many features a lot of people might not want, but have to pay for with the higher prices of them.
The metal immobliser boxes are supposed to be screwd down to a metal panel, I have never seen one that is.
I have had to fix every installed alarm I had fitted even though they were all VSIB approved, just not properly but of course this is down to the moron that fitted them, even going to the extent of putting one where rainwater flooded in, behind a kick panel on a mk2 astra(as it was designed to, water channel), so everytime I braked heavy the engine cut out, replaced under warranty, lucky as the bloke is now doing them around london area.
I have since found out he blitzes an area for a few years then moves on incase of problems down to his/partners workmanship which is truly shocking.
The autolock feature can EASILY be turned off, as can the beep on the ai606 be turned on/off or three different volumes.
I look at it this way, why pay for features you don't want, why have more features if you don't want them as it is something else which has the POTENTIAL to go wrong.
Any alarm/immobiliser can EASILY be bypassed, but if installed decently will buy you time doing it, this is time the thief does not have.
Internal sirens are an ace idea as you cannot think with one of these going off in a confined space.
Some makes of car can be opened without even touching the car!!, to steal things from them, quite a few actually and without causing any damage, another stupid idea from some manufacturers of VERY expensive cars.
I use TOAD as I don't want all the "toys" that clifford have just a basic alarm that is reliable.
All I would say is get it from someone who has PREMISES, where it is fitted, and has been trading for years with a reccomendation from others, if it means traveling so what, better you do the travelling now rather than some pikey doing the travelling in your car later!!
tabetha
Old 15-10-2007, 11:21 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by tabetha
All I would say is get it from someone who has PREMISES, where it is fitted, and has been trading for years with a reccomendation from others, if it means traveling so what, better you do the travelling now rather than some pikey doing the travelling in your car later!!
tabetha
Sounds good to me. What about places that can install on premises or can send an engineer round to your house?

EDIT: after reading all those horror stories travelling to Birmingham might not seem such a bad idea now...

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the London region though that can install alarms properly or are authorized installers of clifford/toad? If not, looks like I'll be going up to Birmingham.
Old 15-10-2007, 01:01 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would actually have to agree with Tabetha on this one. Neither alarm system is ACTUALLY that bad. I have both Clifford G5 systems and Toad systems on my vehicles. I used to install both types and I always asked the customer what they were after in an alarm:
gizmos and gadgets = Clifford
simple and reliable = Toad

Half a day to install an alarm..... rushing it. Like Stu @ BSC, I used to remove most of the interior to install and never fitted units in the recommended places. Too easy to find that way.

@ Discko&Sarah: the installer has tapped into the deadlock wire instead of the normal lock wire on the central locking system. You should have it set to lock, with one of the accessory outputs to do the dealocking if required.

@ Coldo: with regards never locking the boot, that should be a vehicle wiring issue, not an alarm issue as if the doors lock, then so should the boot.